Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

So, is it RKru? RKRU?

I think the former, but don't worry, it'll settle in.

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Rex Ryan would have gotten ***** faced and plowed through 50 chicken wings. Rex is a mental midget compared to RKru.  Rex was a good ol boy who used favoritism and gimmicky defensive schemes to blunder his was to success. 

I don't think Ralph resembles Rex in any way whatsoever. 

Yeah, you're probably right.

I want to believe, but there have been so many beliefs in this team dashed on the rocks of reality.  I want to believe, but I can't yet.

9 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

How bout Falco.  It will be great when Vanek scores. 

You think they sign Vanek?  I'm all for bringing in a few vets, but he's at best a 20 goal scorer.

Reading more about Krueger, I like is outlook and approach.  I just hope in translates to team success.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Boston started their season with 4/6 D injured, sure we could manage to ?

They did.  And Botterill apparently indicated that the injuries won't affect his trade plans this off-season.

Just not convinced that entering the season minus Ristolainen, Montour, Pilut, & Bogosian (plus whomever inevitably gets injured in September) to land 1 piece of that 2nd line is the way to go when a little bit of extra cash (which could be offset the following year by using a compliance buyout on Okposo) could bring in essentially the same quality of player (though a smudge older) & leave the blue line more intact to start.  It would also leave the powder dry should Botterill want to make an in-season hockey trade.

Prior to all the injuries, I was all in on filling out the top 6 with Skinner, a UFA, & a trade.  Now Skinner & 2UFAs are looking better IMHO.  Should Montour 's injury not be serious, might switch back on the preferred way to fix the Fs.

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It appears from reading the comments section of this article he was not loved by the fans of the team he helped restore to profitability.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No but it makes a lot of sense. I keep wondering the same thing about Pilut. I know he is injured now but was there another injury or was it confidence when he suddenly got bad after being sat for Scandella. 

Not picking on you, more of a general observation on fandom, but why is it that Pilut folds after 10 good games and “something must be bothering him,” and Scandella folds after five good years and “he’s terrible.”

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It appears from reading the comments section of this article he was not loved by the fans of the team he helped restore to profitability.

This is a very dim view of his tenure at Southampton:

https://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2019/4/18/18485526/saints-opinion-assessing-ralph-kruegers-legacy-as-southampton-chairman-feature

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So I just listened to his interview with Schopp and Bulldog from this afternoon.

I really liked him.

And I freaking love the fact that before he took the job, he went to a few bars incognito, watched the playoffs and talked hockey with whoever was around.

Go Sabres. 

Remember what Marv said about listening to the fans? I'm a little frustrated that nobody has bothered to ask him what message he got from the fans (and least not in reporting that I've seen). It couldn't have been pretty.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

So, is it RKru? RKRU?

RaKru or bust!

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know how to feel about Korg. Since he isn't a true retread I like that. He also hasn't coached in the NHL or AHL or NA or Hockey for 4 years so that is something to be concerned about. I'll give him a season. If Botterill doesn't fix the roster it won't matter anyways. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Being totally naïve of English Football I came up with a slightly different take than what the author seems to paint.

Sounds like he was in charge when a Tom Galisano type owner was trying to sell and it was purchased  by a Regas's type. To me RK's biggest mistake was thinking he had what it took and accepted the job. No one survives that unscathed.  It's also why I have respect for Reiger, he was not the worlds best GM of hockey but he survived a time in this franchise's history that easily would have crushed many others.

The article just proves he's a human and makes mistakes in the eye's of sports fans.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't know how to feel about Korg. Since he isn't a true retread I like that. He also hasn't coached in the NHL or AHL or NA or Hockey for 4 years so that is something to be concerned about. I'll give him a season. If Botterill doesn't fix the roster it won't matter anyways. 

.  I feel the same.

We just don't have a second line that gets us to the play off bubble caliper team yet. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You think they sign Vanek?  I'm all for bringing in a few vets, but he's at best a 20 goal scorer.

Reading more about Krueger, I like is outlook and approach.  I just hope in translates to team success.

Before this announcement it was extremely low (<2%).  Apparently Vanek speaks highly of RK, so if you believe that we want a big shake up (which I do), and this team is going to move on from Girgs, Larson, Pommers, Vlad.  Then factor in Skinner signing is in question, and Tage clearly not qualified, it increases the odds to maybe 20%.    What was Vanek's cap hit last year?  $3M.  Safely assume it decreases to maybe $2.5M this year?  Not a bad bridge. Low risk, high reward.   And unlike the other UFA's (Hayes, Duchene, Simmons, Ferland, Zuccarello, etc) it would not require a long term contract.  I think it's entirely plausible they have 6 new forwards next season.  I pencil (not pen) in Olafsson and Nylander for two.  I assume that a second line Center is coming back for Risto.  I also assume one more UFA, maybe two if Skinner does not sign.   Still leaves at least one forward spot open. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

thor_korg.0.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

This is an interesting, risky hire which is likely to end Botterill's reign as GM sooner than later.

It could work fabulously, but I would say the odds are it will not.

Time will tell.

One thing keeps coming up: the notion that we are only now going to try the "softer, kinder, gentler" type of head coach because disciplinarians of the old school were not getting through to this new breed of player.

What about Housley?  He seemed very soft and totally a player's coach.  It seems like we have already tried the Krueger method and it didn't work.  Why is Housley getting lumped into the category of Old School guys like Ruff or Jacques Martin?

This will be Botterill's last kick at the coaching can; if/when this blows up, he and Krueger will go away at the same time. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Vanek's best days are clearly in the rear view mirror.

