Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sir, as our resident Mr. Draft, you're not allowed to consider a late 1st/early 2nd to be "spare parts" ?

Chance of getting Skinner in round 2 is very low. The chance of getting Montour with a late first is actually reasonable. I am not opposed to trading the picks, I am opposed to wasting them. See Lehner, Robin. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LTS said:

Well, it was hashed about but it's because at least one of the kids didn't really like him?  See below though.

You think they are minor.  But it only matters what the people who are involved think.  That said, I read LeBrun's article today about the Ryan O'Reilly story and there were a few points I found interesting.

His Mother

His Father

His Father Again

From LeBrun

What I read into those comments are.

He felt people thought he was the problem and he was so "mentally tough" that he lost his love of the game.  In Colorado, when they were losing and in Buffalo, he takes it personally.  Yes, most players hate losing.  Most don't talk about how they lose their love of the game however.  In fact, I've never heard a player say that before.  As we said, he takes on the personality of the team.  He's not the guy to pull the team out of losing.

But the real key for me was LeBrun's commentary.  For a player everyone knew was available.  For a player people all over are roasting the Sabres for trading away. Why was the interest so low in him?  Do you not want to smack every other GM and say "Why didn't you go get ROR?"  He was available for nothing.

Despite all the this, the that, and the other things that are out there. I can't get over that a player so amazing. A player that makes such a difference. A player, that doesn't have his on-ice production questioned.  Why would that player not be in demand by every franchise out there?

At this point, I'm with Liger.  The ROR discussion can continue, but I'm done with it.

Not even when the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor!

The Germans never bombed Pearl Harbor.  It was the Japanese...

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Many seem to grade the GM based on this one seemingly bad (time will tell, but right now it looks bad) trade.  A trade that I have no doubt that the GM did not want to make, but felt he had no choice.  Maybe he was not given a choice by the owners, my guess is that is not the case.  I really think that ROR's openness at the end of the season lead to his departure.

Let's take a quick look at the other trades of note:

Skinner ... and then re-signing him to a market value contract.  Check.

Montour ... solid D, probably top pairing, or #3 on a good Sabre team.  Check.

I think those two offset the ROR trade.

What is paramount this offseason is that Bottsie find a real 2C, either by trade, or FA.  I have no idea who / how.

The Sabres are not that far off.

Agree. If we want to achieve something, then we really need a 2 center and perhaps increased protection...We still have cup space.

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts mentioned the Sabres are among the most active in trade talks and that they have talked to New York about Jimmy Vesey 

No thanks on Vesey 

Exactly, we've already given up a 3rd to be shunned by him.  Like we need to give up even a 5th for a kid who's done NOTHING.  Pass.   I get that Botterill has to search down every target he can, but if we're starting at the bottom of the barrel, can we at least get a European free agent that is a better flyer?

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman in his 31 Thoughts mentioned the Sabres are among the most active in trade talks and that they have talked to New York about Jimmy Vesey 

No thanks on Vesey 

I no longer believe Freeman. He takes a team that is looking for x, finds a team that wants to move x and then says "they've talked and it could happen". I bet they talked but maybe that's it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I no longer believe Freeman. He takes a team that is looking for x, finds a team that wants to move x and then says "they've talked and it could happen". I bet they talked but maybe that's it. 

That’s a confident dismissal of a guy who has a track record of being correct. And you definitely don’t have a smidgen if evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hoss said:

That’s a confident dismissal of a guy who has a track record of being correct. And you definitely don’t have a smidgen if evidence.

He speculates all the time. Constantly. Then at the last hour he'll show up and say so and so is going to team x. When he suddenly states that is happening, I'll believe him. Until then he's a speculator. There's tons of evidence of him saying "team x and team y have talked about player a" that goes no where. 

Hence why I won't get worked up over vesey 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

He does do that. But he tells you when he’s doing it.

Sometimes. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

He speculates all the time. Constantly. Then at the last hour he'll show up and say so and so is going to team x. When he suddenly states that is happening, I'll believe him. Until then he's a speculator. There's tons of evidence of him saying "team x and team y have talked about player a" that goes no where. 

Hence why I won't get worked up over vesey 

You ever think that’s because GMs talk all the time but lots of those talks go nowhere?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Further, I'd bet most teams talk at this time of year. That doesn't mean a move is close. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

You ever think that’s because GMs talk all the time but lots of those talks go nowhere?

That's my point. That's why I'm not going to give a vesey rumor a second thought. 

Why is this such and issue? Because I don't believe Freemans rumors? Ok,  you're free too but I typically dismiss them as just normal speculation of GM talk on his part. 

Just now, dudacek said:

Did he say a move was close? I thought he just said the Sabres have interest?

Ok interest, I don't believe that just because a talk between GM's occurred and veseys name might have come up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.