Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Division rival!?! We're barely in the same league. I'll be worried about Tampa when we actually make the playoffs. 

They ended the winning streak, officially starting the downward spiral.  That should fuel some fan hate.

From The Athletic Seven Possible Trade Partners for Jacob Trouba.

Vogl’s Thoughts 

Buffalo Sabres — courtesy of John Vogl

The Sabres’ biggest need – by far – is scorers. They rely overwhelmingly on Jack Eichel’s line, and the top priority is getting help for the centre.

But a seismic shift to the right side of the defence makes sense, too. Buffalo has the player and/or draft picks to make a move.

Swapping Rasmus Ristolainen for Trouba could help both teams. By acquiring Ristolainen, the Jets essentially stick with the status quo. Both players turn 25 this year. Ristolainen makes $5.4 million per season, $100,000 less than Trouba’s expiring deal, and is signed for three more years. Sometimes overwhelmed as the top guy in Buffalo, Ristolainen could easily slide into Trouba’s No. 2 role behind Byfuglien.

Their stats are comparable. Trouba had eight goals, 42 assists and 50 points this year, while Ristolainen put up five goals, 38 assists and 43 points. Going back to 2014-15, Ristolainen has 34 goals and Trouba has 32. Ristolainen has a hefty edge in assists (156-118), but that’s because he’s gotten double the power-play time. At even strength, Trouba has a slight assist edge at 84-71.

A case could be made for a one-for-one deal. The Sabres are getting the better player, but they’re also getting the costlier contract. With Trouba joining 25-year-old deadline acquisition Brandon Montour on the right side, Buffalo would be in good shape for the foreseeable future.

If the Jets would rather have draft picks, the Sabres have two first-round selections. They own the No. 7 overall pick and No. 30 or 31, depending on playoff results. Neither would work straight-up.

Regardless of how any trade for Trouba is constructed — player or picks — Buffalo has the ammunition to fire away.

Ates: Vogl makes a strong case for Rasmus Ristolainen, a player held in high esteem by many in NHL circles but less so in the analytics community. Winnipeg could sell winning now with Ristolainen behind Byfuglien or attempt to build a package around Buffalo’s many, many draft picks. As in most of these scenarios, Trouba would be the best player in the deal — and that would hurt Winnipeg.

I’m confused, why would we want Trouba? Didn’t we just trade for Montour to anchor the 2nd D line. How does adding another good offensive,  but mediocre defensive D help our team when we need to get our D to stop the other team from scoring.

if we have to trade Risto, use him to help the offense and then find 2 defensively responsible D in free agency to help the team prevent goals.

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m confused, why would we want Trouba? Didn’t we just trade for Montour to anchor the 2nd D line. How does adding another good offensive,  but mediocre defensive D help our team when we need to get our D to stop the other team from scoring.

if we have to trade Risto, use him to help the offense and then find 2 defensively responsible D in free agency to help the team prevent goals.

Is Trouba actually poor defensively?  WIN plays him on the PK quite a lot.  I've seen his defensive play spoken of very highly.

I think the deal with Trouba is that he is the player Risto supporters think he is or could be. 

He is also is good buddies with Bogo and might be open to signing here, whereas he is not in Winnipeg.

There is a lot that might make sense about this trade from both sides, if Trouba wants to be in Buffalo long-term and if the Jets goal is to replace Trouba rather than use him to upgrade in other areas. Given the fact Myers is a UFA, there is reason to believe the former.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the deal with Trouba is that he is the player Risto supporters think he is or could be. 

He is also is good buddies with Bogo and might be open to signing here, whereas he is not in Winnipeg.

There is a lot that might make sense about this trade from both sides, if Trouba wants to be in Buffalo long-term and if the Jets goal is to replace Trouba rather than use him to upgrade in other areas. Given the fact Myers is a UFA, there is reason to believe the former.

I think a trade based around Trouba and Risto could make sense.  Buffalo would maybe have to take on another player with some salary to make it more benefitial to WIN.  Perhaps one or even two of Copp, Lowry, and Perrault. 