Not to mention he was a large part of the problems of this franchise which gave rise to the sell off and rebuild we are still trying to move beyond.

Guys like Vanek are a part of the team's past, definitely not its future.

15 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is an interesting, risky hire which is likely to end Botterill's reign as GM sooner than later.

It could work fabulously, but I would say the odds are it will not.

Time will tell.

One thing keeps coming up: the notion that we are only now going to try the "softer, kinder, gentler" type of head coach because disciplinarians of the old school were not getting through to this new breed of player.

What about Housley?  He seemed very soft and totally a player's coach.  It seems like we have already tried the Krueger method and it didn't work.  Why is Housley getting lumped into the category of Old School guys like Ruff or Jacques Martin?

This will be Botterill's last kick at the coaching can; if/when this blows up, he and Krueger will go away at the same time. 

Not to mention he was a large part of the problems of this franchise which gave rise to the sell off and rebuild we are still trying to move beyond.

Guys like Vanek are a part of the team's past, definitely not its future.

By “guys like Thomas Vanek” I certainly hope you don’t mean pure goal scores that’ll score more than 250 goals at a .42g/g rate. 

I do agree that Thomas Vanek doesn’t need a roster though. 

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

But if things remain status quo. I ask because a GM generally gets 2 coaching hires. If JB revamps the roster and we crash and burn under Krueger much the same way as Housley, does Botterill get a third swing at the coaching can in your view because he was so bold on this one. Just curious what you meant by not blaming Botterill for it, if it fails. 

Yes.  He took an unconventional approach and I don't want him to be "punished" for it.  (And there weren't exactly a lot of great candidates this year, either.)

• Like (+1) 1

Given Krueger's unconventional background, it's really difficult to tell how this might play out.  From what I have read about him, Krueger seems to be a progressive thinker that might connect well with today's players and the organization as a whole.  I've been trying to think of comparisons elsewhere in professional sports and the two that come to mind are Joe Maddon (Cubs manager who led them to first World Series title in a century plus) and Steve Kerr (who has led Golden State to multiple NBA championships).  Obviously, it's a big stretch to say that Krueger would have that kind of success, but he seems to be the same kind of personality as those other two guys and there's a chance it could be really successful.  It could also go down in flames (or is the term UP in flames?), but you have to give JB credit for taking a swing at it.

• Like (+1) 1

Who actually broke the Edmonton Oilers Department of Player Personnel and how Ralph Krueger could fix it: 9 Things

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/the-combination-of-ralph-krueger-and-keith-gretzky-would-transform-how-player-personnel-is-handed-in-the-oilers-organization-9-things

A thoughtful man with a gift to be able to inspire people and an ability to extract the best from talent, Krueger not only survived the indignity of being unceremoniously fired by the Edmonton Oilers via Skype in 2013. He moved on and thrived on a much bigger, high-stakes stage.

But now fate has caused the paths of the Edmonton Oilers and Ralph Kruger to once again cross. The club is hunting for someone to overhaul this shipwreck and get her tattered sails righted again. The man is looking to set his next course.

Could they end up on the very same voyage?

6. When Ralph Krueger took over as Head Coach from Tom Renney he removed former Assistant Coach Kelly Buchberger from the bench. Why? Because to Ralph, Buchberger was a constant negative influence. And that did not fit Kruger’s outlook or style at all. But apparently it fit MacTavish’s. Because when Krueger was fired and Dallas Eakins brought in, guess who was right back behind the bench soon after? Yep. Kelly Buchberger. That says something about how MacTavish views skill and how to handle it.

5. People in and outside of the dressing room at this time recall how between Eakins and Buchberger the atmosphere behind the Oilers bench went from sweet to sour. Players with offensive flair often found themselves beneath the heel of the coaching staff and their G.M. The casualties mounted. After his best season to date under Krueger (14-24-38 in 48 GP) Sam Gagner’s game fell off and he was finally dealt. Jordan Eberle’soffensive output plateaued. Young Nail Yakupov enjoyed most of his productive time as an Edmonton Oiler under the tutelage of Krueger but circled the drain with Dallas Eakins & Co. By the time Chiarelli arrived, Nail was damaged goods.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, inkman said:

Rex Ryan would have gotten ***** faced and plowed through 50 chicken wings. Rex is a mental midget compared to RKru.  Rex was a good ol boy who used favoritism and gimmicky defensive schemes to blunder his was to success. 

I don't think Ralph resembles Rex in any way whatsoever. 

That would be a good thing.

The die is cast and I hope RK can get these guys motivated to play to their potential this year and then go on from there.

Good Luck Ralph.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

They fired him via Skype?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Sounds like he was in charge when a Tom Galisano type owner was trying to sell and it was purchased  by a Regas's type. To me RK's biggest mistake was thinking he had what it took and accepted the job. No one survives that unscathed.  It's also why I have respect for Reiger, he was not the worlds best GM of hockey but he survived a time in this franchise's history that easily would have crushed many others.

I've had a similar thought.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

What about Housley?  He seemed very soft and totally a player's coach.  It seems like we have already tried the Krueger method and it didn't work.

I think you've got it wrong.  I don't see Krueger's style as anything like Housley's.  From what the articles say, Krueger makes the effort to get to know and engage his players, and then puts them into positions to succeed.  Housley seemed aloof, almost uninterested, and didn't use his players well at all, to be honest.  It was more about his process and getting his players to bend to his will, which failed miserably.  I think Krueger will have looser reins on the team and will allow the players to do what they do well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.