Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, Brawndo said:

Call Fenton Jason 

Amen to that - one would think that if the Wild are anxious to dump Zucker, a package of Sheary + Nylander would have some promise.....

The only dilemma with adding Zucker is that Olofsson - who should be in the top 6 - is more comfortable on the left side. Assuming the Sabres don't botch the Skinner situation, the addition of Zucker, for all of its positives that it would bring, means that Olofsson would likely slide to 3LW....maybe that's good for Mittelstadt and means less pressure for Olofsson but I think he showed very impressively that he's capable of top 6 minutes/role.

Zucker is a LH shot so I don't know how comfortable he'd be at RW....if he were, maybe it could lead to

Skinner-Eichel-Zucker

Olofsson - 2C - Reinhart

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, darksabre said:

Kessel with Eichel is duo America deserves.

Not so sure about that - there's enough reports of how Kessel has: a) had clashes with his coach, Sullivan, about his role; b) resisted defensive responsibilities; and c) been lackadaisical when it comes to his work ethic. All three of those traits have occasionally shown up with Eichel during his maturation process so I'd be concerned over the negative influence Kessel would bring to not only Eichel but other young players.

I'm also unconfident in Kessel, at age 31, being productive in a year or two. His metrics all point to a player in decline.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:12 AM, dudacek said:

Would the Blues 1st for JT Miller be a good basis for a trade?

Maybe something might be needed to sweeten things, but the value doesn’t seem far off, it solves the Lightning’s cap issues and our centre ice issues.

I'd be OK with either the Blues 1st rounder for Miller and a 3rd rounder from TB - especially because it would take care of the 2C hole without sacrificing Ristolainen, allowing him to be dealt in other deal to fill other needs.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:05 AM, dudacek said:

1st and Pilut? 1st and Nelson? Bryson? Laaksonen?

Give up the top 3 defensive prospects the Sabres have? No thanks.

If the Lightning would take the 1st + Nelson, yes, sign me up but I'm not giving away Pilut (who should be in Buffalo's top 6 next season) or Bryson and Laaksonen without even seeing them at the pro level yet.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

1st and Pilut is probably fair value, but I'm not moving Pilut. I'm mostly thinking Tampa will want somebody who can play in addition to a pure future asset. Not sure what else we have to offer there if the trade isn't Risto-based. 

Agreed on Pilut. If a player has to be attached to the 1st rounder and Miller is the target from TB,  then I'd offer Nylander up but demand that TB adds in a 2nd round pick to balance things out.

1 hour ago, Swordsman said:

Give up the top 3 defensive prospects the Sabres have? No thanks.

If the Lightning would take the 1st + Nelson, yes, sign me up but I'm not giving away Pilut (who should be in Buffalo's top 6 next season) or Bryson and Laaksonen without even seeing them at the pro level yet.

I think you’re reading that wrong. I think it’s 1st+Bryson (deal) and 1st+Laaksonen (no deal). I’d do Nelson as well, but not Pilut. 

On 5/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, Taro T said:

I'd be fine with Ristolainen for Trouba if the Peg would go for it.  Once Dahlin gets ready for top line duty, they'd have a legit 1 & 3 2nd pairing guys (McCabe's 2nd pairing IMHO) at worst.  At present, they'd likely have 4 2nd pairing guys at worst with guys like Scandella, Bogosian, & Pilut that are poor man's 2nd pairing & good 3rd pairing guys plus Nelson & the other kid that looks promising.  And it would finally put to rest the endless Risto haggling.

Would really be interested in @Thorny's thoughts on it because he sees way more Jet games than the rest of us.

McCabe - Trouba

Dahlin - Montour

Me likey.

He's good. He's also in my view a smidge overrated. Maybe not by you, as you seem to have him as a second pairing guy and I think that's fair. He also benefits from playing on such a solid team. Many consider him a true 1st pairing guy, and I've seen him make far too many mental gaffes for that to be his ideal placement. At least not as the best player on that pairing. Think Dahlin level rookie gaffes from a non-rookie. That puck he tried to eat in game 5 against STL that cost them the winning goal was a good example. 

Depending on what kind of contract he's looking to sign, I'd be pretty happy to add him. He's probably better defensively than offensively,  has a reasonably physical game - I think he'd be a good fit with Dahlin, I think their styles would complement each other well. Trouba doesn't have the best first pass, and Dahlin does. I'd say by the time Dahlin is ready for first pairing duty (probably next season), Trouba would be good enough to eat those minutes with a guy like that, and thrive.  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Remember when Carolina took old Bickell to get Teravainen?

