Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 hour ago, eman said:

Exactly, and if so, why hasn't some other club noticed this and snatched him up way before the Sabres? I am cautiously optimistic as well. I hope all these good things said about him are absolutely true. The guy was coaching soccer and has n't been an NHL head coach since what? 2013? Again, I hope he is just what this club needs and I do wish him all the best! My gut instinct tells me different and I honestly hope I'm wrong.

I will say, without realizing he was the Swiss coach, that they always impressed me in the Olympics or World Cup tournaments. They always seemed to pull off some big upsets, although many times it was because of their goalie stopping about 60 shots.  I find the hire pretty interesting, looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

• Like (+1) 2

This is quote below from an Edmonton paper gives me hope. I am going to posit that maybe this is just 1st step in a larger plan as a few here have also said. 2-3 year contract as coach to help set the culture and team in right direction and then a move up to president of Hockey.  

What I see as the ideal model now, is a really strong triangle, for me the triangle of the head coach, the general manager and the president in a professional sports organization. If you get three people that have different strengths to fill each other’s weaknesses, which we all have, and they work in unison toward a goal on a regular basis, that for me is the basis.”

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beer said:

Can anyone comment on a "RK" type player?  Is he going to want highly skilled or physical presence?  I'm interest to see how JBotts drafts as well as plays RFA / trades.  I think RK's analytic skills discussed up thread could really benefit this organization.

In general, I don't love or hate this coaching decision.  I'm optimistic but that is my nature.  I just want to watch Sabre's hockey. 

Offhand my bet is he would love a RoR or Bergeron, but then again who wouldn't 

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Gives me a whole new impression of Botterill.

Nothing safe or boring here.

On a few levels it isn't a safe pick, but this is a guy that has ties to Botterill since Krueger was a teen.  He also was reported to be high on Jason's list prior to the Housley hire.  Sticking with people you've directly interacted with, on a certain level is the definition of "safe."

And it reinforces the impression of Botterill that he sticks with what and who he knows.  Though it looks like this pickis from "outside the box," is it really?  On the 1 hand going with what you trust makes a lot of sense.  (If it works, why change up.)  On the other, you leave an awful lot of good candidates (whether it be coaches or draftees or whatever) on the outside when they don't come through the preferred vetting process/ channel.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, R_Dudley said:

This is quote below from an Edmonton paper gives me hope. I am going to posit that maybe this is just 1st step in a larger plan as a few here have also said. 2-3 year contract as coach to help set the culture and team in right direction and then a move up to president of Hockey. 

So JBOT just hired his own future boss.  Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

On a few levels it isn't a safe pick, but this is a guy that has ties to Botterill since Krueger was a teen.  He also was reported to be high on Jason's list prior to the Housley hire.  Sticking with people you've directly interacted with, on a certain level is the definition of "safe."

And it reinforces the impression of Botterill that he sticks with what and who he knows.  Though it looks like this pickis from "outside the box," is it really?  On the 1 hand going with what you trust makes a lot of sense.  (If it works, why change up.)  On the other, you leave an awful lot of good candidates (whether it be coaches or draftees or whatever) on the outside when they don't come through the preferred vetting process/ channel.

Botterill said that despite the dad/teacher thing he did not have a relationship with Krueger.

His first real conversations came at the suggestion of Jim Rutherford as Jason was searching for his first coach shortly after taking over the Sabres.

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to note that Botterill mentioned Dahlin, Eichel and Reinhart when talking about young players progressing. Risto was not listed. Am I reading too much into this? Yes, yes I am.

I'm going to go ahead and rule out Hunwick since he's nothing more than fodder.  At this point, Risto is the second most experienced defenseman on this team, second to only Bogosian.  With 6 seasons under his belt, I'd say he's graduated from that young player label at this point, regardless of his actual age.

Edit: Oops, forgot Scandella, so make him #3.  Still, the point stands.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

RK this team is not in a rebuild, we are ready to take the next step in competitiveness.

He watched playoff games in Buffalo Bars and talked with patrons about the Sabres were he got a feel for the passion of the fans. 

Totally love that. Get immersed with the community and see what the hockey culture feels like. I understand not loving the hire (although I'm really starting to) but the flat out outrage over his hire is just knee jerk reactions because they didn't hire "your guy".  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

RK this team is not in a rebuild, we are ready to take the next step in competitiveness.

He watched playoff games in Buffalo Bars and talked with patrons about the Sabres were he got a feel for the passion of the fans. 

Eight years on Sabrespace together and this marks the first time I have ever posted news ahead of @Brawndo ?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want to note that Botterill mentioned Dahlin, Eichel and Reinhart when talking about young players progressing. Risto was not listed. Am I reading too much into this? Yes, yes I am. 

I don't think he has confidence issues. I think he needs sheltered minutes in the offensive zone and a stay at home defense partner to make up for his gafs. 

Based on how Botterill responded to PHam’s question about would having so many D Men out with injuries, would that preclude you from making trades,  Risto is gone IMO

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Based on how Botterill responded to PHam’s question about would having so many D Men out with injuries, would that preclude you from making trades,  Risto is gone IMO

Good read. The answer was about as close as GM-speak gets to a blunt "no"

33 minutes ago, Beer said:

Can anyone comment on a "RK" type player?  Is he going to want highly skilled or physical presence?  I'm interest to see how JBotts drafts as well as plays RFA / trades.  I think RK's analytic skills discussed up thread could really benefit this organization.

In general, I don't love or hate this coaching decision.  I'm optimistic but that is my nature.  I just want to watch Sabre's hockey. 

From what little I know, I don't think there IS an RK type of player. His bag is assessing the players he has and finding a strategy that works with them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.