Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It would be great if Olofsson can step up and contribute this year, but there is zero evidence that he'll be able to.

I don't see how anyone can look at the Sabres' roster and conclude that no upgrade at LW is needed.  After Skinner it's a vast wasteland.

But if the LWs below Skinner were Vesey, Olofsson (having proven capable) and Sheary, all fighting it out for ice time, then it starts looking like a real group of NHL forwards.

What is the point of this?  Just to be argumentative? 

A more realistic proposal would be GA's idea of Scandella.

The point is where I value a 3rd line guy who doesn't upgrade the roster. 

As to your other points, Skinner is your #1, Olofsson is your #2 which means you just traded assets for a #3 lw. So Vesey would have to be a serious upgrade over Sheary and he just isn't. 

Edited by LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? He isn't young either. Vesey is 26. His most goals is 17. He outscored Erod by 6 points. So I am trading assets for a 26yr old left wing (side we need the least) who is at best a 35-40pt winger. Again, the only thing he gives you is size. 

Almost the entire team was terrible for over half the season. 

Not to mention, I think some fans have an unrealistic elevated (don’t know where it came from) expectation of Sheary. He is and most likely will continue to be a feisty 30-40 point small winger. He got 34 points last year. 30 the year before that. The only season he’s eclipsed 40 points was when he was stapled to Sydney freaking Crosby’s line for most of the season. He’s most likely not gonna be stapled to Eichels line. He’s on a fair contract for what he brings. On a semi-deep team he’s a 3rd line guy who can play up the lineup on spot duty for a few games. Don’t expect something he’s not and never will be. Just my opinion.

As far as Vesey. Don’t want. JB should aim higher.

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Not to mention, I think some fans have an unrealistic elevated (don’t know where it came from) expectation of Sheary. He is and most likely will continue to be a feisty 30-40 point small winger. He got 34 points last year. 30 the year before that. The only season he’s eclipsed 40 points was when he was stapled to Sydney freaking Crosby’s line for most of the season. He’s most likely not gonna be stapled to Eichels line. He’s on a fair contract for what he brings. On a semi-deep team he’s a 3rd line guy who can play up the lineup on spot duty for a few games. Don’t expect something he’s not and never will be. Just my opinion.

As far as Vesey. Don’t want. JB should aim higher.

Agree on Sheary. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Alternative instead of wasting assets on 1 year of Vesey, I can just sign Ferlund who is better and only costs money. 

Yeah, I'd definitely rather move Scandella for a pick and sign Ferland.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Agree on Sheary. 

Ditto.

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? He isn't young either. Vesey is 26. His most goals is 17. He outscored Erod by 6 points. So I am trading assets for a 26yr old left wing (side we need the least) who is at best a 35-40pt winger. Again, the only thing he gives you is size. 

Almost the entire team was terrible for over half the season. 

I thought we wanted a third liner who could score 35-40 points and not look terribly out of place if he has to fill in on the top two. If Vesey is our third liner and Sherry is our fourth liner I think you are in pretty good shape.

Vesey, like Sabres forwards such as Sheary or Okposo, could put up "reasonable" depth scoring.

But off the puck, in the 98% of hockey that isn't goal-scoring plays, he's a liability, particularly defensively. Sometimes it becomes cliche to call someone bad defensively, but if a player is ACTUALLY bad defensively, it's Vesey. 

We don't just need middle six points, we need our middle six playing winning hockey, that will score goals to help win games in November, but also be replicable through the winter and spring. He doesn't really contribute to that, and so Liger's sentiment is perfect - don't waste the time thinking about trading for him and don't waste even the small amount of assets trading for him. We have real fish to fry here.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Vesey, like Sabres forwards such as Sheary or Okposo, could put up "reasonable" depth scoring.

But off the puck, in the 98% of hockey that isn't goal-scoring plays, he's a liability, particularly defensively. Sometimes it becomes cliche to call someone bad defensively, but if a player is ACTUALLY bad defensively, it's Vesey. 

We don't just need middle six points, we need our middle six playing winning hockey, that will score goals to help win games in November, but also be replicable through the winter and spring. He doesn't really contribute to that, and so Liger's sentiment is perfect - don't waste the time thinking about trading for him and don't waste even the small amount of assets trading for him. We have real fish to fry here.

Right, this is not the hill to die on or even capture. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

Not that I wouldn't like Ferland but his best season he scored 5 more points than Jimmy V did last year. 

He also scored 10 more points than Andrew Copp, who would be an infinitely better depth option if your interest is the Buffalo Sabres playing fundamentally sound hockey (not that he's available, just an example of depth forwards not being entirely about finished point totals)

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

THIS IS NOT A REAL THING BUT FOR CONVERSATION’S SAKE:

I had a dream last night we traded Risto, Mittelstadt, Borgen and 7 for Taylor Hall WITH AN EXTENSION SIGNED. Would you make that trade?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0cdba55568383249

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0cdc286763676551

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0cdc83747874416b

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I had a dream last night we traded Risto, Mittelstadt, Borgen and 7 for Taylor Hall WITH AN EXTENSION SIGNED. Would you make that trade?

NO   That would be a terrible trade

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No giving up Mittelstadt takes away the primary future 2C Option on the roster and trading seven takes away the best opportunity to add another 2C candidate 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.