Assistant Coaches / coaching team

Happy Days

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It means I couldn't give a ***** if the goaltending coach gets a chance to fix anything as long as we win and we're not somehow locked into salary cap hell.

I think adding a 3rd goalie is a mistake unless they are dirt cheap, like burying them takes all their salary away. 

19 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Thanks for the cameo guys ?

Do we think the GT coach will make a huge difference, or is it all in thr GT ceiling of abilities? 

I think the GT coach will make a big difference.  It's not as much about ceiling of abilities but a bad coach can encourage the wrong behaviors in a goaltender.  

I think people don't fully understand what goalie coaches do sometimes. 

It's not only working with the goalies on technical aspects of their game.  They help coordinate between goalie and defense about how to play certain situations.  They help the team to see tendencies in how the opposition's goalies/defense play certain situations.  They help to keep the goaltenders in the right frame of mind, dealing with the very unique mental stresses of the position. 

There is a lot more there than giving tips on how to make a save.  The goaltender is the single most important player on any team.  I believe that the coach you bring in to be an expert in that position can make a big difference to the team.  Bales is an important hire.

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What's Granato do? 

Assuming the Davis Payne role. Just looking him up.

Looks like his biggest claim to fame is running the US national development program.

WIKI:

Don Granato (born August 11, 1967) is an American former ice hockey player and former assistant coach with the Chicago Blackhawks. Granato was previously head coach of the USA Hockey National Team Development Program and the Worcester IceCats and Chicago Wolves of the AHL. He was also head coach of the Columbus Chill and Peoria Rivermen of the East Coast Hockey League (with whom he won the Kelly Cup as a coach in 2000). He also coached the Green Bay Gamblers and Wisconsin Capitols of the United States Hockey League. He most recently was an associate coach with the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey team.

During the 2000–01 AHL season, Granato won the Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as the outstanding coach of the AHL.

In March, Granato assumed an assistant coaching position under his brother, Tony, with the Wisconsin Badgers men's ice hockey team.[1] On June 15, he became an assistant coach, along with Ulf Samuelsson, under Joel Quenneville of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks.[2]

He is also the brother of Cammi and Tony, and the brother-in-law of Ray Ferraro.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What did Payne run? Sorry, I wasn't familiar with our assistants and what they did at all. Just trying to see where the Sabres are looking for upgrades. I know Smith was a defensive guy right?

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Looks like his biggest claim to fame is running the US national development program.

WIKI:

Don Granato (born August 11, 1967) is an American former ice hockey player and former assistant coach with the Chicago Blackhawks. Granato was previously head coach of the USA Hockey National Team Development Program and the Worcester IceCats and Chicago Wolves of the AHL. He was also head coach of the Columbus Chill and Peoria Rivermen of the East Coast Hockey League (with whom he won the Kelly Cup as a coach in 2000). He also coached the Green Bay Gamblers and Wisconsin Capitols of the United States Hockey League. He most recently was an associate coach with the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey team.

During the 2000–01 AHL season, Granato won the Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as the outstanding coach of the AHL.

In March, Granato assumed an assistant coaching position under his brother, Tony, with the Wisconsin Badgers men's ice hockey team.[1] On June 15, he became an assistant coach, along with Ulf Samuelsson, under Joel Quenneville of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks.[2]

He is also the brother of Cammi and Tony, and the brother-in-law of Ray Ferraro.

If he coached the Badgers he knows and heavily scouted Caufield who is going to Wisconsin. EDIT: I see that Granato was with Chicago the last 2 years not Wisconsin. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Granato was a Quenville hire who stayed on for continuity reasons, but apparently didn’t fit with Colliton long-term. “Mutual decision” departure was the official story. Bales was under contract and resigned to come here.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, I Remember Imlach said:

Just wondering: why were Bales and Granato available and willing to come to Buffalo?  They were both assistants on other NHL teams (= a good thing, not a dig) so it's not clear this is a promotion for either one.

RK does have a good reputation amongst those who have worked with him which helps and they do have some talent. 

Apparently Bales Contract was up per Don Waddell and he agreed to a deal with Buffalo. 

Granato actually coached quite a few Players in the Organization 

Add Sean Malone to this list as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Has Granato coached any of the NTDP prospects at the top of this year's draft? 

He has been with Chicago the past two years, so my guess would be no. 

But as mentioned up thread he would have good intelligence from his brother on Caufield as well as Weissbach 

From my additional reading, I don’t see Granato talked up as an offensive guy (or a tactical wiz) and Bales is listed simply as assistant coach, not goalie coach (Waddell was quoted as saying he had a window in his contract to pursue full-time employment and the Sabres asked permission to talk to him.)

So I’m going to remain on the fence as to who will do what under Krueger.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.