Assistant Coaches / coaching team

Happy Days

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like the Boucher idea.

So do I. When the topic of Lindy's assistant coaches came up one time, I looked through the rest of the league and found he was the only coach, or one of only a handful, to not have a former NHL head coach among his assistants. I always felt it was a sign of insecurity. Krueger could really use someone like Boucher.

His staff is one of the first ways we'll evaluate him. No favors to former Sabres, or former Sabres' kids, thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure why Steve Smith gets all the love. I'd prefer a whole new group but one that does include a veteran (like a Boucher or Boughner) who can be given the HC interim job quickly if this experiment falters badly. 

I suspect Krueger wants his own people so no idea who they might be.  A new/good goaltending coach is also a really good idea. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure why Steve Smith gets all the love.

He's the one coach that JBot didn't fire.  With the hire of Krueger and the fact that Krueger and Smith worked together at EDM, it would appear the reason was that JBot thought Krueger would want to keep Smith on staff.  I'm sure that if Krueger doesn't want to work with Smith he can let him go.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Wonder if Lindy would return as an assistant?

I wouldn't hire him. That's undermining your current coach by bringing in someone a chunk of the fanbase will be screaming for at the first loss. Also his history with other people still in the organization. I would rather have completely new ideas. 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He's the one coach that JBot didn't fire.  With the hire of Krueger and the fact that Krueger and Smith worked together at EDM, it would appear the reason was that JBot thought Krueger would want to keep Smith on staff.  I'm sure that if Krueger doesn't want to work with Smith he can let him go.

Almost like Jbott had his mind made up about which coach he wanted back when PH was fired.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Almost like Jbott had his mind made up about which coach he wanted back when PH was fired.

Krueger was definitely on his short list. They apparently had been talking about Krueger joining the Sabres for two years.  I think coming here and coaching was recent.

Apparently is was mentioned that Jbot interviewed 7 people during the HC search. Does that mean that all 7 were specifically for the HC job, or were some of these interviews for possible assistants? For example, I wonder if the talks with Leaman were to get him to come on as an assistant. Same for Jacques Martin. 

19 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Apparently is was mentioned that Jbot interviewed 7 people during the HC search. Does that mean that all 7 were specifically for the HC job, or were some of these interviews for possible assistants? For example, I wonder if the talks with Leaman were to get him to come on as an assistant. Same for Jacques Martin. 

I wouldn't hire Jacques Martin to drive the Zamboni. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.