Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know the Canes can’t trade Aho for a year if they match, but can they trade his rights giving a new team the right to match?

I may be wrong but I think once a team puts in an offersheet the player can’t be moved.

Just now, WildCard said:

Not sure but they already matched 

I don’t think they have, they’ve just stated that they are going to.

I read somewhere that they intend to wait the full period before making it official in order to ***** with the Habs and prevent them from making any other moves.

Just now, dudacek said:

I don’t think they have, they’ve just stated that they are going to.

I read somewhere that they intend to wait the full period before making it official in order to ***** with the Habs and prevent them from making any other moves.

Even if they haven't formally matched, they can't trade his rights, as he has no rights. He has a contract with Montreal.

The way the summer is going, you’d have to think that, along with Risto, Rodrigues Sheary Nylander Scandella and McCabe shouldn’t be looking too hard for houses in Buffalo this summer.

I’d add Girgs Larsson and Nelson to that list, and Sobotka and Hunwick will only be here if the Sabres can’t find anywhere else to put them.

There just isn’t going to be room for all these guys. Some will have to be moved.

It might seem slow and has lacked the big move, but the roster surgery is happening.

• Like (+1) 6

The athletic has a story about how much cashish the sabres will have next summer (spoiler alert: the term "free agent frenzy" was used).

Can't read it all b/c I don't subscribe. Can't link it b/c I don't know where I saw it. Lazy Saturday here at lake winnepesaukee.

Edited by will
My speling stincks

2 hours ago, will said:

The athletic has a story about how much cashish the sabres will have next summer (spoiler alert: the term "free agent frenzy" was used).

Can't read it all b/c I don't subscribe. Can't link it b/c I don't know where I saw it. Lazy Saturday here at lake winnepesaukee.

You've pretty much nailed the article right there. Just speculation about who we could bring in when we shed the UFA dead weight next summer.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

The way the summer is going, you’d have to think that, along with Risto, Rodrigues Sheary Nylander Scandella and McCabe shouldn’t be looking too hard for houses in Buffalo this summer.

I’d add Girgs Larsson and Nelson to that list, and Sobotka and Hunwick will only be here if the Sabres can’t find anywhere else to put them.

There just isn’t going to be room for all these guys. Some will have to be moved.

It might seem slow and has lacked the big move, but the roster surgery is happening.

• Second Liner
  •  
  • Scottysabres
  • Members
  • 2,549 posts

I get a gut feeling Marcus Johansson will be a Sabres in the next couple days.

9 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

If you offer sheet WPG they're not going to match and then make a trade with you.

The “...but matchable” part was intended to say that they will match. Whether they load of another player to the Sabres or to another team, it doesn’t matter. A player will be moved and could have a domino effect. The intent of the offer sheet is to produce a significant amount of cap pressure. It’s us dictating contract terms on to another GM. And it they don’t match, then we get a player for a cheaper price. 

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

You've pretty much nailed the article right there. Just speculation about who we could bring in when we shed the UFA dead weight next summer.

Its easy to hate on Jbot, but he is playing the long game and I'm going along with him.

tbh I am drunk right now but if I was in his shoes

• I don't care what is happening next year.
  • I get a shot at lafreniere
  • Eichel is one of the few young stars that is willing to play for his team on a long term deal.  He took a discount and all the others are going on short 5 year UFA deals.
  • I got Dhalin and Samson to sign next summer, so I keep some restraint on the current UFA market
  • Our 4th line with Zemgus and Johan was excellent, they know it and next summer I might have to sign them to 3rd line deals.
  • He knows our middle six is an issue, but he is fixing our Defense first this year.
  • UPL will be a beast in 2020.
  • we will come out of nowhere in 2020 - 2021.
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, kas23 said:

I would offer sheet them for a high, but matchable price. This could then pressure them into having to move someone else, perhaps for Risto. 

11 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

If you offer sheet WPG they're not going to match and then make a trade with you.

