Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

To me it sounds like Risto is going to be moved only if we get exactly what we want back, and if not Bogosian/McCabe are gone instead

So really unless we're packaging picks/prospects, our top 6 is kinda screwed 

Yes this.  I kind of like (maybe don’t mind is a better word) the look of our D today.  I know you have to give to upgrade the top 6 forwards but I feel like once Risto is gone we’re going to be deciding what we have to give up to replace him and replace him on a respectable contract as we’ll.

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

To me it sounds like Risto is going to be moved only if we get exactly what we want back, and if not Bogosian/McCabe are gone instead

So really unless we're packaging picks/prospects, our top 6 is kinda screwed 

I’m hoping this is the lesson learned by JBOT after ROR. We have no idea what really went on behind the scenes but it felt like they were determined to take best deal offered.

Hopefully, the current mindset going forward, “this is what we think the asset is worth, if we get it fine, if not, we are comfortable keeping it.”

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Moving McCabe and keeping Risto is moving in the wrong direction.   McCabe is a much better defender than Risto.  I would argue he's the best defender on the roster.   It would be a huge disappointment if they moved him.   

• Like (+1) 3

A veteran RHD on a fantastic contract.  Sign me up to trade for that guy.

What's that?  Oh, yeah ... the Sabres have one.

Never mind ...

In other words, I hope the Sabres do not trade Risto, at least not anytime soon.  There were issues on D last year, but Risto really was not that big a part of the problem in itself.  The Risto factor in the D problems was how he was utilized, which I don't think the Sabres ever have done a good job at.  Risto was always put into bad situations, because the Sabres had no other choice.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

A veteran RHD on a fantastic contract.  Sign me up to trade for that guy.

What's that?  Oh, yeah ... the Sabres have one.

Never mind ...

In other words, I hope the Sabres do not trade Risto, at least not anytime soon.  There were issues on D last year, but Risto really was not that big a part of the problem in itself.  The Risto factor in the D problems was how he was utilized, which I don't think the Sabres ever have done a good job at.  Risto was always put into bad situations, because the Sabres had no other choice.

If Risto is a guy that needs to be sheltered, then he doesn't belong here.... unless he's willing to sign for less than $3m.

30 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Moving McCabe and keeping Risto is moving in the wrong direction.   McCabe is a much better defender than Risto.  I would argue he's the best defender on the roster.   It would be a huge disappointment if they moved him.   

This too.  Give me Dahlin, Risto, Montour and McCabe as my top 4 all playing somewhat equal minutes.  We already have some decent depth/lesser assignments for scandella/bogo/Nelson/Pilut.  D looks fine to me.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Risto Nylander and our 31st for RNH, Larsson and Pujujarvi

We’d be fleecing them. Larsson is arguably/probably better than Risto. The value for each corresponding piece is actually greater for what we’re getting vs what we’re giving.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

If Risto is a guy that needs to be sheltered, then he doesn't belong here.... unless he's willing to sign for less than $3m.

I did not say sheltered, but whatever.

He needs to be used in way to take advantage of the very good skills he has to offer.  He has never had that in Buffalo for his entire career.  On a good Sabre team he is #3 on a very good Sabre team he is #4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I like McCabe a lot, but I do not trust his durability. 

1 hour ago, rakish said:

Two of the three Norris finalists were sheltered

What?

None of Giordano, Burns or Hedman played sheltered minutes.  And to mention Risto in the same sentence is laughable.

Edited by pi2000

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

What?

None of Giordano, Burns or Hedman played sheltered minutes.  And to mention Risto in the same sentence is laughable.

Burns had 63% of his starts in the offensive zone, compared to 52% for Giordano and Hedman, 47% for Ristolainen, and 59% for Dahlin

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Hoss said:

We’d be fleecing them. Larsson is arguably/probably better than Risto. The value for each corresponding piece is actually greater for what we’re getting vs what we’re giving.

I don’t think this is a fleecing at all. 

Risto for RNH is pretty fair.  RNH before his 69 pts last year had a career high of 56 in his second NHL season.  Most years he was in the 40s.  

Larsson for the 31st is also extremely fair.  Yes Larsson was acquired using Taylor Hall.  A stupid trade then but one that doesn’t change the fact that in his 3 years in Edm he has 19, 13 and 20 pts.  McCabe is similarly productive and he won’t be making the 4 mill that Larsson gets.  

As to Puju vs Nylander, Puju may have more value but not much as both are high picks playing their way into depth forward jobs.

Don’t forget that this deal also saves Edm about 5 mill in cap space which is also something they want.

If they would feel better throw in CJ Smith.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.