Assistant Coaches / coaching team

Happy Days

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Reading this I have no doubt that he is a Krueger type of coach. Sounds almost like him when talking analytics and working with players. 

On paper, Mrazek and MacElhinney were the worst goalie tandem in the league heading into last year.

His results were impressive and exactly the magic we’re looking for.

We need better goaltending and it has to be coming from within.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

On paper, Mrazek and MacElhinney were the worst goalie tandem in the league heading into last year.

His results were impressive and exactly the magic we’re looking for.

We need better goaltending and it has to be coming from within.

I've stated previously that my biggest area of concern was the lack of improvement from Ullmark. Apparently Botterill wasn't happy with it either given how quickly they replaced that specific position.

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

How much input/control do we think JB has on hiring assistant coaches as compared with RK?

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

None, I hope.  Bottsie hired Krugsie.  Let the head coach hire the assistants.  The GM should be looking for good / better players.

Friedman and Marek mentioned on a Podcast that the GMs usually are allowed to hire one Asst Coach for the staff. 

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

None, I hope.  Bottsie hired Krugsie.  Let the head coach hire the assistants.  The GM should be looking for good / better players.

Couldn't disagree more. Should be a collaborative process especially since jbott would know ppl Krueger doesnt 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Yes, Carolina’s goaltending was greatly improved this past season and was a big reason that they were able to break through.

An AHL goalie took them to the playoffs. I’ll put my faith in that guy to coach our goalies. 

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

An article that was linked on the HFboards seemed useful to read

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26141295/the-secret-carolina-hurricanes-goaltending-turnaround

about our supposed new goalie coach and his philosophies. One thing I noticed is some of his answers sound like RK's  

Wookie no need to peruse other Sabres Message Boards for quality content 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Reading this I have no doubt that he is a Krueger type of coach. Sounds almost like him when talking analytics and working with players. 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, darksabre said:

I've stated previously that my biggest area of concern was the lack of improvement from Ullmark. Apparently Botterill wasn't happy with it either given how quickly they replaced that specific position.

Given that Ullmark and Hutton started to look like Lehner with their poor positioning and over commitment I knew Allen had to be gone.  Given that Lehner looked light years better on the Island, I knew Allen had to be gone.

Thankfully, he's gone.  I was begging for it at the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

It's interesting that Bales could simply exit his contract with one team to immediately join another team.

I'm sure we offered more money, and he was familiar with the GM and the area, but interesting nonetheless.  Contract may have had out clauses or at least little to no exit penalty clauses.

I mean, we just stole a coach to an identical position.

17 hours ago, nfreeman said:

How much input/control do we think JB has on hiring assistant coaches as compared with RK?

Uh, total? I'm dubious that Ralph somehow has a Pittsburgh fetish.

The goalie coach hire feels to me like something losing franchises do. "Well, I know this guy I used to work with..." You have an unlimited budget and a new coach with connections in the hockey community around the world, and you don't cast a very wide net. I mean, the guy sounds qualified. I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It's interesting that Bales could simply exit his contract with one team to immediately join another team.

I'm sure we offered more money, and he was familiar with the GM and the area, but interesting nonetheless.  Contract may have had out clauses or at least little to no exit penalty clauses.

I mean, we just stole a coach to an identical position.

He may not have had a contract that had any guarantee or obligations to continue into 2019-2020.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Uh, total? I'm dubious that Ralph somehow has a Pittsburgh fetish.

The goalie coach hire feels to me like something losing franchises do. "Well, I know this guy I used to work with..." You have an unlimited budget and a new coach with connections in the hockey community around the world, and you don't cast a very wide net. I mean, the guy sounds qualified. I guess we'll see. 

I too have had this concern about JB.

I think it's fair to say that JB has burned up quite a bit of his "new GM benefit of the doubt" quotient.  The team needs to be a lot better this year, and JB needs to be proven right about guys like RK, Mittsy and Montour.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I too have had this concern about JB.

I think it's fair to say that JB has burned up quite a bit of his "new GM benefit of the doubt" quotient.  The team needs to be a lot better this year, and JB needs to be proven right about guys like RK, Mittsy and Montour.

Correct. Barring unusual circumstances (injuries, stupidly bad puck luck, etc.) I'd go one farther and say they have to be a playoff team. Or so stupidly close they miss out on the final day of the season via shootout or something. Botterill has iced two teams worse than Murray did, one of which was tank-worthy while trying to win. Woof. There's no way to know how thin his ice is with Pegula, but I can't imagine he has much of any rope left with fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m not sure what’s wrong with familiarity.

Saying “we need a world traveller with amazing flow, @Wyldnwoody44 would be perfect” then going out and getting him is not the same as saying “we need a poster who will maximize GDT engagement, my sister’s kid, @dudacek can type and is probably going to be there anyway” and calling it a day.

If you know somebody is good, by all means go get him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure what’s wrong with familiarity.

Saying “we need a world traveller with amazing flow, @Wyldnwoody44 would be perfect” then going out and getting him is not the same as saying “we need a poster who will maximize GDT engagement, my sister’s kid, @dudacek can type and is probably going to be there anyway” and calling it a day.

If you know somebody is good, by all means go get him.

Right. The problem comes in when knowing somebody leads you to have undue confidence in them. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Why? Then we would have Ullmark, Hutton and Mrazek. How would that work?

Then maybe one of the three won't be smoldering garbage. May the best two win.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Right. The problem comes in when knowing somebody leads you to have undue confidence in them. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Then maybe one of the three won't be smoldering garbage. May the best two win.

But how are you getting rid of the extra one in the end? Magic? You can't send them to Rochester because they have 2 goalies so you have to send him away via trade. Tricky prospect considering the trade market. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But how are you getting rid of the extra one in the end? Magic? You can't send them to Rochester because they have 2 goalies so you have to send him away via trade. Tricky prospect considering the trade market. 

So move a Rochester goalie to the ECHL, Siberia, or the Atlantic ocean. I don't really care. The AHL depth chart should have zero effect on trying to improve the NHL goaltending.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So move a Rochester goalie to the ECHL, Siberia, or the Atlantic ocean. I don't really care. The AHL depth chart should have zero effect on trying to improve the NHL goaltending.

It certainly does when you put 6K down there as your starter. I would rather give the new GT coach a chance to fix what we have. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.