Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Raddysh had 18 goals and 46 points in 70 AHL games.

Alex Nylander had 12 goals and 31 points in 49 AHL games.

Pretty much identical PPG. Raddysh is three weeks older.

Not sure what it means, but I find that very interesting.

It means nylander is a bust lol

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, #freejame said:

I think you’re reading that wrong. I think it’s 1st+Bryson (deal) and 1st+Laaksonen (no deal). I’d do Nelson as well, but not Pilut. 

Bryson looked really strong in the Final Four tourney - and the scouting reports all pointed to him being a good transition player comparable to what we saw Pilut provide.

12 hours ago, inkman said:

And Callahan, Girgensons and Larsson could be a very useful 4th line. If that's the price to get our second line center, I don't see an issue. 

My gut feeling is that Botterill will look to signing Hagelin as an UFA this summer - there were reports by Friedman leading up to the TDL that Buffalo was interested in him and it made sense, given Botterill's history with him and the Cup experience, speed and penalty-killing Hagelin can provide. If you think of Larsson and Girgensons leaving, slotting Hagelin and Rodrigues as 2/3 of the 4th line would be a big upgrade of skill and speed and even add a little of a scoring threat when killing penalties.

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Erod is better than the 4th line. 

Though with a significantly different skill set, he's Jochen Hecht.  He SHOULD slot in as a 3rd line winger, but can literally play any F slot (except 1C) should injuries require a reshuffling.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Though with a significantly different skill set, he's Jochen Hecht.  He SHOULD slot in as a 3rd line winger, but can literally play any F slot (except 1C) should injuries require a reshuffling.

Absolutely this.

Ive felt for a while now that this team will be good when Rodrigues is the 10th forward, a Swiss Army knife that can be slotted in virtually wherever circumstances dictated he’s needed.

• Like (+1) 2

Kyle Turris is apparently available.

Pretty consistent 50-point centre prior to crashing this year. 5 years left at 6 million per. Playing well for Botts at the Worlds right now.

Interesting buy low opportunity, or cap anchor in the making?

Edited by dudacek

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pretty consistent 50-point centre prior to crashing this year. 5 years left at 6 million per. Playing well for Botts at the Worlds right now.

Cap anchor. He'll be 30 to start the season. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

He was the center I wanted Buffalo to acquire in the wake of Drury/Briere.  I was really disappointed when he was dealt to Ottawa and not Buffalo.  Turris with Vanek could have been interesting.

If his skating is still up to par, and we could get him for a short term deal, he'd be low risk, I think.  But if he wants term and/or the legs aren't there anymore, pass.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

He was the center I wanted Buffalo to acquire in the wake of Drury/Briere.  I was really disappointed when he was dealt to Ottawa and not Buffalo.  Turris with Vanek could have been interesting.

If his skating is still up to par, and we could get him for a short term deal, he'd be low risk, I think.  But if he wants term and/or the legs aren't there anymore, pass.

He already has term, 5 years left.   If we didn't have Okposo already I'd take a shot with him.  Guess I wouldn't hate it completely.

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He already has term, 5 years left.   If we didn't have Okposo already I'd take a shot with him.  Guess I wouldn't hate it completely.

5 yrs is tough.  My first reaction was to say that if center position was an emergency....... and then I  remember what our center roster looks like.

Hard to get to optimism with our center lineup and the options available.

Edited by Weave

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

5 yrs is tough.  My first reaction was to say that if center position was an emergency....... and then I  remember what our center roster looks like.

Yeah I would probably do it tbh.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

If you're Botterill, you are planning as if Mittelstadt will be successful, right, I guess? (If he's not, we are in trouble either way) If he is successful, is it smart to have a player of Turris's age and cost LT anchoring a third line? I'd prefer the "temporary" 2C we bring in to be younger and therefore less likely to fall off a cliff. 

But who know if those guys are even available. Hayes for example is only 26, but I'm weary of how much it's going to cost. 

Edited by Thorny

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

But potentially a 4th liner on a cup-contending team. 

