Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The flip side is that we'd be spending $26M this season for what amounts to nothing useful (I like Sheary, but if you're gonna lump him in with those other names...). Hard to make the playoffs getting 0 production from almost a third of your cap (and almost 40% of your cap once you count Okposo in the useless bunch). I'm not inclined to flush away another prime season of Eichel and Reinhart, while wasting another of Dahlin's entry-level years.

I do understand what you are saying.  However, looking at the way the team is set up, I don’t think this is a contending team next season, even if they do go out and add a top 6 C and top 6 W.  Although they could possibly sneak into the playoffs I suppose.  I think the team needs to, and plans on, keep slow building for another season.

And the flip side of that:  What if taking on Callahan makes it possible to add a player like Miller?  Wouldn’t that help the team next season as well as in the future?

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Sweet Lou will find a way to make it happen... or 6 different ways each with an increasing degree of difficulty

You want a way to make it happen...

Three way trade with Pittsburgh and Minnesota 

Sabres get Kessel from Pittsburgh and Rask from Minnesota 

Minnesota gets Johnson from Pittsburgh and Okposo and Thompson from Buffalo

Pittsburgh gets Zucker from Minnesota and Sobotka and St. Louis 1st from Buffalo

Breakdown...

Pittsburgh trades Kessel and Johnson for Zucker, Sobotka, and 1st

Minnesota trades Zucker and Rask for Johnson, Okposo, and Thompson

Buffalo trades Okposo, Sobotka, Thompson, and St Louis 1st rd for Kessell and Rask

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Pittsburgh gets Zucker from Minnesota and Sobotka and St. Louis 1st from Buffalo

Breakdown...

Buffalo trades Okposo, Sobotka, Thompson, and St Louis 1st rd for Kessell and Rask

2/1/2 twists with a full gainer... looking forward to the 3 full front flips in the pike position

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Breakdown...

So Pittsburgh wins the trade by a landslide getting Zucker and a First 

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

So Pittsburgh wins the trade by a landslide getting Zucker and a First 

Not disagreeing, but you seem a lot higher on Zucker than I am.

I see him as a better Sheary, or another Geoff Sanderson.

3 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I do understand what you are saying.  However, looking at the way the team is set up, I don’t think this is a contending team next season, even if they do go out and add a top 6 C and top 6 W.  Although they could possibly sneak into the playoffs I suppose.  I think the team needs to, and plans on, keep slow building for another season.

And the flip side of that:  What if taking on Callahan makes it possible to add a player like Miller?  Wouldn’t that help the team next season as well as in the future?

I like Miller a lot, but he's merely a good player. If the only way to acquire him is to take on a useless hockey player for $5.8M, then Botterill should probably be fired because he's clearly incapable of the job.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I like Miller a lot, but he's merely a good player. If the only way to acquire him is to take on a useless hockey player for $5.8M, then Botterill should probably be fired because he's clearly incapable of the job.

You wouldn’t be interested in Miller and Callahan for a replacement level part like Girgensons or Nelson?

To me, given the state of the Sabres roster and the fact Callahan comes off the books in a year, that’s much better than a “fair value” trade like something around Miller for Risto, unless you are convinced you can find better value than Miller in the UFA market.

• Like (+1) 1

Speaking of “fair value” trades, what’s the last NHL one you can remember the Sabres making?

Everything in the past 10 years feels it was influenced by futures or contracts: Kulikov, Sheary, Lehner, Scandella, both O’Reillys... 

Some might say the Kane deal, but I’d call that a blockbuster. I’m talking one for one or two for two where you’re moving strength from your NHL roster to address weakness or change chemistry. I’m thinking May/Sanderson.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You wouldn’t be interested in Miller and Callahan for a replacement level part like Girgensons or Nelson?

To me, given the state of the Sabres roster and the fact Callahan comes off the books in a year, that’s much better than a “fair value” trade like something around Miller for Risto, unless you are convinced you can find better value than Miller in the UFA market.

Well, my plan revolves around adding someone like Miller via trade, keeping Skinner, and adding via free agency. If we take on Callahan, that's not really very likely. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Not disagreeing, but you seem a lot higher on Zucker than I am.

I see him as a better Sheary, or another Geoff Sanderson.

He’s 27, signed for 4 years at 5.5 Million per. Has positive metrics in almost every category and would slot in on Jack’s RW.

The issue is his M NTC which Buffalo is probably on the list 

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Breakdown...

