Assistant Coaches / coaching team

Happy Days

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

From my additional reading, I don’t see Granato talked up as an offensive guy (or a tactical wiz) and Bales is listed simply as assistant coach, not goalie coach (Waddell was quoted as saying he had a window in his contract to pursue full-time employment and the Sabres asked permission to talk to him.)

So I’m going to remain on the fence as to who will do what under Krueger.

I would bet that the structure under Kreuger is going to look something like a Presidential cabinet. 

On 6/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, I Remember Imlach said:

Just wondering: why were Bales and Granato available and willing to come to Buffalo?  They were both assistants on other NHL teams (= a good thing, not a dig) so it's not clear this is a promotion for either one.

As it was stated, but I'll clarify on Bales.  He was a goalie coach. The Sabres made him an assistant so it's a promotion and that clears the way.  Even if he just works with goalies. ?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Why was I thinking that we had Tony Granato in as an assistant for a year or two post-Lindy?  Is there some other player from that era we brought in an assistant at some point?

And yes, I realize the current hire is not Tony.

Maybe thinking of the Ron Rolston/Brian Rolston thing?

I've looked through here and Twitter...

Anybody know if Mike Vellucci is still a possibility? He just led a young Charlotte Checkers team to the Calder Cup.

He was AGM and Director of Player Development with Carolina before he took the coaching job...we need more talent developers working with this young team.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/mike-vellucci-s-fingerprints-all-over-checkers-calder-cup-run

While he’ll surely deflect the credit onto his team, Vellucci’s fingerprints are all over this championship, and the group that he joined on the ice to celebrate a Calder Cup with is one that fully adopted his ways and became winners.

“It’s a mindset,” said Vellucci. “There’s skill and things like that, but more importantly there’s a mindset to being a winner in hockey.”

Sounds like a Krueger type of guy.

19 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

I've looked through here and Twitter...

Anybody know if Mike Vellucci is still a possibility? He just led a young Charlotte Checkers team to the Calder Cup.

He was AGM and Director of Player Development with Carolina before he took the coaching job...we need more talent developers working with this young team.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/mike-vellucci-s-fingerprints-all-over-checkers-calder-cup-run

Sounds like a Krueger type of guy.

Seems like the staff is set with the 3 assistant coaches - Granato (offesnse), Smith (defence), Bales (goalies)

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Seems like the staff is set with the 3 assistant coaches - Granato (offesnse), Smith (defence), Bales (goalies)

Would be surprised if they didn't bring in 1-2 more.  Kreuger said it would be a long process finding the assistants.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Would be surprised if they didn't bring in 1-2 more.  Kreuger said it would be a long process finding the assistants.

He also said he prefers a small staff, at least initially, to keep the message consistent and the bench focused. 

In Edmonton, it was just him and Smith behind the bench, with another guy in the stands. He doesn’t like teaching during games and tends to be very hands-on with in-game strategy and player utilization. He said he likes to make quick and early decisions on who is going and what is working.

Wouldnt surprise me if he handles the O himself, with Smith on the D and Granato up top.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

He also said he prefers a small staff, at least initially, to keep the message consistent and the bench focused. 

In Edmonton, it was just him and Smith behind the bench, with another guy in the stands. He doesn’t like teaching during games and tends to be very hands-on with in-game strategy and player utilization. He said he likes to make quick and early decisions on who is going and what is working.

Wouldnt surprise me if he handles the O himself, with Smith on the D and Granato up top.

And Bales sits on top of the net. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.