Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

We can build a package around that first that can make the team better than just giving it up for JT Miller would have

In your head maybe. I have yet to see a trade that makes me think this is the case in the NHL. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Today the devils got PK Subban for a package I wouldn't give our (likely to be high) first round pick for 

Is our 1st really likely to be high 2 years from now? If so, I guess I don't care because if we're so bad still than I'll want the world to burn anyway. 

10 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And you shouldn't have to pay $9M for Skinner. But you do. If Botterill keeps kicking the can down the road, he's going to be unemployed before any Sabres fans even know who these picks are. 

I agree with everything you just said, but in my view that doesn't translate to "trade a first, a third and a prospect for JT Miller."

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is our 1st really likely to be high 2 years from now? If so, I guess I don't care because if we're so bad still than I'll want the world to burn anyway. 

I hope to god the pick isn't high but there's a chance it is. If I'm trading firsts before a season starts I am doing it for a player that will help guarantee the pick isn't high.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I agree with everything you just said, but in my view that doesn't translate to "trade a first, a third and a prospect for JT Miller."

Well. I think the prospect they traded is as much of a prospect as Danny O'Regan was when we got him from San Jose. And a 3rd? I don't care at all about that. It's all about the first, and we can agree to disagree on that. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It depends, but we've been bad for a long time and have a ridiculously flawed depth chart, so I'm not inclined to be confident that we're giving up pick 24

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Well. I think the prospect they traded is as much of a prospect as Danny O'Regan was when we got him from San Jose. And a 3rd? I don't care at all about that. It's all about the first. 

Sure. The first is the focus. And it's not good on its own, so I'd rather not add anything else to go with it.

If it was the trade deadline and we're sitting firmly in a playoff spot I absolutely trade my first for Miller.

Beyond the Vesey rumor, have there been any other rumors of us looking for wingers?

Could it signal Krueger may want to try Reinhart at 2C? (full disclosure, this is what I want to see, even if it doesn't work)

I would love us to look for someone who could play wing or center, in case Reinhart doesn't work.

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It depends, but we've been bad for a long time and have a ridiculously flawed depth chart, so I'm not inclined to be confident that we're giving up pick 24

Fair, but not making moves certainly creates a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Without taking some risk to improve NHL talent, we're unlikely to see better NHL results. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Sure. The first is the focus. And it's not good on its own, so I'd rather not add anything else to go with it.

If it was the trade deadline and we're sitting firmly in a playoff spot I absolutely trade my first for Miller.

Well, I think Miller is being underrated by you and others. He's not my ideal top-6 center, but he's a legitimate top-6 player on a value contract and in his prime. 

• Like (+1) 2

So I'm about to head off to a valley I spend a lot of time in, and a place where I don't have internet access. 

Every major move the Sabres have made the past few years - Both ROR trades, the Lehner trade, drafting Jack, trading Miller, trading for Kane etc. has happened while I was there. 

So, keep your phones/laptops/whatever nearby the rest of the day! 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So I'm about to head off to a valley I spend a lot of time in, and a place where I don't have internet access. 

Every major move the Sabres have made the past few years - Both ROR trades, the Lehner trade, drafting Jack, trading Miller, trading for Kane etc. has happened while I was there. 

So, keep your phones/laptops/whatever nearby the rest of the day! 

We thank you for your service. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, I think Miller is being underrated by you and others. He's not my ideal top-6 center, but he's a legitimate top-6 player on a value contract and in his prime. 

The Vancouver market and fanbase - which is pretty much in the same place as ours - is skewering Benning for the move.

Not that fans and media are experts on anything, but the point is pretty consistent: Miller will help, but he’s not going to get this team closer to winning the Stanley Cup. Next year’s lottery ticket might. Good is the enemy of great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.