Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Fun fact, the KHL regular season is only 62 games long.  24 goals in a season there translates to 32 in a season here. He's been over a point per game player there the last 4 years and has performed well in the playoffs (68 points in 66 playoff games over the last 4 years).  He has 82 points last regular season. That's the NHL equivalent of 108. For comparison the most goals Panarin scored in the KHL was 26 and his highest point total was 62. Kuznetzov's highest totals were 19 goals 44 points. Ovechkin had 19 goals/40 points in 31 games played during the last lockout.

One detraction is he played for SKA which is Putin's baby and basically the anointed super team of the league.  On the flip side there is lots of scrutiny and pressure to perform at that club and he has. Another detraction, he's listed at 5'9" 154 and is used to playing on bigger ice.  Could he be worth a shot?  Sure.  Could it amount to nothing? Sure.

Seriously. 2x2 is essentially free.  

Gusev is also listed as a LW, and judging by the Sabres roster, he would fit nicely into Botterill's plan of signing every high risk/high reward left winger on the current market.

5 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Seriously. 2x2 is essentially free.  

If they paid him 2m per the only players getting paid less than him who aren't on an ELC (or an RFA with a QO, because I don't know what those numbers look like) would be Casey Nelson and Scott Wilson.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Gusev hasn't played a minute of NHL hockey, and he's 27....   most goals he's ever scored in one KHL season is 24.   Antipin part duex? 

Vladimir Tarasenko? Artemi Panarin? i dont follow .. what do you mean, that if youve not played a minute of NHL theres no way you will fit? 

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

He's listed at 163lbs.  He most likely doesn't have the skills to play in the NHL at that size.

I guess Artemi Panarin doesnt either than, beeing listed at 168 lbs.. or ? i dont know, what do you think?  ?

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

Vladimir Tarasenko? Artemi Panarin? i dont follow .. what do you mean, that if youve not played a minute of NHL theres no way you will fit? 

I guess Artemi Panarin doesnt either than, beeing listed at 168 lbs.. or ? i dont know, what do you think?  ?

What's the percentage of guys in the NHL who weigh more than 170lbs? 98%? 99%?

The exception here doesn't break the rule.

Maybe Vegas is making a mistake, but GMs are pretty risk-adverse and most are going to play the odds that Gusev is not the next Paranin.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Nashville eats 2 mill per season on Turris’ deal would you take him.  I think I would.

Outside of last season, what are the fancy stats on Turris?

Turris turns 30 next month.  I'm not interested in ignoring last year's fancy stats.  Obviously not crazy old but this is the beginning of looking exclusively at what he has done lately and not 5 or even 3 years ago.

3 minutes ago, freester said:

What is his contract situation?

5 years left at $6 per.  So if Nashville retained $2 then $4 mil per season for 6 years.  Even at $4 mil I'm not touching him and his 7 goals last year and 16 the season before.

Edited by Derrico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

What's the percentage of guys in the NHL who weigh more than 170lbs? 98%? 99%?

The exception here doesn't break the rule.

Maybe Vegas is making a mistake, but GMs are pretty risk-adverse and most are going to play the odds that Gusev is not the next Paranin.

Well all you do here is guessing, no offense, im speaking of facts that it is obviously no problem beeing small in NHL as long as u have skills and he obviously have skills, if we would go back a few years you would be here stating "nah, panarin is to small, he wont make it"  wouldnt you(?) and obviously he did, big time.

Nikita Gusev over last 3 regular seasons in KHL

173 games - 215 points

International games, World Championship and Olympics, last 3 seasons 65 games - 92 points

That is some impressive stats for sure and this guy is no joke, id say the chance for him making it in NHL is pretty high when speaking of facts.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Well all you do here is guessing, no offense, im speaking of facts that it is obviously no problem beeing small in NHL as long as u have skills and he obviously have skills, if we would go back a few years you would be here stating "nah, panarin is to small, he wont make it"  wouldnt you(?) and obviously he did, big time.

173 games - 215 points

International games, World Championship and Olympics, last 3 seasons 65 games - 92 points

That is some impressive stats for sure and this guy is no joke, id say the chance for him making it in NHL is pretty high when speaking of facts.

That guy can score. He is good choice for every team.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Turris turns 30 next month.  I'm not interested in ignoring last year's fancy stats.  Obviously not crazy old but this is the beginning of looking exclusively at what he has done lately and not 5 or even 3 years ago.

It's not crazy to think Turris could have a few good years left in a better situation, but yea, he's at the point where the good-but-not-great players usually feel the aging curve. If Nashville retains 50% and we get him for nothing, I'd consider it if we strike out on every other option. But if any of those conditions aren't met, I wouldn't touch him. 

7 hours ago, darksabre said:

I was actually just giving this some thought. Here's where I'm at.

