Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Burns had 63% of his starts in the offensive zone, compared to 52% for Giordano and Hedman, 47% for Ristolainen, and 59% for Dahlin

That has nothing to do with being sheltered.  SJ is a much better team, they have many many more offensive zone starts vs defensive zone starts.  

Burns and Risto are both top 10 in the league in avg TOI.    SJ is not pulling Burns off the ice when he's up against top lines.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

If Risto is a guy that needs to be sheltered, then he doesn't belong here.... unless he's willing to sign for less than $3m.

Realizing you like to post a bit hyperbolically for effect, so take this for what it's worth ...

There is a huge gap between "sheltering" and "not throwing to the lions."  Ristolainen has been treated as a top 10 leaguewide defenseman in his usage since his second season in Buffalo and he is nowhere near that good a player.  He's been thrown to the lions so to speak.

Giving him 2nd pairing usage (via opponent quality and ideally ice time as well) would not be considered to be sheltering.  Now, if the Risto detractors are correct and he's really only a 3rd pairing D-man; then yes, he should be sheltered and isn't worth $3MM/yr.  But we don't know that as he's been treated like Drew Doughty for way too long.  He's never been given the opportunity to be a 2nd pairing guy.  And making him one is NOT sheltering him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That has nothing to do with being sheltered.  SJ is a much better team, they have many many more offensive zone starts vs defensive zone starts.  

Burns and Risto are both top 10 in the league in avg TOI.    SJ is not pulling Burns off the ice when he's up against top lines.

What, and #1 seeded Calgary and Tampa Bay weren't good teams? That makes no sense

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Canucks quietly shopping Chris Tanev.

Injury prone and overvalued by their fan base, but very steady in his own zone. RD.

Price would be less than Justin Braun. I’m interested.

Curious, where do you see this?

His numbers look absolutely awful and he's always hurt like you say. I want nothing to do with this guy

Edited by WildCard

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Canucks quietly shopping Chris Tanev.

Injury prone and overvalued by their fan base, but very steady in his own zone. RD.

Price would be less than Justin Braun. I’m interested.

I'd love to say I want Tanev, mostly out of loyalty since he basically single-handedly carried my RIT Tigers to the Frozen Four as a freshman, but I'd rather have Bogo for one more season.

50 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'd love to say I want Tanev, mostly out of loyalty since he basically single-handedly carried my RIT Tigers to the Frozen Four as a freshman, but I'd rather have Bogo for one more season.

The guy made you go to Detroit.  You should hate him for that.

20 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well then, you have a lot more faith in the acumen of a GM who has iced two consecutive terrible teams while actually trying to win. Putting aside the ROR trade as a whole, Botterill's record as GM suggests he's bad at his job. Maybe it's been a string of bad luck and circumstances out of his control, but I certainly don't see any reason to just trust him. 

Honestly I couldn't agree with you more. I honestly feel he is a bad Gm. Id hate to switch now but I think if he blows this offseason he may need to go

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Pacioretty: 22-18-40 in 66gp, $7M cap hit at 4 more years, 30 year old LW

Statsny: 13-19-42 in 50gp, $6.5M cap hit for 2 more years, 33 year old C

I'm gonna pass 

On Stastny? I wouldn’t two years as 2C and then off the books?  He might be worthwhile if the price is right 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Brawndo said:

On Stastny? I wouldn’t two years as 2C and then off the books?  He might be worthwhile if the price is right 

Depends on the price I suppose. I would want more coming back if we're helping Vegas out like that.

Also, why do they need cap space?

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

What, and #1 seeded Calgary and Tampa Bay weren't good teams? That makes no sense

Curious, where do you see this?

His numbers look absolutely awful and he's always hurt like you say. I want nothing to do with this guy

Big talking point today as I listen to Vancouver radio.

He’s a Bill Hajt type, no points, no big hits, just smart and steady against good players, can play the Stralman role.

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Stastny -   A slightly higher AAV than Miller, but fewer years.   But you don't have to take on Callahan's salary in return.

Is the cost that much more than a Miller/Callahan in TB?  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Pacioretty: 22-18-40 in 66gp, $7M cap hit at 4 more years, 30 year old LW

Statsny: 13-19-42 in 50gp, $6.5M cap hit for 2 more years, 33 year old C

I'm gonna pass 

Ya that’s a hard pass for patch for sure.  I would rather a better option than stasney for that contract but he would come crazy cheap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.