Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is obnoxious

If you want to re-litigate the tank, we can do it but don't just do a drive by and drop it in a random thread. 

It’s not random.  

It sounds like part of the reason this guy was chosen is that he’s good at setting a positive tone, establishing a winning culture, etc.  Those qualities  are sorely needed here because the franchise has become thoroughly suffused in a culture of losing — and that is EXACTLY the outcome that many of us warned against.

Didn’t you agree last summer that if this past season turned out badly, you would admit that the tank was the wrong move?

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It’s not random.  

It sounds like part of the reason this guy was chosen is that he’s good at setting a positive tone, establishing a winning culture, etc.  Those qualities  are sorely needed here because the franchise has become thoroughly suffused in a culture of losing — and that is EXACTLY the outcome that many of us warned against.

Didn’t you agree last summer that if this past season turned out badly, you would admit that the tank was the wrong move?

If you can find it, i will admit too it. I think the rebuild was terrible. I think the ROR trade was terrible. Both of those impacted the team more this year than tanking. 

Primarily regarded as a motivator, Krueger also knows how to delegate.

“X’s and O’s at the World Cup, he had his say,” Vanek said. “But we had Paul Maurice on our staff who is really good with that stuff. That’s where Ralph was very good. He knows we had a guy like Maurice on staff, and he’s OK with delegating. That shows leadership and character on his part.

“He wasn’t threatened by Paul. He loved Paul, and we trusted the system because he trusted it. They worked great together, and I loved playing for him. I can speak for most of the guys in that they loved him.”

https://theathletic.com/978383/2019/05/14/as-sabres-tab-ralph-krueger-to-become-their-next-coach-one-of-teams-former-stars-sings-his-praises/

Edited by LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It’s not random.  

The tank was not the problem it is the incompetent GMs and coaches that have lead us here.  Unfortunately Botteril is still here.  I expect RK to do a great job but if Bots doesn't get him quaity players it won't matter.  I also expect RK to move up to either GM or director of hockey ops in the near future. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like it.  I like the courage to think and be different JBott has shown here.  Someone in this organization needs to show some creativity and courage and if it comes from the top, I'm in.

The thing about RK that will be different from ...a lot... of possible coaches is that the guy seems to have made a career about respecting an individual's strengths and weaknesses and trying to figure out how to work with this, including himself.  So, when he says "I will be a lot less about technicalities and tactics than I will be into keeping communication lines open..." I believe, expect, rather, that he will have at least one exceptional tactician as an assistant.

To me, that's the only weak point of this hire, tactics and strategy in game.  If he can address that correctly, and he already has a head start by admitting it, then I have a little hope here.

Can't say enough, though, about the craziness of the hire.  I do love that.

• Like (+1) 5

Of all the stuff about Krueger that's interesting, this quote from Vanek in this Athletic piece has me the most excited:

“X’s and O’s at the World Cup, he had his say,” Vanek said. “But we had Paul Maurice on our staff who is really good with that stuff. That’s where Ralph was very good. He knows we had a guy like Maurice on staff, and he’s OK with delegating. That shows leadership and character on his part.

“He wasn’t threatened by Paul. He loved Paul, and we trusted the system because he trusted it. They worked great together, and I loved playing for him. I can speak for most of the guys in that they loved him.”

To me, thats a hallmark of what I want out of a headcoach, in almost any sport. Your job, really, is management. You should have an idea of the type of team you want to run, then go out and find experts in running that team and hire them. You have influence and make the final decisions, but you shouldn't be out there calling lines or calling plays. Hire the smartest people, listen to them, and be able to 1)interpret and use the information they give you correctly and 2) communicate efficiently and effectively what you want to the coaches and players.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ... said:

I like it.  I like the courage to think and be different JBott has shown here.  Someone in this organization needs to show some creativity and courage and if it comes from the top, I'm in.

The thing about RK that will be different from ...a lot... of possible coaches is that the guy seems to have made a career about respecting an individual's strengths and weaknesses and trying to figure out how to work with this, including himself.  So, when he says "I will be a lot less about technicalities and tactics than I will be into keeping communication lines open..." I believe, expect, rather, that he will have at least one exceptional tactician as an assistant.

To me, that's the only weak point of this hire, tactics and strategy in game.  If he can address that correctly, and he already has a head start by admitting it, then I have a little hope here.

Can't say enough, though, about the craziness of the hire.  I do love that.

And this is where any comparison to Ted Nolan violently departs. I’m not sure Ted Nolan could power a potato clock. He didn’t know what he didn’t know. Ralph appears to be aware and comfortable in his deficiencies and seeks to fill that void - not dismiss them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sabills said:

I'll bet money on the Sabres hiring an analytics guy before the season starts. Its huge in soccer(not to mention economics), and a guy like Kruger shouldn't want to miss a trick.

Ryan Stimson would be a good option IMPO. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, sabills said:

I'll bet money on the Sabres hiring an analytics guy before the season starts. Its huge in soccer(not to mention economics), and a guy like Kruger shouldn't want to miss a trick.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ryan Stimson would be a good option IMPO. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, freester said:

The tank was not the problem it is the incompetent GMs and coaches that have lead us here.  Unfortunately Botteril is still here.  I expect RK to do a great job but if Bots doesn't get him quaity players it won't matter.  I also expect RK to move up to either GM or director of hockey ops in the near future. 

Yes, it was...losing on purpose is never good

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It’s not random.  

I recall many, myself included, acknowledging that the tank could very well start us down the path to becoming the Oilers, but it was a chance we were more than willing to take. Of course there are dozens of other variables to consider outside of the tank itself but I digress...

The tank appealed to me because it was an outside the box strategy for the Sabres that hadn't been tried before. If it flushed the franchise down the toilet for a decade then so be it. I liked the tank for the same reasons I like this hire: Different, outside the box thinking that hopefully shakes things up and starts moving things in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Man - fu*k it. Having watched that. LET'S FOOKIN' GO. LET'S GO.

I've touched on this before. If you're a sports fan, I don't see the point of having a substantially different perspective on the matter. Might he fail? Sure. The odds are in favour of it.

But watch that clip and tell me that that's not the kind of person you want leading your favourite team. Why not have hope when anything is possible. Am I sucker who was born just this very minute? Yeah, maybe. 

LET'S GO.

happy kid GIF by AT&T

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.