Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Arizona is so lost. They’re just moving dudes in and out with absolutely no semblance of a plan.

Analytics! ?

8 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Looks like Callahan won't be a cap dump anywhere now. LTIR due to a degenerative back disease.

What, not jock itch? The NHL makes me sick with this stuff.

55 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Arizona is so lost. They’re just moving dudes in and out with absolutely no semblance of a plan.

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Analytics! ?

I tend to agree, but they had 6 more wins than we did last year. 

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I continue to wait for the first impact player to be lost due to cap restrictions. Maybe it will be Marner but I’m not betting on it.

I have been hearing the same thing since Andy Messersmith joined the Braves.

Teravainen wasn't traded all too long ago because of the cap. 

Edit: And even if the Leafs manage to keep Marner (as I expect they will), losing Kapanen because of Marleau's contract isn't exactly a trivial loss. It doesn't always matter, but it shouldn't just be dismissed. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I continue to wait for the first impact player to be lost due to cap restrictions. Maybe it will be Marner but I’m not betting on it.

JP Dumont?

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It's not about losing the impact player.  It's about having the ability to surround the impact player.

Just now, Derrico said:

It's not about losing the impact player.  It's about having the ability to surround the impact player.

I also think there's a distinction to be drawn between paying your stars not mattering to the cap versus the cap not mattering at all. Teams rarely, if ever, regret paying their top players. Overpaying the middle tier, however, regularly weakens teams as they try to stay under the cap. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I also think there's a distinction to be drawn between paying your stars not mattering to the cap versus the cap not mattering at all. Teams rarely, if ever, regret paying their top players. Overpaying the middle tier, however, regularly weakens teams as they try to stay under the cap. 

Your right *cough* Skinner *cough*

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I know but there were other factors that went into ROR decision I think.  

Just now, darksabre said:

Mhmmm 

ROR aside (you have to admire my personal growth by not responding with fury!),  thinking Berglund and/or Mittelstadt are suitable 2C options isn't exactly confidence inspiring, ya know? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

ROR aside (you have to admire my personal growth by not responding with fury!),  thinking Berglund and/or Mittelstadt are suitable 2C options isn't exactly confidence inspiring, ya know? 

This is more than fair.  Botts has to amend that mistake and get someone like Stastny in for a couple of years.  His mistake wasn't necessarily trading ROR.  It was the terrible return and lack of thought in having Plan B if Mitts wasn't ready Day 1.  I think this year you will see all of these holes plugged.

24 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Cap mismanagement is not the biggest factor resulting in the closing of the window. Aging core is the biggest reason and the inability to replace core on the fly. The Blackhawks are a perfect example. They won three Cups, made some mistakes but what could they have done differently that would have resulted in better results the last couple of years?

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Cap mismanagement is not the biggest factor resulting in the closing of the window. Aging core is the biggest reason and the inability to replace core on the fly. The Blackhawks are a perfect example. They won three Cups, made some mistakes but what could they have done differently that would have resulted in better results the last couple of years?

This is right but I think those days are ending.  The 'cheap' RFA years are becoming more and more expensive.  Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Towes all had much more favorable deals early in their career.  Today, starting year 4 the young guns are making huge money.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I tend to agree, but they had 6 more wins than we did last year. 

Teravainen wasn't traded all too long ago because of the cap. 

Edit: And even if the Leafs manage to keep Marner (as I expect they will), losing Kapanen because of Marleau's contract isn't exactly a trivial loss. It doesn't always matter, but it shouldn't just be dismissed. 

Keeping if not keeping Teravainen had little to no impact on their record.

This is the question players were most reluctant to answer — only 63 percent of all the players polled answered it. And while P.K. Subban was the leader among those willing to answer, 45 other players received at least one vote. The knock on Subban? “He’s got a good shot and that’s about it,” said a Western Conference rival.

An Eastern Conference player summed up this category diplomatically and perfectly: “I don’t think anyone is overrated — but there sure are players that are overpaid.”

Not for nothing, PK is regularly ranked by players to be the most overrated player in hockey. 

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

This is right but I think those days are ending.  The 'cheap' RFA years are becoming more and more expensive.  Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Towes all had much more favorable deals early in their career.  Today, starting year 4 the young guns are making huge money.

Which makes wasting Sam and Jack's ELC's almost criminal.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Can someone fact check this. I fairly certain Crosby got 8.7 mil for his 2nd deal and Malkin did too.

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can someone fact check this. I fairly certain Crosby got 8.7 mil for his 2nd deal and Malkin did too.

Double check but it's true.  Guys got the big deals Year 8 under last CBA.  It's year 4 now.  Crosby entered the league in 2005 and the $8.7 mil deal was signed in 2012 (year 8).

Edited by Derrico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.