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

The “...but matchable” part was intended to say that they will match. Whether they load of another player to the Sabres or to another team, it doesn’t matter. A player will be moved and could have a domino effect. The intent of the offer sheet is to produce a significant amount of cap pressure. It’s us dictating contract terms on to another GM. And it they don’t match, then we get a player for a cheaper price. 

But you literally said that the hope was that they maybe make a trade with Buffalo involving Risto.

If they are going to trade another player to another team in order to afford the offer sheet contract, how does that help Buffalo?  

The team that makes a trade for Ehlers, for example, is likely going to be able to afford him and probably won’t have to move a piece.  Even if they do, what is the likelihood that the piece they end up moving is someone who Buffalo needs or wants?  Probably pretty low.

To me, that’s a pretty backwards way of trying to use an offer sheet to get a play you would like to have.  First of all, when/if the “dominos” fall after a trade is made, the player/s who shake loose are unlikely to be ones you want/need.  Second, these offer sheets are contracts that the players are actually signing.  I doubt many players want to go through the trouble of signing one when they know they are just a pawn in Buffalo’s ploy to try to shake loose some pieces from other teams.

Edited by Curt

There is one thing I don't get about offer sheets and the romance about them.  Everyone is expecting them to be used to target the Tier 1 guys.

Like Marner, Aho hell even Vanek in the past,   I think they should be used more to target the Tier below them and hope they get to the Tier 1 level.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There is one thing I don't get about offer sheets and the romance about them.  Everyone is expecting them to be used to target the Tier 1 guys.

Like Marner, Aho hell even Vanek in the past,   I think they should be used more to target the Tier below them and hope they get to the Tier 1 level.

The guys just below tier one are often more in line for long-term deals because they want that security, though. That makes them next to impossible to offer sheet because if you go to seven years it’s hard to keep the compensation below the multiple firsts.

A 7-year deal for $3M is a first and a third.

A 7-year deal for $4.5M is a first, second and third.

A 7-year deal for $6M per it’s two firsts, a second and a third.

A 7-year deal for $7.6M per is four firsts.

Edited by Hoss

On 7/5/2019 at 7:54 PM, tom webster said:

An interesting conversation that may or may not have some substance. After all, it is a speculation  thread.

Buffalo had serious conversations with Aho’s people and were prepared to make an offer they believe would not have been matched.

The sense was that Aho really wanted to stay with Carolina and used Montreal to get what contract he wanted.

Montreal got cred with both its fans and players.

Furthermore, the belief is that Florida is working a mammoth short term deal for Marner.

This has Buffalo implications in two ways. It makes Florida a potential trade partner.  It also could impact them in the sense that they have pondered an offer for Laine but he may be waiting on Toronto who may decide to take Florida’s picks and go after Laine.

Finally, Jake Gardiner is waiting on it all to play out as well for obvious reasons.

A drunken conversation? An informed source? Who knows? Could just be speculation.

The Sabres are pondering? And who's waiting on Toronto, Laine?

On 7/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, dudacek said:

If that is true about Aho, my respect for Botterill grew.

I’d be sad if the Sabres are considering Laine ahead of players like Point and Tkachuk, unless it is simply an informed judgement on how successful their attempt may be.

Not sure I want Laine at the cost of 4 1sts.

Laine is bad, not just below average, bad at everything about hockey aside from his shot, and he has bad underlying metrics. I don't want Laine so I hope it's not true they are considering signing him. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Unless we slash some payroll we aren’t adding any other players other then the RFAs.   Dreaming is great, but the reality is we can’t afford it.

Well, some payroll is going to be cut I think.  I just can’t see Buffalo entering the season with all these D on NHL contracts on the roster plus Sobotka.  There are going to some moves made that will open up a little money.

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Well, some payroll is going to be cut I think.  I just can’t see Buffalo entering the season with all these D on NHL contracts on the roster plus Sobotka.  There are going to some moves made that will open up a little money.

It’s going to have to be about 4-5 mill minimum in cut payroll to afford anyone decent to good.  

29 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Unless we do something silly like trade Risto for RNH straight up. They make the same money, don’t they?

Sure a "hockey" trade could work, and Risto is the most likely to get traded.  However, is there any indication that RNH is even on the trading block?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.