Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

That quote from Something About Mary came to mind.

I know, but now that you mention the movie specifically, my day is ruined.  For whatever reason, the first line that always pops into my head is "we've got a bleeder".  See, this is the kind of thing that happens when we talk about such highly important things as the coaches nickname.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, nucci said:

Hockey and football are different. You can get 2-3 good to great football players in the draft to start and contribute as rookies. Hard to do that in hockey. You can't tear a hockey team to nothing and expect to build it back with talent and depth quickly....

Yeah but there is also a mentality the bills have regarding FA acquisitions that impresses me. Finding players that have something to prove and are great locker room guys. Team 1st guys... that's what is separating the Bills return form the Sabres return at this junction. Not aging vets riding out bloated contracts that obviously don't want to be here. which is what the Sabres have done in regards to the RoR trade, or the cap stealing contracts of Molson and Okposo.

Many of the contracts on the Bills can be jettison in a year or 2 with limited cap hits. 

22 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Yeah but there is also a mentality the bills have regarding FA acquisitions that impresses me. Finding players that have something to prove and are great locker room guys. Team 1st guys... that's what is separating the Bills return form the Sabres return at this junction. Not aging vets riding out bloated contracts that obviously don't want to be here. which is what the Sabres have done in regards to the RoR trade, or the cap stealing contracts of Molson and Okposo.

Many of the contracts on the Bills can be jettison in a year or 2 with limited cap hits.

I'm sorry but the number of quality UFA players in the NHL compared to the NFL is like 5%. There are just hardly any good UFA's each year. This year is probably the best we have seen in years. There simply are not UFA options like the NFL and due to the age stuff in the NHL, UFA's are older. 

Do a preliminary look... if you take the top UFA's delete the guys over 31. You get about 16 players that I would argue are of value. These guys have ok to good ppg. Looking over that list there are probably 4-6 guys that simply are not coming here. They want other cities or they want to stay where they are. Stuff like that. That brings us to 10 guys. We have 10 guys that could help the team. That's what we have to work with. Versus football, there might be 10 guys at 1 position who could help your team. Outside of QB, you can literally find almost everything. 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm sorry but the number of quality UFA players in the NHL compared to the NFL is like 5%. There are just hardly any good UFA's each year. This year is probably the best we have seen in years. There simply are not UFA options like the NFL and due to the age stuff in the NHL, UFA's are older. 

That and the under-performing guy sticks out a bit more on a hockey team due to the fact that the roster is half the size and there are half as many guys on the playing surface at a time, compared to football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.