Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

On 6/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, erickompositör72 said:

Beyond the Vesey rumor, have there been any other rumors of us looking for wingers?

Could it signal Krueger may want to try Reinhart at 2C? (full disclosure, this is what I want to see, even if it doesn't work)

I would love us to look for someone who could play wing or center, in case Reinhart doesn't work.

There was a mention we could have been talking to the Wild about Jason Zucker. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I would have done the Marleau trade and the Subban trade (subbing in Pilut and whatever Roch guy Nashville wanted).

But I think you nailed why I wouldn’t do the Miller deal.

I think it all comes down to how high you see the pieces eventually climbing up the depth chart. Canucks paid more for Miller than the Rangers paid for Trouba and we paid for Skinner. Dougie Hamilton, Ryan O’Reilly, P.K. Subban were all acquired for mid- to low- first-rounders.

It’s not that I think we are likely to draft a stud with that pick, Sabrespacers are right when they say we likely won’t. It’s just that I think it would be wise to keep our powder dry for a better opportunity.

I understand this perspective, but it carries significant risk that a better opportunity doesn't actually come along. I'd rather have a good deal that could have been better than no deal because I waited for the rainbow that never comes. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

Here are some trade acquirable centers that could be good additions.  They all have some questions marks.

1) RNH - 26 - 2 years left @ 6.0.  I think he'd be a perfect fit short and long-term.  Edm wants to cut the payroll and with Leon and McDavid they don't really need RNH in the middle.  I'd even offer them Nylander and a lottery protected first next year.  I've mentioned this before but maybe Risto and Erod plus for Larsson and RNH?  

2) Galchenyuk - 25 - Has put up 40 to 50 points each of the last 5 years.  Plays all three forward slots and might really benefit from a guy like HCRK.  He'll also be playing for a contract.  He has 1 yr left at 4.9 and AZ might not be able to afford to keep him.  My guess they won't trade him until the deadline, but one never knows. Cost should also be reasonable.  At his age he could become part of the core.

3) Gagner - 29 - 1 yr left at 3.15.  Had a crap year last season and ended up with the Marlies.  We could probably have him for nothing.  Be an interesting buy low guy and at 29 probably has more hockey left.  

4) Bugstad - 26 - 2 year left at 4.1.  Pit needs to cut payroll and can't move Kessel or Hornqvist.  I think he might flourish in Buffalo in an expanded role.  I don't think the price would be very high either.  

5) Ellers - 30 - 4 years left at 3.5 - Remains a 30+ pt scorer and has good playoff experience.  50% in the face-off circle and kills penalties.  

6) Kyle Turris -  29 - 5 years left at 6.0. Current a bad contract for the Preds.  We can probably have him for nothing if we take the full nut, but maybe they'll eat 2 mill a year to get at least a little something.  Guy is good in the faceoff circle, can score and create, knows the division and we'd probably get our $ worth @ 4 mill.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Pavelski would be such a great addition, but there's no freaking way he's coming to a bottom feeder. None. 

To my great disappointment (on two levels), I can't nitpick a single word. ?

Edited by dudacek

The Stars would be a nice fit, a team on the rise that had a strong season, and has enough cap space for Pavelski with Jason Spezza gone and pending UFA Mats Zuccarello still unsigned. The Lightning? I’m not sure how exactly they could fit Pavelski in with their cap situation even with J.T. Miller gone and Ryan Callahan’s contract more or less no longer a factor; they still have Brayden Point to sign among other players. But Pavelski is such an attractive add, I can see why Tampa would want to at least try.

I also think Buffalo is among the teams that called the Pavelski camp but the Sabres don’t have a site visit scheduled with Pavelski.

https://theathletic.com/1044549/2019/06/24/lebrun-notebook-pavelski-visiting-teams-this-week-latest-on-marner-talks-and-more/

28 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Pavelski would be such a great addition, but there's no freaking way he's coming to a bottom feeder. None. 

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To my great disappointment (on two levels), I can't nitpick a single word. ?

There's one major factor that could sway Pavelski, and it rhymes with "Shmenjamins."

Pavelski turns 35 in a couple of weeks.  How long a deal is going to get from Dallas or TB?  And by how much should the Sabres beat that offer?  Would Pavelski come here for $5MM x 3 years?  Would that be a terrible move by the Sabres or merely a bad one?

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Obviously it’s a long shot but when a 34 year old player faces reality, an extra year and a few million dollars might mean something. 

I just have problems with absolutes. Nobody knows what motivates different individuals.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There's one major factor that could sway Pavelski, and it rhymes with "Shmenjamins."

Pavelski turns 35 in a couple of weeks.  How long a deal is going to get from Dallas or TB?  And by how much should the Sabres beat that offer?  Would Pavelski come here for $5MM x 3 years?  Would that be a terrible move by the Sabres or merely a bad one?

I think a venn diagram of what it would take to get Pavelski here financially and what it would be defensible to pay him to do so would look like two circles separated by the Atlantic Ocean. I would do $5Mx3 but I really don't think that's even close to what it would take. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think a venn diagram of what it would take to get Pavelski here financially and what it would be defensible to pay him to do so would look like two circles separated by the Atlantic Ocean. I would do $5Mx3 but I really don't think that's even close to what it would take. 

Agreed and I also don’t think a cellar dweller has enough money to make Pavelski sign.

The man wont leave SJ to go somewhere to play out the string losing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.