Lindy Ruff Interviewed for the Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

I'm a huge Lindy fan.  I loved him as a player and also as a coach.  I would love to see him get another opportunity to be a NHL head coach and be really successful.  I also don't think that bringing him back would have been the right move for the franchise right now.  I have no problem with him getting an interview.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

Any interest in Lindy as an assistant?  Safety valve if one or both of JBOT or HCRK flame out.

1. He's under contract as an assistant coach for the Rangers.
  2. You hire an assistant coach that brings some skills or experience (offensive/defensive tactics, special teams, motivation, teaching) that your coaching staff needs.  You don't setup for failure by hiring your next coach as an assistant.  Lindy's experience would certainly help some coaching staff, but it'll be up to Krueger, Smith, and Botterill to decide what skill sets they need to add, and Lindy won't be in consideration (see #1).
Edited by IKnowPhysics

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I would guess that Lindy's agent contacted the Sabres and JB interviewed him out of respect/courtesy but that it wasn't a real possibility.

Either that or Botterill figured it was a great opportunity to pick the brain of a very experienced coach with massive ties/connection to the Sabres organization.  Bounce ideas off him and what not...with or without the intention of ever really considering Ruff a legitimate candidate.

These coaching hire searches are a great way to get multiple takes on the Sabres situation and I'm sure Botterill is using that to his advantage, even if I don't really like the guy.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Either that or Botterill figured it was a great opportunity to pick the brain of a very experienced coach with massive ties/connection to the Sabres organization.  Bounce ideas off him and what not...with or without the intention of ever really considering Ruff a legitimate candidate.

These coaching hire searches are a great way to get multiple takes on the Sabres situation and I'm sure Botterill is using that to his advantage, even if I don't really like the guy.

What ideas? 

Edited by LGR4GM

I would have been very happy with Lindy coming back.  IMHO, he is one of the best combinations of strategist and tactician in the NHL.  If I am going into a playoff series with Lindy as the coach, I always think that I have a chance because he is so good at finding flaws in the opposition's back end and for driving the other team nuts.  I also love the way he is able to get under the opposition's skin and keep the press off of his players' backs.

9 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I would have been very happy with Lindy coming back.  IMHO, he is one of the best combinations of strategist and tactician in the NHL.  If I am going into a playoff series with Lindy as the coach, I always think that I have a chance because he is so good at finding flaws in the opposition's back end and for driving the other team nuts.  I also love the way he is able to get under the opposition's skin and keep the press off of his players' backs.

Why don't his peers agree with you?

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why don't his peers agree with you?

His last stint in Dallas was not as successful in the playoffs as it was in the regular season.  I personally think that it was very suspect goaltending, but many in Dallas at the time blamed Lindy's system as being too hard for the goaltenders and defence to follow.  (Sound familiar?)  I also recall that he chafed under their GM.  And, I think that has finished him as a head coach in the NHL.

I can defend his playoff outings for a long, long time, but there is no point -- as you noted, no one agrees with me.

21 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

11 just went from 6 to 8:45.

20 hours ago, Weave said:

And now I hate what his username has become to me.

Good stuff!

Seriously though, why was all the talk about Ruff not wanting to be a head coach anymore?

2 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

His last stint in Dallas was not as successful in the playoffs as it was in the regular season.  I personally think that it was very suspect goaltending, but many in Dallas at the time blamed Lindy's system as being too hard for the goaltenders and defence to follow.  (Sound familiar?)  I also recall that he chafed under their GM.  And, I think that has finished him as a head coach in the NHL.

I can defend his playoff outings for a long, long time, but there is no point -- as you noted, no one agrees with me.

I do.

But his system needs very good to great goaltending and he did not have that in Dallas.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

*white girls in their 20s on instagram*

.....would have probably done just as good of a job as the last 4 Sabres HCs.

Hiring Lindy back (who I always liked) would of been an act of desperation in my eyes.

Forward with HCPK and bring on an atmosphere of lead, follow or get out of the way.

5 hours ago, SDS said:

Equally as illustrative, would you agree to do chores around your ex-wife’s house while her new husband took care of the important big picture items in their life?

How much are you going to pay me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

But his system needs very good to great goaltending and he did not have that in Dallas.

So when Kreuger walks out on the NHL again to join AFC Bournemouth in their on-going quest to skirt relegation and UPL is called up, Lindy makes his return!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.