St. Louis - They have a bunch of RFAs they need to qualify. Risto for Schenn and a pick/prospect. Schenn is about the same salary and has one year left on his deal. St. Louis gives us a pick because Risto has term whereas Schenn is basically a rental. He's a good stop-gap 2nd line center. Maybe the return is higher if we also take another cap dump. It could also be Risto for Perron depending on the NTC.

Vegas - I'm not sure on this one, mostly because I think Risto is too clumsy for Vegas' style of play. I think they might honestly want someone with more "jump", but they need D and Stastny would be a good return for us.

Anaheim - They need D and they have a TON of forwards. They aren't in cap trouble this year, but they will be next year, so they might want to move some money this year so they can handle their RFAs next year.

I'm not trading with St. Louis again. (Plus they have Pietrangelo and Parayko on the right side.)

Vegas isn't taking money in...any trade with them would be like the Miller trade.

Anaheim...meh, they have nothing that interests me but Rakell, and they're not trading him. (And as a rebuilding team, they're not trading Terry, Steel, Jones, Comtois, etc.)

Edmonton and Winnipeg make the most sense...and Chicago, but they can't afford it.

46 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

173 games - 215 points

Well there's the fact also that he's 27 and the team who owns his rights decide to cut ties with him. And that team is considered to be one of the better run franchises in the NHL, who probably is aware of Panarin.

And there's the fact that no NHL team showed  enough interest in Gusev to even offer Vegas a 7th round pick for his rights.

And there's also the fact that the KHL isn't considered a major feeder to the NHL (how many top ten KHL scorers make it to the NHL), so success in that league doesn't necessarily translate to success on the NHL.

Maybe a team takes a chance on Gusev and he turns out to be Panarin jr.  Or, more likely, he turns out to be Gerbe jr.  Can't blame the GMs who shy away from taking that risk.

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Well there's the fact also that he's 27 and the team who owns his rights decide to cut ties with him. And that team is considered to be one of the better run franchises in the NHL, who probably is aware of Panarin.

And there's the fact that no NHL team showed  enough interest in Gusev to even offer Vegas a 7th round pick for his rights.

And there's also the fact that the KHL isn't considered a major feeder to the NHL (how many top ten KHL scorers make it to the NHL), so success in that league doesn't necessarily translate to success on the NHL.

Maybe a team takes a chance on Gusev and he turns out to be Panarin jr.  Or, more likely, he turns out to be Gerbe jr.  Can't blame the GMs who shy away from taking that risk.

only if he wants too much.  Greater risk of paying Panarin 11 million. Vegas just doesn't have a cap space

Edited by Berg

41 minutes ago, jad1 said:

There is also the fact that there’s about 5 teams with the cap space and assets to acquire him, he could just bolt back to Russia if you upset him and maybe Vegas isn’t so smartly run as they have run into cap hell after only two years.

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There is also the fact that there’s about 5 teams with the cap space and assets to acquire him, he could just bolt back to Russia if you upset him and maybe Vegas isn’t so smartly run as they have run into cap hell after only two years.

That Pacioretty contract. Woof.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Bingo

Here is Turris’s Goals and Wins Above Replacement for his career. Too many downturns for my taste

F8173A47-20B5-4C24-8E52-A9812DC44BEF.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bold prediction Kyle Turris will be the Sabres 2c come opening day.

The deal will look something like this:  Turris and a very good prospect and $2 Mill per year in cap retention for CJ Smith and a 6th rd pick.

He looks like Lucic in Edmonton...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, jad1 said:

He is looking for 2 year 8 million contract, Vegas does not have that cap space first of all, second of all its always a risk and Vegas is only willing to pay half of what he wants and still they dont have cap space, they need to move even more pieces to make it happen, so i dont know where your going with your statement here other than id agree its a risk, everything is, more or less. 

Well, his rights or not he is still looking for that salary and to be fair there are enough good players already in NHL to be traded for that can produce so i dont blame them, i dont know if Vegas has gotten any offers for him or not but that doesnt really matter, why would they want to give him away for a 7th pick? 

I actually have no clue about how many top 10 goal scores in KHL that has made the NHL, obviously you do so tell me, not that it really matters when were speaking of size here. You were using his size as your source for saying he wouldnt make it in NHL, you said and i quote " He's listed at 163lbs. He most likely doesn't have the skills to play in the NHL at that size. obviously you are wrong in this statement, no matter how much players score or not in KHL before transmitting to NHL. We can agree on this i would assume (?) ?

If i were a GM i wouldnt pay him 8 million for 2 years either to be fair unless i had capspace deluxe and already a good setup of players, looking at his production of points in khl, olympics, world championship etc states that he is skilled, that still doesnt confirm he would make it in NHL, Vegas also failed with Vadim Shipachyov that failed and moved back to Russia, his stats vere pretty good to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.