Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I know you can do the math. That’s less then 7 per team and Tampa had about ten so the obvious answer to the question is NO, there weren’t s lot of third and fourth liners scoring over 30.

I'm not looking for more than 37 points on my 3rd line, I'm looking to get in that ballpark for less than $6M on a player who is at least as likely to be totally shot without Matthews as he is to be able to do it again a year older. 

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m going to say it again, they are not paying anyone other then Dahlin in a few years more then Eichel unless they acquire McDavid or Matthews.

I also believe this.  I think the Eichel contract has set the ceiling on Sabres salaries for the foreseeable future, possibly for the duration (next 7 yrs) of the contract.  Even Dahlin I would expect to sign for no more than a matching $10M salary.

The reasons that I believe this:  He is the #1C, captain, and face of the franchise.  I doubt anyone will surpass his offensive production on a consistent basis.  It just feels right.

Edited by Curtisp5286

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hmm...first time I've ever been forced to ponder whether I'd rather be Susan Sarandon or Geena Davis.

Underrated movie with Geena Davis:  "The Long Kiss Goodnight" -- action spy thriller also with a young Samuel L. Jackson.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So still looking for a cheap 37-point player we can acquire for a 4th-round pick? ?

Vanek was signed for $3M last year and scored 36 points in 64 games while playing with a considerably lesser center than Auston Matthews. Every single year bargain bin UFA wingers go to favorable situations and produce. There is zero reason to spend $6M for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Vanek was signed for $3M last year and scored 36 points in 64 games while playing with a considerably lesser center than Auston Matthews. Every single year bargain bin UFA wingers go to favorable situations and produce. There is zero reason to spend $6M for it. 

Sure there is. This entire debate started because I disagreed with the idea that the Leafs would have to pay big to rid themselves of Marleau and Zaitsev. I said I would trade a 4th for Marleau based on the premise that we had failed to acquire a better option, and that we had plenty of cap room. Not every team that would like a Vanek will be able to sign one and there aren’t many out there. Never mind the fact that Marleau fits Sabres needs better than Vanek right now.

What 35-point scorer are you trading a 4th round pick for who has a significantly better contract than Marleau?

I mean it could happen, but you’re acting like it’s easy.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sure there is. This entire debate started because I disagreed with the idea that the Leafs would have to pay big to rid themselves of Marleau and Zaitsev. I said I would trade a 4th for Marleau based on the premise that we had failed to acquire a better option, and that we had plenty of cap room. Not every team that would like a Vanek will be able to sign one and there aren’t many out there. Never mind the fact that Marleau fits Sabres needs better than Vanek right now.

What 35-point scorer are you trading a 4th round pick for who has a significantly better contract than Marleau?

I agree with your position that the Leafs will not have to pay that much to move Marleau but that is separate from a reason why we should do it.   The cap space would be better served taking on Callahan and getting something valuable in return.   Marleau is the iron horse of hockey but Father Time is catching up.  Thirty six might be a ceiling.   I like the Vanek idea if $2.5 and one year.  

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Me personally?  I'd like to see something a bit more than just a one year band-aid job.

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

There are 15 UFAs who scored 37+ (since you're so obsessed that that specific number as if it's some lock Marleau does it again in a lesser situation), and 4 of them are coming off contracts that paid $6M. Pominville had 31 by virtue of a dozen or so games with Jack, and he'll probably cost $2M or less. And there's probably a whole bunch of other cheap UFA names who could get into the 30-point range if paired with an elite center a-la Marleau with Matthews. It really doesn't have to be that hard. Every single year the Lee Stempniaks and Brandon Pirri's of the world sign cheap contracts and put up points. There is zero reason to think we should have to go the Marleau route because it's oh so hard to find cheap depth scoring. 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The difference between Marleau and Vanek in terms of serving as an example for the kids is enormous.

Again:  there's a reason no one has wanted to keep Vanek around.

Based on what, exactly? The Islanders wanted to keep Vanek, he just didn't want to sign there. And he's such a bad example for the kids that Detroit...brought him back amidst a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The difference between Marleau and Vanek in terms of serving as an example for the kids is enormous.

Again:  there's a reason no one has wanted to keep Vanek around.

Teammates get sick of him not paying up after cards on the plane?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Based on what, exactly? The Islanders wanted to keep Vanek, he just didn't want to sign there. And he's such a bad example for the kids that Detroit...brought him back amidst a rebuild. 

Based on the number of teams and coaches who have had him around, taken his measure and said no thanks to keeping him, including Montreal, Minnesota, Florida, Vancouver, Columbus and his first stint in Detroit.  Not to mention the fact that his own Olympic coach publicly criticized him and his attitude.

17 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Based on the number of teams and coaches who have had him around, taken his measure and said no thanks to keeping him, including Montreal, Minnesota, Florida, Vancouver, Columbus and his first stint in Detroit.  Not to mention the fact that his own Olympic coach publicly criticized him and his attitude.

If a trade deadline rental not being retained by the acquiring team is a measure of how good a guy is in the room, then holy smokes, half the league is bad in the room.

And if ROR hoisting a Cup does one positive thing other making Marchand cry, I hope it's to make more people understand that we don't have a freaking clue what "the room" is like, and we know even less about how what goes on there translates to the ice. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If a trade deadline rental not being retained by the acquiring team is a measure of how good a guy is in the room, then holy smokes, half the league is bad in the room.

And if ROR hoisting a Cup does one positive thing other making Marchand cry, I hope it's to make more people understand that we don't have a freaking clue what "the room" is like, and we know even less about how what goes on there translates to the ice. 

I know what "the room" was like because I drink and I know things. O'Reilly is toxic if you're asking him to lead a room on his own. He's fine if you can plug him in to a team with an established leadership group already in place for him to feed off of. Without it he gets crazy and puts everything on himself. We saw the evidence of that first hand. And we see now how much better things are for him on the Blues where they already had a guy like Pietrangelo wearing the C and a bunch of other vets who have been grinding it out for a long time.

Ultimately, the O'Reilly trade says more about the state of the Sabres than it does about him. We heard all the stories about the splits in the room under Gionta, various cliques, clashes of personality. O'Reilly isn't the kind of guy you ask to unite a locker room and teach young players how the game works.

We can argue that the Sabres should have been more patient and let that leadership group develop, but my personal opinion is that it was (probably) never going to happen with O'Reilly here trying to do it all himself. I think they needed to expose Jack and put that responsibility on him as the franchise #1 center.

I don't know if it would have been any better to keep O'Reilly and strip him of the C, but it's essentially what needed to happen to get the rest of these guys to take some responsibility.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Except that the teams that traded for Vanek, other than the Islanders (who were even more dysfunctional than the Sabres), had no interest in re-signing him once they got a good look at him.  Montreal dropped him to the 4th line in the playoffs and his coach publicly criticized him.  Detroit had to keep half of his salary when they traded him to Florida.  Neither Florida nor Columbus bothered to offer him a contract.  Minnesota bought him out. 

And again, despite being by far the best player from his country, his Olympics coach publicly threw Vanek under the bus for poor leadership.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.