12 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I think a trade based around Trouba and Risto could make sense.  Buffalo would maybe have to take on another player with some salary to make it more benefitial to WIN.  Perhaps one or even two of Copp, Lowry, and Perrault. 

I have been mulling the idea in my head of Risto and Nylander for Ehlers and the rights to Trouba.  

I wonder if Winnipeg would ask Trouba what teams he was interested in and then do a sign and trade so he could sign for eight years.  If they trade his rights then he can only sign for a max of seven years.

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I have been mulling the idea in my head of Risto and Nylander for Ehlers and the rights to Trouba.  

I wonder if Winnipeg would ask Trouba what teams he was interested in and then do a sign and trade so he could sign for eight years.  If they trade his rights then he can only sign for a max of seven years.

I don't think that would get the deal done.  That's selling Ehlers pretty low.  I would say something like Risto and Nylander for Trouba, Copp, and a 20/21 2nd/3rd round pick could be more likely.  Especially if they think Copp is going to cost them something like $3.5M+.

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Another idea I have been toying with is McCabe rights and Sheary to Tampa for Miller and Killorn.  Would free up about 7 million for Tampa and they could sign McCabe for about 2.5 million. Sheary only having one year left doesn't hurt Tampa long term.  

I sort of balked at this too, but after thinking about it a little more, maybe.  If they made this trade then found a not too painful way to move Callahan, that would basically take care of their cap issues.

5 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I don't think that would get the deal done.  That's selling Ehlers pretty low.  I would say something like Risto and Nylander for Trouba, Copp, and a 20/21 2nd/3rd round pick could be more likely.  Especially if they think Copp is going to cost them something like $3.5M+.

I sort of balked at this too, but after thinking about it a little more, maybe.  If they made this trade then found a not too painful way to move Callahan, that would basically take care of their cap issues.

I think Winnipeg may try to move Ehlers salary and keep Copp who is a center and would be about 3 million cheaper.  Ehlers lost his place in the line up with the emergence of Connor who is probably looking at getting $5-6 million himself. I would be willing to throw in the late 1st rd pick to complete the trade.

I still think Tampa may end up buying out Callahan because they will not find someone to take on his cap hit.

Edited by sweetlou

15 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think Winnipeg may try to move Ehlers salary and keep Copp who is a center and would be about 3 million cheaper.  Ehlers lost his place in the line up with the emergence of Connor who is probably looking at getting $5-6 million himself. I would be willing to throw in the late 1st rd pick to complete the trade.

I still think Tampa may end up buying out Callahan because they will not find someone to take on his cap hit. 

Maybe.  I don't know what WIN plans.  I feel like they would have had to really soured on Ehlers to move him in a deal like that.

I don't think it should be that hard to find a team willing to take on Callahan.  Its only $5M for 1yr.  Buffalo could easily do that if it would net them an extra 2nd rounder or something.  Only issue would be if Callahan is willing to wave his NTC.

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Maybe.  I don't know what WIN plans.  I feel like they would have had to really soured on Ehlers to move him in a deal like that.

I don't think it should be that hard to find a team willing to take on Callahan.  Its only $5M for 1yr.  Buffalo could easily do that if it would net them an extra 2nd rounder or something.  Only issue would be if Callahan is willing to wave his NTC.

Every time I see WIN I think of the hockey writer (Custance maybe) who seemingly purposefully uses incorrect team abbreviations in his tweets. 

20 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Every time I see WIN I think of the hockey writer (Custance maybe) who seemingly purposefully uses incorrect team abbreviations in his tweets. 

But you can safely use that incorrect abbreviation around us because we have no idea what that word actually means

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Your trade ideas are consistently brutal it’s fun. We’d have to add a ton to this.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Your trade ideas are consistently brutal it’s fun. We’d have to add a ton to this.

Love the people that think trade proposals are brutal...remember NJ got Hall for Larsson??

WPG is up against the cap with a lot of RFA's to sign.  Trouba does not want to play there and I think WPG wants to keep Copp, Laine, and Connor over Ehlers.  