I know we have fleeced them before but damn ?

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It’s not the only way, but it’s one way to do it without giving up as much long term assets.  That’s something that I think would appeal to a young team that is still trying to build its roster.

52 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, my plan revolves around adding someone like Miller via trade, keeping Skinner, and adding via free agency. If we take on Callahan, that's not really very likely. 

Ok, if you want to resign Skinner, trade for someone like Miller using draft picks/prospects, and sign multiple UFA’s then yes, you would need that cap space.  I don’t think that is the path Buffalo is going down though.

28 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

It’s not the only way, but it’s one way to do it without giving up as much long term assets.  That’s something that I think would appeal to a young team that is still trying to build its roster.

Ok, if you want to resign Skinner, trade for someone like Miller using draft picks/prospects, and sign multiple UFA’s then yes, you would need that cap space.  I don’t think that is the path Buffalo is going down though.

The team isn't that young. Most of the core pieces are in their prime. We have a franchise center and defenseman. The future is now. 

As to whether the Sabres go this path or not, I'm not sure how long Botterill can expect to be employed if he misses the playoffs for a third straight season after icing two of the worst teams in franchise history *while trying to win.*

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The team isn't that young. Most of the core pieces are in their prime. We have a franchise center and defenseman. The future is now. 

As to whether the Sabres go this path or not, I'm not sure how long Botterill can expect to be employed if he misses the playoffs for a third straight season after icing two of the worst teams in franchise history *while trying to win.*

Next year the core pieces will be 27, 25, 25, 23, 22, 20 and 19.

The Bruins core is 41, 33, 32, 30, 27, 23 and 20

The Blues is 28, 27, 27, 26, 26, 25 and 21

Sharks: 34, 33, 31, 29, 28, 27, 24 and 21

Lightning: 29, 28, 28, 27, 26, 25, and 22

Looks like our window ain’t exactly closing soon

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Speaking of “fair value” trades, what’s the last NHL one you can remember the Sabres making?

Everything in the past 10 years feels it was influenced by futures or contracts: Kulikov, Sheary, Lehner, Scandella, both O’Reillys... 

Some might say the Kane deal, but I’d call that a blockbuster. I’m talking one for one or two for two where you’re moving strength from your NHL roster to address weakness or change chemistry. I’m thinking May/Sanderson.

I’d throw that Scandella deal under the “hockey trade” label. Much of that one scream guys needed a change of scenery. 

But anyway, I’d say there’s a very good reason why you’re not seeing many of those deals in recent years. I’d venture a guess that the vast majority of deals around the entire league lean heavily on money and prospects. It’s been that way for a generation or two at this point. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Sometimes these things need to be squashed out

Amen to that. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Next year the core pieces will be 27, 25, 25, 23, 22, 20 and 19.

The Bruins core is 41, 33, 32, 30, 27, 23 and 20

The Blues is 28, 27, 27, 26, 26, 25 and 21

Sharks: 34, 33, 31, 29, 28, 27, 24 and 21

Lightning: 29, 28, 28, 27, 26, 25, and 22

Looks like our window ain’t exactly closing soon

It's not closing soon, but it is open. All of those teams have been competitive for a long time around those players. It's not like this was the first season any of them did anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's not closing soon, but it is open. All of those teams have been competitive for a long time around those players. It's not like this was the first season any of them did anything. 

Thats just it, the Bruins have been at a high level for about a decade now.  They were way ahead of us at this point in the careers of their core.  

The Tampa core is two maybe three years older than our core.  Look what they accomplished in that 2-3 yr gap.  And Tampa needs to shed pieces.  This is our future and we haven’t done anything yet with our Tankfruit.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Thats just it, the Bruins have been at a high level for about a decade now.  They were way ahead of us at this point in the careers of their core.  

The Tampa core is two maybe three years older than our core.  Look what they accomplished in that 2-3 yr gap.  And Tampa needs to shed pieces.  This is our future and we haven’t done anything yet with our Tankfruit.

Mmmm...tankfruit 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, Huckleberry said:

Wonder If Grigorenko would consider going back to the NHL, he has a really good season this year.

Then again Linus omark had a good season to lol

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/671/pts/

As long as Grigorenko stays away from the Sabres, he can go play anywhere his little heart desires. He and Yakupov are dumb and dumber.

edit: I don’t know their intelligence or lack thereof.... so it’s more like bust and bust-ier.

Edited by Zamboni

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.