Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I don't know, I just know I really, really want Foote

Why? I don't think he's anything special. I'd probably have to be convinced he's more than a Guhle-level prospect. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Does anyone do Risto for Miller straight across? I don't. A right-shot 40-point D with a physical edge is worth more than a 50-point centre who might not be as intense as he should be.

Nylander for Foote is relatively fair value, depending on team needs, despite our impatience with Nylander and tendency to inflate all things Tampa.

I'd certainly do 30 for Cirelli.

I do the trade because Cirelli and Miller do wonders for our middle six and we have enough hope on D to fill the Risto hole. Tampa might because it fills their big hole on RD and gives them $5 million-plus in cap relief.

Absolutely. I'd rather do that than take on Callahan's carcass. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Amazing how perceptions work. 

Well, I perceive Raddysh to be significantly better than those other two, based on watching them all play, despite the points statistic being similar in a single AHL season. 

Not really that amazing, there are layers. 

Edited by Thorny

Raddysh: 70games, 18goals, 28assists for 46points or 0.66ppg

Nylander: 49games, 12goals, 19assists, for 31 points or 0.63ppg

If I am trading with Tampa, Anthony Cirelli is on the list not Raddysh. I might switch out Raddysh for Foote. At least then it makes it easier to consider trading Ristolainen. 

I'd think Cirelli is higher on everyone's list than Raddysh. 

Tampa calls and offers Miller, Callahan, and Foote for Ristolainen and Nylander. What do you do? 

Foote offsets the Callahan dump, so it's Ristolainen and Nylander for Miller. Miller only had 4 points more than Risto, I know he didn't get the PP time RIsto probably did, but, he is a forward. 

I'd hope for a bit better of a return especially if Nylander is being thrown in. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Alright, Tampa calls... Foote, Cirelli, Miller, Callahan for Risto, Nylander, and 30th overall pick. Now what? 

It's fun to speculate. 

This I'd take. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Foote offsets the Callahan dump, so it's Ristolainen and Nylander for Miller. Miller only had 4 points more than Risto, I know he didn't get the PP time RIsto probably did, but, he is a forward. 

I'd hope for a bit better of a return especially if Nylander is being thrown in. 

This I'd take. 

Well, some of that isn't only special teams related, but overall ice time related--Risto averaged a little over 7 more minutes of ice time per game at even strength. If we look at rates, Risto was at 1.03 points per 60 minutes of ice time at even strength, while Miller was at 1.79. That's not a trivial difference.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, some of that isn't only special teams related, but overall ice time related--Risto averaged a little over 7 more minutes of ice time per game at even strength. If we look at rates, Risto was at 1.03 points per 60 minutes of ice time at even strength, while Miller was at 1.79. That's not a trivial difference.

That's a good point. I still don't think it would be necessary to throw in Nylander. 

Or, we can thrown in Nylander and 30 and they can add Cirelli, as that other proposal mentioned. Typing it out, it does seem unlikely Tampa would do that. 

So Callahan, Foote and Miller for Ristolainen. Or, Callahan, Raddysh and Miller for Risto. I'd do either of those. Though I do think if we are moving Ristolainen out, Botterill has to have a replacement 2RD lined up. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

That's a good point. I still don't think it would be necessary to throw in Nylander. 

Or, we can thrown in Nylander and 30 and they can add Cirelli. 

I honestly have no idea how to value a trade with Risto. On the one hand, I think Miller is straight up a better player than Risto. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that's the general perception around league GMs. At the very least, we have no idea what Brisebois values or is capable of.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I honestly have no idea how to value a trade with Risto. On the one hand, I think Miller is straight up a better player than Risto. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that's the general perception around league GMs. At the very least, we have no idea what Brisebois values or is capable of.

D also seem to carry a premium in trade. 

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Or, we can thrown in Nylander and 30 and they can add Cirelli, as that other proposal mentioned. Typing it out, it does seem unlikely Tampa would do that. 

So Callahan, Foote and Miller for Ristolainen. Or, Callahan, Raddysh and Miller for Risto. I'd do either of those. Though I do think if we are moving Ristolainen out, Botterill has to have a replacement 2RD lined up. 