It can pay off big time. 

And Callahan, Girgensons and Larsson could be a very useful 4th line. If that's the price to get our second line center, I don't see an issue. 

• Like (+1) 4

Maybe Tampa wants to cleat space for Karlsson and Point. Since they don't really want cap back would they be interested in picks and prospects.

I would take on Callahan's remaining one year if I also got a player and prospect.

How about CJ Smith and  for Callahan, and Radish?

Another team needing relief would be Vegas. 

Interested in RD Colin Miller, Cody Eakin and 2019 3rd rd pick for Nylander and Nelson?

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Maybe Tampa wants to cleat space for Karlsson and Point. Since they don't really want cap back would they be interested in picks and prospects.

I would take on Callahan's remaining one year if I also got a player and prospect.

How about CJ Smith and  for Callahan, and Radish?

Another team needing relief would be Vegas. 

Interested in RD Colin Miller, Cody Eakin and 2019 3rd rd pick for Nylander and Nelson?

CJ Smith had 58 points in 62 games compared to Raddysh who had 46 points in 70 games. Why would you add a 5.8 Million Dollar Salary Cap Dump to the deal? 

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

CJ Smith had 58 points in 62 games compared to Raddysh who had 46 points in 70 games. Why would you add a 5.8 Million Dollar Salary Cap Dump to the deal? 

Raddysh is three years younger and an actual prospect with potential still to tap into. It appears CJ Smith is not and does not. I’d want more but I’d 100% rather have Raddysh.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Raddysh is three years younger and an actual prospect with potential still to tap into. It appears CJ Smith is not and does not. I’d want more but I’d 100% rather have Raddysh.

For sure.  Still not taking on that contract for Raddysh.

Only a few good nuggets in 31 Thoughts: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-navigating-phil-kessel-trade-wont-easy-penguins/

Says the Pens and Wild agreed to a deal for Kessel and Kessel vetoed so the teams leaked it. Says Arizona is high on Kessel’s list.

Also says Zucker was traded twice now to have it vetoed (Calgary at the deadline).

Karlsson is interested in seeing the free agent process and might still really want to be in Tampa.

A lot of interest in Kevin Hayes.

Buffalo is never mentioned.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Right, they aren't close comparables. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

They’d have to be certain Raddysh is going to be a good pro. I am not taking Callahan on for a maybe.

I'd make the move, considering Callahan isn't on the books for long. Raddyish is an A prospect, 46 points in your first AHL season is very good. With Cirelli and Cernak graduated to the NHL, he's their 3rd highest ranked prospect by NHL.com after Foote (D) and Volkov. 

He was excellent at the WJC. He's also a right shot RW and we need those. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Only a few good nuggets in 31 Thoughts: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-navigating-phil-kessel-trade-wont-easy-penguins/

Says the Pens and Wild agreed to a deal for Kessel and Kessel vetoed so the teams leaked it. Says Arizona is high on Kessel’s list.

Also says Zucker was traded twice now to have it vetoed (Calgary at the deadline).

Karlsson is interested in seeing the free agent process and might still really want to be in Tampa.

A lot of interest in Kevin Hayes.

Buffalo is never mentioned.

= $ no bueno. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Right, they aren't close comparables. 

I'd make the move, considering Callahan isn't on the books for long. Raddyish is an A prospect, 46 points in your first AHL season is very good. With Cirelli and Cernak graduated to the NHL, he's their 3rd highest ranked prospect by NHL.com after Foote (D) and Volkov. 

He was excellent at the WJC. He's also a right shot RW and we need those. 

Raddysh had 18 goals and 46 points in 70 AHL games.

Alex Nylander had 12 goals and 31 points in 49 AHL games.

Pretty much identical PPG. Raddysh is three weeks older.

Not sure what it means, but I find that very interesting.

5. After the Hurricanes were eliminated, a couple of sources indicated there was some in-season frustration from Brett Pesce that might force a trade. Waddell confirmed that was true, but is no longer a concern. From the start of the season through December, Pesce was seventh on the team in ice-time, down 1:31 per night from his 2017-18 average. From New Year’s Day on, he jumped to 21:20, behind only Slavin and Justin Faulk. (His playoff number was 23:06, also third). Crisis averted. Good news for Carolina, he’s a good player. If there is a defenceman who might get moved, it is Haydn Fleury. No longer waiver-eligible, he needs a place to play.

If Brett Pesce is available make that call. 

RHD 5 years left at 4.025 Million 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.