Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pavelski will not want to join a rebuild and Buffalo would be crazy to spend enough money to lure him.  

Yea! Who needs a 30g 35a center that has loads of playoff experience and is a leader. Not the Sabres that's for sure. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

And if he only agreed on the condition it was a 3 year $33 million dollar contract?

I'd expect to get him to move to Buffalo it would take a 4 year deal.  & at his age, they'd be on the hook for the full hit.  So that'd be a 'no' here.  Unless they expect (with reasonable certainty) to be allowed 2 compliance buyouts (or they knew Okposo is expecting to have headache issues forcing him to LTIR after this season) and wouldn't have to use them immediately upon a new CBA being finalized.

Edited by Taro T

58 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pavelski will not want to join a rebuild and Buffalo would be crazy to spend enough money to lure him. 

I heart Pavelski. I heart heart Pavelski. Like Anakin and Padme... Aname. That's me and Pavelski.

But I would lose respect for him if he came to the Sabres. Dude has been on SJ all his life. He's never won a Cup. He needs to be going all-out "1990s/2000s veteran goes to Detroit for the Cup" mode. Sign a 1-year deal with the best team for frugal cash, and if that doesn't work, go to the best team the year after. He absolutely should not come here if he wants to win a championship in his window. (Although Pavelski for $6Mx3 on our second line would go a big way to helping us open our window. Moreso, in my opinion, than giving Duchene a $8Mx7 contract.)

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea! Who needs a 30g 35a center that has loads of playoff experience and is a leader. Not the Sabres that's for sure. 

I am assuming it will take an exorbitant contract to get him and given his age I don’t think spending a big contract on him is a smart move.   If we were a legitimate playoff team then sure.  Since we are not I’ll stand by my statement.  

We are in the bottom 5 in the league until proven otherwise.  Now if JBot can lure him to Buffalo for a good price then by all means do it.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Nice to see the Sabres listed so we know they’re alive, but yeah, on to the next. Sabres have no shot at landing Pavelski. In fact, Craig Rivet who is friends with Pavelski said on the radio he’s all but a lock to re-sign in SJ. 

If he's all but locked up for SJ, as Rivet suggests, then why is he meeting with Dallas and Tampa? Something isn't lining up here...….

https://www.tsn.ca/san-jose-sharks-captain-joe-pavelski-to-make-ufa-visits-this-week-1.1327675

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

I would give Pavs $19.5m. Doesn’t matter to me how it’s broken up. He’s shown little signs of slowing down and he’s the exact type of player Buffalo needs. There’s nobody else I would prefer in FA. 

Interesting.  Spend $5 to $7M on him?     Will we be able to extend Reinhart and Dahlin and still fix the other holes?   I’m not a cap follower but that is a consideration. 

I worry about him hitting the wall like Okposdo, Gionta, Pommer. I know he is a better player by far but can he remain at that level? 

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting.  Spend $5 to $7M on him?     Will be able to extend Reinhart and Dahlin and still fix the other holes?   I’m nit a cap follower but that is a consideration   

I worry about him hitting the wall like Okposdo, Gionta, Pommer. I know he is a better player by far but can he remain at that level.  

In an ideal world it would be $6.5m x 3 years. With that contract and the money coming off the books, there won’t be an issue with re-signing our guys. Worst case I over-pay and throw $8.5m x 2. He fills out center spine this and next season. Again, we have a ton of space next season. That contract would allow us to add another wing as well. So not $19.5 no matter what, but close to it. I expect him to be 65 point player this season and in the 50s next. What he brings to the room is worth the difference. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Hoss my man you have me daydreaming Paul Stastny 

He’s the perfect stop gap 2C. Two years and his contract is up. The question is does he waive his M-NTC to come here? 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is Stastny worth *daydreaming* about? He'd be a nice add, but I need convincing. 

realistic non-Stastny 2C options for next year:
Sobotka
Mittelstadt
Rodrigues
Turris?
Bonino?
Brassard?
Haula?
Wennberg?

What else is conceivable in the real world?

I can't pretend I've seen a lot of Stastny recently, so I don't have a huge amount of details and could be mistaken about what he is, but his deal is golden for the situation we have (completely out of our hair after 2 seasons, which is enough time to find a long term option or develop Mitts into one) and he's got all the fancy stats that would tickle you pink unlike pretty much every other player on that list. He just seems to be a tier or seven above every other realistic option that pops into my head. 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He’s the perfect stop gap 2C. Two years and his contract is up. The question is does he wave his M-NTC to come here? 

Oh ***** I didn't know about this

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

He’s the perfect stop gap 2C. Two years and his contract is up. The question is does he waive his M-NTC to come here? 

Welp ?

53 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

realistic non-Stastny 2C options for next year:
Sobotka
Mittelstadt
Rodrigues
Turris?
Bonino?
Brassard?
Haula?
Wennberg?

What else is conceivable in the real world?

I can't pretend I've seen a lot of Stastny recently, so I don't have a huge amount of details and could be mistaken about what he is, but his deal is golden for the situation we have (completely out of our hair after 2 seasons, which is enough time to find a long term option or develop Mitts into one) and he's got all the fancy stats that would tickle you pink unlike pretty much every other player on that list. He just seems to be a tier or seven above every other realistic option that pops into my head. 

Oh ***** I didn't know about this

I'm more worried about durability than level of play. He had a 63 game season followed by a 5p game season, and he hasn't gotten any younger. Adding a 2C only does so much if he turns around and misses 40% of the season.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Welp ?

I'm more worried about durability than level of play. He had a 63 game season followed by a 5p game season, and he hasn't gotten any younger. Adding a 2C only does so much if he turns around and misses 40% of the season.

I'd rather have Stastny miss 40% of the season than have [actually nonexistent competent 2C] miss every second of ice time this year! 

I get it though. 

I'm not thrilled to be in this position either as you might have been able to tell from some of my posts this week or last July 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Welp ?

82 games followed by 50. 63 Blues, 19 Jets.

But it's still a solid point as he's been in the 60s or lower 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

Edited by Thorny

Another low cost target might be Derek Ryan. Back to Back 38 point Seasons. Two years left at 3.125 Million with Calgary. They have a Cap Crunch themselves.

He doesn’t drive offense, but has very respectable defensive metrics.  Sam could drive the offense on that line. 

Mikael Granlund with his 5.75 AAV for one year with Nashville as well. 

Neither is perfect, but cap hit and term might be enticing 

58 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Awfully quiet early on from the Sabres. hoping they have a plan. 

To be fair, this front office does a real good job with not allowing leaks. Sheary and Skinner deals came out of nowhere. And Krueger came out of nowhere too.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.