Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Nothing in the rumor mill today? ?

I'm with you.  Sabres put out a tweet recapping the summer, I thought there was another trade and I was so excited.  Except, it was nothing.  Boo. Hiss.  Botterill still has plenty to do...let's go!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I really think everything is hinging on Point and Marner. Once that's decided a few UFA's can decide, trades can happen, etc. 

Getting Gardiner would mean Scandella/McCabe are gone. And if they're gone we might be waiting on Gardiner to package Scandella/Ristolainen somewhere; say, Tampa Bay, who's waiting on Point, who's waiting on Marner

On 7/15/2019 at 10:37 AM, ExWNYer said:

Welcome to the board, Chevy. I see that you finally crossed over from TBD. I lurked here for years before posting. I'm sure people wish I'd kept it that way (not that I post much anyway). ??

On 7/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, Chevyvanmiller said:

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat.

Welcome Chevy and both of you should post often!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I really think everything is hinging on Point and Marner. Once that's decided a few UFA's can decide, trades can happen, etc. 

Getting Gardiner would mean Scandella/McCabe are gone. And if they're gone we might be waiting on Gardiner to package Scandella/Ristolainen somewhere; say, Tampa Bay, who's waiting on Point, who's waiting on Marner

If we could get Tyler Johnson from Tampa I'd welcome it yet with us close to the cap it likely cost us Risto which wouldn't give us much cap room unless we could cap dump someone else. Maybe in a possible three way with Risto to Edmonton, McCabe goes to Tampa with Pulujujarvi and we get Johnson?

Edited by The Jokeman

12 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

For the 100th time. Johnson has a full NTC. He has to want to come here rather than stay in Tampa. That seems...unlikely.

Tampa's seems stuck with all their NTCs, just trying to make something happen. In an ideal world we could trade Risto to Winnipeg for Connor and sign him to a short deal and shift Reinhart to 2C. 

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

For the 100th time. Johnson has a full NTC. He has to want to come here rather than stay in Tampa. That seems...unlikely.

Yep.  Stevie Y didn't do BriseBois any favors with the NTCs.  I know he did what he thought he had to do, but he really handcuffed the organization as he bolted (yeah, I took the easy shot) back to Detroit.

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also our Cap space for this year isn't that big any more, we need to move substract before we can add.

If I'm not mistaken, you can exceed the cap by 10% in the off season as long as you fall into compliance by the official start date of the season, which is normally in the first week or 2 of October.

That being the case, the cap currently sits at $81,500,000 and the Sabres, as of today, currently sit at $76,384,524. Adding the 10% off season escalator puts the off season cap at $89,650,000. When deducting where the Sabres currently are the off season cap space before the season start sits at $13,265,476.

If my math is correct, and I'm no expert but looks accurate, we have plenty of room to bring in pieces and sign McCabe and Ullmark. I don't think the cap space is such a big issue for off season moves so far. I think it has much more to do with Botterill working a monster deal along with a minor one, shipping out some players and returning a couple all while also pursuing Gardiner, if rumors are to be believed.

Once again, if the math is off, I'm not seeing it.

25 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

If my math is correct, and I'm no expert but looks accurate, we have plenty of room to bring in pieces and sign McCabe and Ullmark. I don't think the cap space is such a big issue for off season moves so far. I think it has much more to do with Botterill working a monster deal along with a minor one, shipping out some players and returning a couple all while also pursuing Gardiner, if rumors are to be believed.

I agree.  Besides a monster deal involving Risto, I see a few minor ones to replenish our draft picks in the coming years.  JBOT has always maintained that he builds through the draft and we are currently down 2 3rds and a 5th in the next 3 years.  I see JBOT trying to get those back, if not better.

3 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I agree.  Besides a monster deal involving Risto, I see a few minor ones to replenish our draft picks in the coming years.  JBOT has always maintained that he builds through the draft and we are currently down 2 3rds and a 5th in the next 3 years.  I see JBOT trying to get those back, if not better.

I’ve thought of this too.

The contract statuses of Bogosian, Scandella, Sheary, Vesey, Zemgus and Larsson demands some kind of sell-off that should at least replenish those missing thirds.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve thought of this too.