Could we snag Colin Miller from Vegas for RD replacement for Risto?

I would do a Nelson and Thompson trade for Eakin and Miller.

Edited by sweetlou

The supply and demand element is underrated. There are far more 50-Point centres out there than 40-Point defencemen, particularly 6’4” right-handed defencemen who bring the snarl. Risto brings things that are valued by most NHL GMs, if not by Blue.

I get the sense that Blue’s take on Miller/Risto is more about Risto’s flaws than Miller’s strengths, but we haven’t talked much about Miller’s flaws. He doesn’t take many shots and his intensity goes in and out. Don’t get me wrong, I like him, but he’s not as good as his physical package would suggest. He’s an average 2 at best. The fit comes form his versatility and the way he can shield Casey. but in some ways he reminds of Chris Gratton.

Finally, Cody Eakin or Erik Haula should definitely be on our radar.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Andrew Copp?

RFA, up for a new deal, maybe Winnipeg doesn't want to pay him with all their cap concerns. A Botterill player if I've ever seen one, only 24, I believe he has solid metrics, maybe he's ready for an uptick in role (2C?) at least temporarily, probably a more attractive option to me than a guy like Hayes. More upside and speed. 

Edited by Thorny

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Andrew Copp?

RFA, up for a new deal, maybe Winnipeg doesn't want to pay him with all their cap concerns. A Botterill player if I've ever seen one, only 24, I believe he has solid metrics, maybe he's ready for an uptick in role (2C?) at least temporarily, probably a more attractive option to me than a guy like Hayes. More upside and speed. 

Could fit the Sabres need very nicely.  What would he likely cost?

Perhaps some sort of Trouba &  Copp for Ristolainen + ???.  Could leave the Jets more $'s for their coming cap navigation & leave the Sabres just needing a 2RW (assuming Skinner gets re-signed) to have their top 2 5 man units set.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The supply and demand element is underrated. There are far more 50-Point centres out there than 40-Point defencemen, particularly 6’4” right-handed defencemen who bring the snarl. Risto brings things that are valued by most NHL GMs, if not by Blue.

I get the sense that Blue’s take on Miller/Risto is more about Risto’s flaws than Miller’s strengths, but we haven’t talked much about Miller’s flaws. He doesn’t take many shots and his intensity goes in and out. Don’t get me wrong, I like him, but he’s not as good as his physical package would suggest. He’s an average 2 at best. The fit comes form his versatility and the way he can shield Casey. but in some ways he reminds of Chris Gratton.

Finally, Cody Eakin or Erik Haula should definitely be on our radar.

Funny, I thought GMs valued generating more goals than the opponent. Guess not ?

Assuming Risto is dealt, I'm genuinely curious on the return. I can see the argument you're making, but I also recall (Friedman, I believe) reporting that opinion around the league is trending in the analytics' direction. I can see it going either way. 

As for Miller, there's a reason I'm not willing to take on Callahan's contract to acquire him. 

55 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Call the Kings about Toffoli. 

No ***** way the leafs get out of another awful contract (even if only one year left). That team is cash strapped, has to sign Marner and somehow fix their d.  Nobody better be doing them any friggen favours.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Agreed...but indirectly helping Toronto would irk me. 

When you still have to jump pretty much the entire league, I'm not so worried about potentially helping out a team that's 20 or so slots ahead of you.  If it makes you better, do it.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

When you still have to jump pretty much the entire league, I'm not so worried about potentially helping out a team that's 20 or so slots ahead of you.  If it makes you better, do it.

Oh, it wouldn't prevent me from making the grade. I just want all things Toronto to suffer. 

Two simple trades that could benefit two teams up against the cap.

Risto and Nylander to WPG for Trouba and Ehlers.

McCabe and Sheary to Tampa for JT Miller and Killorn.

Imagine top three lines of:

Olofson- Eichel- Reinhart

Skinner- JT Miller- Ehlers

Killorn- Mitts- UFA (Connolly, Tanev, or Donskoi)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.