He's probably a 3rd liner on a cup team. He drives play. It's not his fault Housley was the biggest moron ever and played Sobotka over him. 

Erod - Mitts - Reino would be a solid line. 2 guys who have experience, both know a little about the center position and both are creative and flexible with Casey to help him grow. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Why is that?

I've yet to see him play and produce in any important situations, and his production can't even be called streaky yet because he hasn't produced at a high enough rate yet. I love his confidence and desire to be out there making whatever play is needed, but I'm not sure he's capable of making plays.

I THINK he's a bottom-six guy who is easily replaceable but I'm hopeful he could be slightly better than that with some thought he might be worse than that.

Just now, Weave said:

I can’t pit my finger on it, but I feel the same way.

Yea, my description above of why I'm not convinced is a big jumbled mess because I can't quite describe why I feel this way. I'm just not ready to label him an NHLer. I have a feeling he'll be a nostalgic reference in six/seven years.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I've yet to see him play and produce in any important situations, and his production can't even be called streaky yet because he hasn't produced at a high enough rate yet. I love his confidence and desire to be out there making whatever play is needed, but I'm not sure he's capable of making plays.

I THINK he's a bottom-six guy who is easily replaceable but I'm hopeful he could be slightly better than that with some thought he might be worse than that.

Yea, my description above of why I'm not convinced is a big jumbled mess because I can't quite describe why I feel this way. I'm just not ready to label him an NHLer. I have a feeling he'll be a nostalgic reference in six/seven years.

His play style consistently evokes the impression he is a boy playing with men. He's giving it everything he's got, but barely hanging on. He often plays too fast for his hands and despite his effort, he is regularly dominated physically.

Some people focus on the effort and love the guy. Others see the "over his head" factor and can't help but thinking his game could collapse at any moment.

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd agree with a 3rd line role for Erod. Thinking that's where he should be but can occasionally be on the 2nd with injuries. 

In the coming season maybe, but I hope not, long-term.

Fourth line, but able to sub middle six occasionally.

• Thanks (+1) 1

EROD would have been the 6th highest scoring forward on the Bruins and 9th on the Blues not counting trade deadline acquisitions.

i don’t think some give him enough credit for the season he had. I also don’t think some realize what qualifies for a solid third liner in today’s NHL. 

He is a perfect third line, regular season forward with ability to fill in anywhere without looking out of place and enough of a professional to assume fourth line minutes if the team acquired rentals at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/20/2019 at 12:21 PM, Brawndo said:

Joe Smith the Athletic Writer for Tampa was speaking of The Lightning needing to trade Ryan Callahan and that he might be a fit for the Sabres. He has one year left at 5.8 Million and John Vogl Speculated he might provide some leadership to The locker room. 

From the Article 

Callahan grew up an hour away from Buffalo and played junior hockey in the city, so it makes sense for the Sabres to be on his trade list. The question is who would accompany him.

Buffalo’s organizational depth chart at left and right wing borders on pitiful, so the Sabres could use some of the Bolts’ depth. Youngsters Alexander Volkov, Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet and Taylor Raddysh all shined for Syracuse in the AHL. They could easily push for jobs in Buffalo or lead top lines in Rochester, which is set to lose numerous UFAs. GMs Jason Botterill and Julien BriseBois could figure out which one should join Callahan in exchange for a pick or two.

If the GMs want to work out a blockbuster, the Sabres have a piece to make that work. Right-handed defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen seems to have plateaued as a second-pair guy, which isn’t bad but also isn’t what the Sabres envisioned. The 24-year-old averages seven goals and 31 assists per season, which would fit in nicely with the Lightning.

The return would have to be substantial — significantly more than Callahan and one AHL prospect. In addition to scoring wingers, the Sabres need a second-line center.

Buffalo has room to haggle. It also has room for Callahan.

I will just say this, if Callahan is a serious offseason addition, I want more than just Taylor Raddysh.  I'm tired of the "veteran leader crap".  If we're bailing out Tampa Bay, I want Raddysh a 2nd round pick, and for them to take Sobotka back.  Callahan is just another retread fourth liner who won't do much on the stat sheet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.