Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is obnoxious. Nothing like hearing someone say the reason the team sucks is because of their generation. What a load of garbage. 

You are only finding this "obnoxious" because you do not understand my point. To clarify, young players today (not just the Sabres) are different than 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. They make far more money without even proving themselves, they have instant limelight, and they have much better mobility/free agency in their futures. As such, they are more independent and more powerful than they were in the past and are also harder to motivate. Old style coaches that demand and yell and bench etc. do not have the same level of power they used to. This isn't my idea, it's common knowledge. Even guys like Tortorella have learned this and mellowed/changed. He still yells at the refs and the media, but he is much different with his players than he used to be. 

So the point is, amid all this talk of old experienced coaches and disciplinarians, maybe hiring a coach that players like, one that knows how to talk to them on that level, maybe that is the actual better approach, and so if that's true, JBot is right to have gone that way.Having heard and read more, I think this might be a good hire, at least in theory. A (perhaps) risky, but bold and brave choice. 

Is that "obnoxious" enough for you?

So after more reading, and listening to interviews, I'm still jazzed about this guy.  He's SMART and a legit breath of fresh air as far as coaches go.  If there's iron in his words, this will be like the Dahlin pre-season excitement all over again for me. 

I fully expect Botterill to go after those UFAs mentioned many pages back who have proclaimed their love for Kruegs.  If this guy has that kind of cache, between that and the Pegulas' checkbook, it shouldn't be difficult to lure one or two of them.  

Edited by ...
your mom
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Not to derail the thread, but:

"I think you can always get better," said Eichel, who has 259 points (101 goals, 158 assists) in 286 NHL games. "At Christmas break I was really rolling and I was in a good spot and I think I got a little dinged up in the second half and it slowed me down a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't keep pace the exact same I wanted to. For me, it's just trying to get healthy and try to be consistent every night as much as possible and do whatever I can to help our team win games."

Did we know this after the season was over?

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Hayes and Zuccarello.  Make it happen, JBot.

Pretty sure I'd prefer 1 of those slots be filled via trade rather than both via FA.  But the Bogosian injury (& Pilut & possibly Montour) changes the calculus on what 1 of those would cost in a trade (relative to what the Sabres would end up still having available on the blue line for the 1st month or 2 of the season) makes the overpayment (hopefully just slight if they want to play for Krueger) of 2 FAs more palatable.

So that works.

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

A "smidge" only because roster construction is paramount, I'm guessing.

I agree though, and it's why I think "playoff bubble" is what Botterill needs to achieve rather than playoffs - full stop. 

I still think it's wonky that their stated expectation is not playoffs. To me that needs to be the goal at this juncture. Over half the league makes the playoffs, "in the discussion" is like, what, top 20-22 teams? Big deal. Way to demand a high standard, JB.

Is the consensus around here still that playoffs should be the goal next season? (Not talking Botterill's job being in the balance on that). That's what it seemed to be at season's end.

Absolutely, playoffs should be the goal (I'd go 1 further & say 2nd round should be the goal), but can't say that I take particular issue with soft selling expectations at this particular moment with up to 3 D unavailable to start the season & no knowledge of how June & July will play out yet.

And anything more than about 4 points out of the playoffs will IMHO be a disaster next year barring significant injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ... said:

"I think you can always get better," said Eichel, who has 259 points (101 goals, 158 assists) in 286 NHL games. "At Christmas break I was really rolling and I was in a good spot and I think I got a little dinged up in the second half and it slowed me down a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't keep pace the exact same I wanted to. For me, it's just trying to get healthy and try to be consistent every night as much as possible and do whatever I can to help our team win games."

Didn't we know that when it was happening?  He clearly took a step back after the (presumed) concussion he suffered.  (If that wasn't the intent of the Q, then nevermind.)

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely, playoffs should be the goal (I'd go 1 further & say 2nd round should be the goal), but can't say that I take particular issue with soft selling expectations at this particular moment with up to 3 D unavailable to start the season & no knowledge of how June & July will play out yet.

And anything more than about 4 points out of the playoffs will IMHO be a disaster next year barring significant injuries.

Thankfully early indications are Montour's injury is not long-term. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beer said:

Kru Tang Clan aint nuttin' to f' wit

Have you watched 'Of mics and men" yet?  It's some shoalin *****.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

So I just listened to his interview with Schopp and Bulldog from this afternoon.

I really liked him.

And I freaking love the fact that before he took the job, he went to a few bars incognito, watched the playoffs and talked hockey with whoever was around.

Go Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So I just listened to his interview with Schopp and Bulldog from this afternoon.

I really liked him.

And I freaking love the fact that before he took the job, he went to a few bars incognito, watched the playoffs and talked hockey with whoever was around.

Go Sabres. 

Nice to see ya come around ?

• Like (+1) 1

I wanted Tippett, he seemed like a safe bet.

This is a swing for the fences and the more I get to know about RK the more I am impressed. He is passionate about coaching and if he follows through on surrounding himself with people who are better than him at different aspects of the game, we may see a lot of improvement.

I will root for these guys no matter what, it just feels better than yesterday with a fresh infusion of optimism.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

We shouldn’t kid ourselves— this could easily crash and burn.  But for now @French Collection is dead on about the fresh infusion of optimism.  

This is never not the case. If there was a proven formula in anything, it would be followed or the sure thing would be chosen. 

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

We shouldn’t kid ourselves— this could easily crash and burn.  But for now @French Collection is dead on about the fresh infusion of optimism.  

It is more than likely the players feel as beaten and as pessimistic as the fanbase.

When I listen to Krueger I feel hopeful. I don’t think it’s too much to expect that he can make his players feel the same way.

We have some talent. Maybe a little bit of hope can go a long way.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, ... said:

Isn’t everyone ‘dinged’ up? Including us at the second half of the season? 

At least he owned it...

still thinkin ‘bout renewin’

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure I'd prefer 1 of those slots be filled via trade rather than both via FA.  But the Bogosian injury (& Pilut & possibly Montour) changes the calculus on what 1 of those would cost in a trade (relative to what the Sabres would end up still having available on the blue line for the 1st month or 2 of the season) makes the overpayment (hopefully just slight if they want to play for Krueger) of 2 FAs more palatable.

So that works.

Boston started their season with 4/6 D injured, sure we could manage to ?

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Boston started their season with 4/6 D injured, sure we could manage to ?

Exactly, if we are worried that the season gets derailed because Bogo (always injured) and a guy who was not even ready for the NHL last year might miss some games.....this team would be DOA

12 hours ago, ... said:

No but it makes a lot of sense. I keep wondering the same thing about Pilut. I know he is injured now but was there another injury or was it confidence when he suddenly got bad after being sat for Scandella. 

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

I'd like to see Jack put together a healthy season. 

Players who play all 82 games plus a couple preseason, is a rarity. The majority of players miss 1-5 games a season due to small injuries/dings. I’ll be glad if Jack doesn’t have long term injuries. If he plays 78-80 games ... great!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.