Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Physically? Risto is bigger and stronger and possibly faster.  Are we operating on different assumptions of what "physically gifted means?

Just now, darksabre said:

I'm factoring skating into this equation.

Gardiner is absolutely a better skater, in both speed and form. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

image.thumb.png.9774e926777c78d19657b47af74ca07b.png

***rabble rabble quality of teammates****Morgan Riley absorbs tougher minutes***I have no data to back up my position*****stats are for nerds***

Goes back to watching Don Cherry Rock 'Em Sock 'Em videos from the early 90'S

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, I think he's just as bad at Risto while in his own end. He's just so much better at transitioning the puck that he doesn't get trapped there for entire shifts at a time. 

That’s a huge part of what defense is.  Getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

5 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

That’s a huge part of what defense is.  Getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

A huge part of that is also having the forwards to make smart choices, our forward group is so bad Gardiner might have same stats as Risto playing here.

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

These Gardiner rumors just wont go away. Obviously would lead to more reshuffling. 

Maybe Botterill rebuilding the entire D in 1 off season is a good thing? Not sure.

15 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If the Sabres landed Gardiner what that would say to me is that the market value for Risto is IN THE TANK and all of this "some GMs think he's a first pairing D man" stuff is totally out to lunch.

Gardiner is a left shot, does he play the right side? I'm not sure what position he played on D.

20 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If the Sabres landed Gardiner what that would say to me is that the market value for Risto is IN THE TANK and all of this "some GMs think he's a first pairing D man" stuff is totally out to lunch.

I'm not understanding your logic on this.  Why is adding Gardiner a sign that Risto's trade value is very low?

20 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Interesting take.  And so, real question, what does he do to pare down the roster?  Trade bodies for picks?  That seems like the only thing he can do if he can't trade bodies for bodies. 

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

A huge part of that is also having the forwards to make smart choices, our forward group is so bad Gardiner might have same stats as Risto playing here.

Its true.  I think Risto is not very good at making quality outlet passes though.  Even compared to some of his fellow Sabres defensemen.

7 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I'm not understanding your logic on this.  Why is adding Gardiner a sign that Risto's trade value is very low?

It's purely a numbers thing. Signing Gardiner makes Risto's cap hit untenable and gives us too many players to protect for expansion. It would immediately dilute Risto's value.

6 minutes ago, ... said:

Interesting take.  And so, real question, what does he do to pare down the roster?  Trade bodies for picks?  That seems like the only thing he can do if he can't trade bodies for bodies. 

It's gonna be D for picks and forwards you gotta think.

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The regression models take team context into account. If you want to argue the measures they use to do that, or contend the particular regressions employed aren't statistically appropriate, have at it. But those factors are not being ignored. 

Just now, darksabre said:

It's purely a numbers thing. Signing Gardiner makes Risto's cap hit untenable and gives us too many players to protect for expansion. It would immediately dilute Risto's value.

Ah, ok, I see what you mean.  It dilutes his value moving forward because other teams will feel that Buffalo NEEDS to make a move.

I would say that they wouldn't need to make a trade immediately.  The signing wouldn't put them over the cap. 

A Gardiner signing could mean that a Risto, or other D, trade is already well in the works and is imminent.  Its all speculative right now anyway.  We don't even know the reliability of this report that Buffalo is in on Gardiner.  We'll see how things shake out.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's gonna be D for picks and forwards you gotta think.

My question, upon review, wasn't worded correctly.  The answer is obvious based on the way I worded it.  Sorry to affect the collective IQ of the board. 

What I meant to ask was what is he EXPECTING to do after acquiring all of these players (especially if the Gardiner thing comes to pass)?  Sure, we don't know  really (do we?), but I'm not picking up a pattern or thread that indicates any strategy here other than "get the ones you can when you can and worry about it later".  Sort of like he's building up a big blob of clay to eventually start carving away into some sculpture.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.