Lindy Ruff Interviewed for the Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Negative.

Completely agree.  I never interview anyone that is not “in consideration” for a position. Maybe you give a look to someone who on paper might not measure up to others but you want to see and hear them.   Otherwise it’s a waste of time.  Botterill taking time to interview a candidate that clearly would be a step back is a curious and concerning decision.   And I was a huge fan of his in the day.  Next to Scotty my favorite.  But no.

george costanza no GIF by HULU

I still wonder if the interview with Lindy was for the even that "they guy" JBot really wanted was a bit too green and needed some mentoring under an experienced HC (Executive Head Coach/Associate Head Coach arrangement).  For instance if they'd selected Epic Beard but wanted someone with North American HC experience.  If Krueger couldn't take the position other scenarios would have been in play.

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would guess that Lindy's agent contacted the Sabres and JB interviewed him out of respect/courtesy but that it wasn't a real possibility.

I doubt Botterill is wasting his time during a HC search, FA, the draft, and Team Canada, to pay respect to Lindy just because he used to coach here

• Like (+1) 1

No, he was more like the "safe school" you apply to as a high school senior.  You know you'll get accepted but it's not the school you really want to go to.  So if Tippett and Krueger and McLellan and... and... and... went elsewhere, you knew there'd be someone behind the bench come training camp.

I love Lindy and I know he loved his time with the Sabres, but I can also remember realizing it was time to move on and he needed to go.

24 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Is that personal interest or what you think would be the interest from Botterill?  I personally think it would be a great add, merely from an experience point of view. 

I think it is a horrendous idea fraught with multiple problems. There are other ways of adding experience than bringing back a 17 year head coach to be an assistant. That is the exact opposite way to move forward. 

Why should we bring ruff back? What has he done since he left to show he has something to give? Experience for experience sake is not a qualification. 

25 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Is that personal interest or what you think would be the interest from Botterill?  I personally think it would be a great add, merely from an experience point of view. 

Would you hire your ex-wife to babysit the kids you had from your new Wife?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Equally as illustrative, would you agree to do chores around your ex-wife’s house while her new husband took care of the important big picture items in their life?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.