Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

Crazy what the NHL has become...it is no longer a matter of trading to improve your team rather it is giving away players just to reduce cap space. It is absurd the NHL allows pathetic trades such as Marleau and a 1st round pick for a bag of hockey pucks. PK gets a little more but not by much. I agree lets not hurry to give Risto away for basically nothing as we did with OReilly. personally I just think they use him far too much and put him under a role he may not be suited to be in, mainly a number one big minute d-man 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Crazy what the NHL has become...it is no longer a matter of trading to improve your team rather it is giving away players just to reduce cap space. It is absurd the NHL allows pathetic trades such as Marleau and a 1st round pick for a bag of hockey pucks. PK gets a little more but not by much. I agree lets not hurry to give Risto away for basically nothing as we did with OReilly. personally I just think they use him far too much and put him under a role he may not be suited to be in, mainly a number one big minute d-man 

I get it.  I like to see a good hockey trade as well.  But the Canes did improve their team.  For approx. $3.5 million cash,  they bought a 1st round pick.  And why let excess cap room (which the Canes will not use this year) go to waste.  Smart for Canes and a punishment to the Laffs.  Keeps the parity alive.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I've said right along not to trade Risto unless it's a deal you can't turn down and those are rare. I would like to think any trade of Risto gets you a legit #2 center and a replacement for him on defense from somewhere.  Unfortunately I'm not sure who is available at center and that's why the ROR trade was a disaster.

Other than Risto and maybe McCabe, and excluding our "core" players (Jack, Skinner, Dahlin, Montour and Reinhart), we just don't have many assets that are attractive to other teams for a trade.  I don't think it is reasonable to expect Bogo, Okposo, Girgs, Larsson, Sobotka, Scandella or even Nylander to be tradable at this point.  These may be some of the players that we would like to see traded, but the possibility of receiving any real value for them seems small.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Other than Risto and maybe McCabe, and excluding our "core" players (Jack, Skinner, Dahlin, Montour and Reinhart), we just don't have many assets that are attractive to other teams for a trade.  I don't think it is reasonable to expect Bogo, Okposo, Girgs, Larsson, Sobotka, Scandella or even Nylander to be tradable at this point.  These may be some of the players that we would like to see traded, but the possibility of receiving any real value for them seems small.

They got Skinner for Pu, a 2nd, 3rd and a 6th.  There are deals to be made, just need to be patient.

And the Sabres also have cap space as an asset.

• Like (+1) 2

Thought Miller would be perfect for us.  That's a steep price to pay for a 2C though.

Just now, jad1 said:

They got Skinner for Pu, a 2nd, 3rd and a 6th.  There are deals to be made, just need to be patient.

And the Sabres also have cap space as an asset.

Agreed.  You want something to happen but it has to make sense.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Canucks give up a conditional 1st for Miller.

Outbid us.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I would not have paid that price. 2020 lottery projected. If it doesn’t convert it’s unprotected in 2021. Plus a third and a prospect.

No? I would have done that all day. 

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I would not have paid that price. 2020 lottery projected. If it doesn’t convert it’s unprotected in 2021. Plus a third and a prospect.

Yep, I also wonder if Tampa turned down 31 in an offer from the Sabres as the Vancouver Pick is more likely to be higher in the next two years 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I agree.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

No? I would have done that all day. 

Miller is not worth a pick in the teens.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree.

Miller is not worth a pick in the teens.

Maybe if we improve our team enough we'll be good enough to pick in the 20s before I turn 40.

Edit: Also the probability that that pick produces a player as good as Miller within the next...4 years....is really low. Like, 10%?

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm feeling more and more like this is akin to the Bills last season of clearing out the cap and hoping to just be competitive until the next year (2020).  In 2020, the Sabres will clear about $18 mil (Sheary, Bogo, Sobotka, Hunwick, Wilson, Scandella).  No one will trade for those guys.  I think we have another year of "suffering".  Jbot must have already convinced Terry to set his expectations lower this year.  Jbot may owe his job next year to McDermott and Beane.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

I'm feeling more and more like this is akin to the Bills last season of clearing out the cap and hoping to just be competitive until the next year (2020).  In 2020, the Sabres will clear about $18 mil (Sheary, Bogo, Sobotka, Hunwick, Wilson, Scandella).  No one will trade for those guys>  I think we have another year of "suffering".  Jbot must have already convinced Terry to set his expectations lower this year.  Jbot may owe his job next year to McDermott and Beane.

Unfortunately this could be true. A lot of fans seem to think you can trade junk for treasure. JBott,like him or not, is between a rock and a hard place.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Absolute zero chance I’m giving a first round pick for a third line center. That could be a very high pick for Vancouver. And could be for us.

He was a 3rd line center on the best team in the league. He's a 2C on most teams, including ours. 

Edit: Also, the value of a mid-late first should they even make the NHL is a middle 6 player. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Question I have is now the we got Cozens and have Jack and Mitts, would we still shop Risto for a center? If so I wonder if Colorado might be interested. I hear they have a few. 

Prospects should not change anything about your immediate roster plans unless they're Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby, and that's about it. 

Cozens and Mitts could both easily bust - and if you acquire a 2C and they don't bust, then you're stuck with the problem of a lot of good hockey players. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe if we improve our team enough we'll be good enough to pick in the 20s before I turn 40.

Edit: Also the probability that that pick produces a player as good as Miller within the next...4 years....is really low. Like, 10%?

I hope our GM doesn’t think of puck value like this. You shouldn’t have to pay a price like that for Miller. I agree very often with the “trade late firsts pick for value now” train when possible but there’s a chance that pick isn’t a late first.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He was a 3rd line center on the best team in the league. He's a 2C on most teams, including ours. 

Edit: Also, the value of a mid-late first should they even make the NHL is a middle 6 player. 

I don’t think he’s a second line center on a good team.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I hope our GM doesn’t think of puck value like this. You shouldn’t have to pay a price like that for Miller. I agree very often with the “trade late firsts pick for value now” train when possible but there’s a chance that pick isn’t a late first.

And you shouldn't have to pay $9M for Skinner. But you do. If Botterill keeps kicking the can down the road, he's going to be unemployed before any Sabres fans even know who these picks are. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The condition is if the cannucks don't make the playoffs, they keep their first and it goes to 2021. I would make that trade for the Sabres if I was jbotts. If we make the playoffs this year, we get good value for our late teens/twenties pick. If not, we would be making the playoffs in 2021 and the pick would still be good value. Of course, if they don't make the playoffs then, it won't be jbotts problem anymore, because he will be fired.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.