The contract statuses of Bogosian, Scandella, Sheary, Vesey, Zemgus and Larsson demands some kind of sell-off that should at least replenish those missing thirds.

Heaven forbid we are out of it again at the trade deadline next year, I would think ALL of those players that you mentioned should be traded for picks.

Oh yeah, and JBOT can trade Sobotka today for a conditional bag of pucks.

Edited by Tondas

On 7/14/2019 at 8:33 PM, thewookie1 said:

RNH & Kassian

for

Risto & Sheary (450k retained)

Cap Neutral

Any thoughts?

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Olafsson - RNH - Vesey

Johansson - Mitts - Okposo

Larsson - ERod - Kassian

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Jokiharu

Pilut - Miller

Extras: Wilson, Girgs, Hunwick

Bought out Scandella, buried Sobotka

I love it, but I don't think any Risto-RNH trade is happening unless we're giving up significantly more. Why is Edmonton willing to trade RNH anyway? I've seen these rumors floating around, and I want to believe...

Also, check out your D-men lineup. With the Gardiner rumors and the McCabe trade rumors, how about:

Dahlin - Montour

Gardiner - Jokiharju

Pilut - Miller

Notice that this would be a complete overhaul of Housley's first-year D-men crew, which of course is a very good thing. JBot is finally getting serious about winning hockey games. A little on the late side, but better late than never.

28 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I love it, but I don't think any Risto-RNH trade is happening unless we're giving up significantly more. Why is Edmonton willing to trade RNH anyway? I've seen these rumors floating around, and I want to believe...

Also, check out your D-men lineup. With the Gardiner rumors and the McCabe trade rumors, how about:

Dahlin - Montour

Gardiner - Jokiharju

Pilut - Miller

Notice that this would be a complete overhaul of Housley's first-year D-men crew, which of course is a very good thing. JBot is finally getting serious about winning hockey games. A little on the late side, but better late than never.

McCabe trade rumors? ?

This is the slow season.  Once arbitration results begin coming out teams have to make the next round of moves as they shore it up for pre-season.

So, I don't expect much until around the first week of August.

I would suspect Botterill has been in talks with all the teams facing a cap squeeze, particularly those with uncertainty over an RFA: Winnipeg, Calgary, Tampa, Toronto...

And I suspect he is one of many doing the same.

Those GMs probably have a number of contingencies planned depending on where their talks go and what they decide will determine what paths the contingencies take. The dominoes are real.

Just now, dudacek said:

I would suspect Botterill has been in talks with all the teams facing a cap squeeze, particularly those with uncertainty over an RFA: Winnipeg, Calgary, Tampa, Toronto...

And I suspect he is one of many doing the same.

Those GMs probably have a number of contingencies planned depending on where their talks go and what they decide will determine what paths the contingencies take. The dominoes are real.

Yup that's my thinking as well. Winnipeg - Laine, Calgary - Tkachuck, Tampa - Point, Toronto - Marner...those teams have to figure out how much they're going to pay those guys first before they do anything, and that's a lot of the market

We seem to be at around the cap assuming we sign the rest of our restricted free agents.  How are we going to be helpful to teams that need to shed salaries (i.e., players) to create space if we are currently at around the cap?

Edited by jahnyc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

We seem to at around the cap assuming we sign the rest of our restricted free agents.  How are we going to be helpful to teams that need to shed salaries (i.e., players) to create space if we are currently at around the cap?

We aren't.  That ship sailed when we signed Johansson.

If we sign a player like Gardiner then I bet we trade out Bogosian/Scandella/Hunwick/Nelson for scraps to some other team who has room though and wants the vet 3rd pairing.

25 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

We aren't.  That ship sailed when we signed Johansson.

If we sign a player like Gardiner then I bet we trade out Bogosian/Scandella/Hunwick/Nelson for scraps to some other team who has room though and wants the vet 3rd pairing.

I generally agree, but no one is going to take Bogo or Hunwick without being paid to do so, and I suspect the cost will be higher than JB is willing to pay.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.