By them getting Risto for Trouba it gives WPG a 2nd RD behind Byfuglien for the next couple of years at a cheaper salary then Trouba will get.  Moving on from Ehlers who had a disappointing injury year for them in a reduced role with the emergence of Connor.  Its not always a straight up trade that you have to look at. It is what the trade allows the team to do for other players.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Love the people that think trade proposals are brutal...remember NJ got Hall for Larsson??

That was a brutal trade.  We should never expect anything like that to happen.  When it does happen every X years, we should be shocked.

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From The Athletic Seven Possible Trade Partners for Jacob Trouba.

Vogl’s Thoughts 

Buffalo Sabres — courtesy of John Vogl

The Sabres’ biggest need – by far – is scorers. They rely overwhelmingly on Jack Eichel’s line, and the top priority is getting help for the centre.

But a seismic shift to the right side of the defence makes sense, too. Buffalo has the player and/or draft picks to make a move.

Swapping Rasmus Ristolainen for Trouba could help both teams. By acquiring Ristolainen, the Jets essentially stick with the status quo. Both players turn 25 this year. Ristolainen makes $5.4 million per season, $100,000 less than Trouba’s expiring deal, and is signed for three more years. Sometimes overwhelmed as the top guy in Buffalo, Ristolainen could easily slide into Trouba’s No. 2 role behind Byfuglien.

Their stats are comparable. Trouba had eight goals, 42 assists and 50 points this year, while Ristolainen put up five goals, 38 assists and 43 points. Going back to 2014-15, Ristolainen has 34 goals and Trouba has 32. Ristolainen has a hefty edge in assists (156-118), but that’s because he’s gotten double the power-play time. At even strength, Trouba has a slight assist edge at 84-71.

A case could be made for a one-for-one deal. The Sabres are getting the better player, but they’re also getting the costlier contract. With Trouba joining 25-year-old deadline acquisition Brandon Montour on the right side, Buffalo would be in good shape for the foreseeable future.

If the Jets would rather have draft picks, the Sabres have two first-round selections. They own the No. 7 overall pick and No. 30 or 31, depending on playoff results. Neither would work straight-up.

Regardless of how any trade for Trouba is constructed — player or picks — Buffalo has the ammunition to fire away.

Ates: Vogl makes a strong case for Rasmus Ristolainen, a player held in high esteem by many in NHL circles but less so in the analytics community. Winnipeg could sell winning now with Ristolainen behind Byfuglien or attempt to build a package around Buffalo’s many, many draft picks. As in most of these scenarios, Trouba would be the best player in the deal — and that would hurt Winnipeg.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd be fine with Ristolainen for Trouba if the Peg would go for it.  Once Dahlin gets ready for top line duty, they'd have a legit 1 & 3 2nd pairing guys (McCabe's 2nd pairing IMHO) at worst.  At present, they'd likely have 4 2nd pairing guys at worst with guys like Scandella, Bogosian, & Pilut that are poor man's 2nd pairing & good 3rd pairing guys plus Nelson & the other kid that looks promising.  And it would finally put to rest the endless Risto haggling.

Would really be interested in @Thorny's thoughts on it because he sees way more Jet games than the rest of us.

McCabe - Trouba

Dahlin - Montour

Me likey.

Getting a guy  like Trouba solidifies your top 3 three defenseman. It also gives you options with Scandella and Bogo to look to trade before season or at trade deadline since they are both on expiring deals.

Dahlin- Trouba

McCabe- Montour

Pilut- Bogo

Depth or trade-

Scandella, Hunwick, Nelson

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why are we trading for Trouba? I don't need Trouba to make Dahlin work. I could give Dahlin Nelson and they would be just fine. I'd rather trade Risto to upgrade the forwards and their complete inability to score. 

I would rather trade Risto for forward help as well. Look for a Stralman, Chiarot, Del Zotto, Benn type of signing to add to our d-core in order to move on from Risto.

All could probably be had on one or two year deals for between $3-4 million AAV.  This gives time for Borgen to grow in Roch and eventually be Dahlin's partner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.