Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Once Krueger retires after winning multiple Cups?  Sure.

Nice. Let's hope. But I was legitimately asking, in case there was confusion.

Should that situation arise. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Nice. Let's hope. But I was legitimately asking, in case there was confusion.

Should that situation arise. 

It's a bit of a loaded question though.  There are any number of reasonable reasons for another coaching search to begin.  But yeah, in that quick failure scenario you're suggesting, Botterill is out the door along with him.

Just now, shrader said:

It's a bit of a loaded question though.  There are any number of reasonable reasons for another coaching search to begin.  But yeah, in that quick failure scenario you're suggesting, Botterill is out the door along with him.

Right, I should have been more specific. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

What exactly are we doing here?  I can't tell if you're trying to be helpful, a smart ass, or something else.  Below is the whole exchange in this thread, which suggests that they were indeed asking about signing him as opposed to what Krueger's impact on him was.  That's all based on the response from @Brawndo though.  Maybe he can chime in on what the question actually was.

I'm really not trying to be a pain here.  But as someone who didn't hear a second of the interview, this Bove tweet is an odd one that says absolutely nothing.  This is where character limits fail us.

The reporter had a Russian Accent and asked  how he felt about Yapukov and being he was an UFA would he be interested in signing him in Buffalo. RK responded he was one of leading scorers and had a good season with him. He answered the second question with the Sabres Player Personnel Dept would have to look at him in Free Agency and make a decision on him. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ... said:

This could very well be the long-term plan.  As others here have suggested, he could "right the ship" for two or three years, then move into a POHO role, forming the triangle with JBott and whomever the new coach would be.  That would mean they're going to be scouting coaches together throughout the season. I think what could help verify this plan would be whether JBott travels with the team more frequently next season.

Isn't the President of Hockey Operations role Botterill's boss? Did he just hire his own future boss? Do you need to have a flat management structure for that to work?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Still reading through the thread. I find it interesting that Botterill stated the expectations going into last season were playoffs, and now this season it’s to be “in the discussion” for playoffs. 

Less bold. 

Would expect some of that expectation tempering to be due to a likely slow start as the team finds its way under Krueger's direction.

Housley's 2nd year had enough players knowing what was expected that they were on a 100 point pace exactly half way through the season.

Even if Krueger is all that, the team probably won't quite be there unless Botterill does get a full 2nd line's worth of unsigned players.  But there isn't any reasonable scenario where they can't pick up at least 40 (or better yet/realistically 50 points) down the stretch.  How far below 48 points though 40 games they sit will let us know whether bubble or solid playoffs is the goal.

Just now, Taro T said:

Would expect some of that expectation tempering to be due to a likely slow start as the team finds its way under Krueger's direction.

Housley's 2nd year had enough players knowing what was expected that they were on a 100 point pace exactly half way through the season.

Even if Krueger is all that, the team probably won't quite be there unless Botterill does get a full 2nd line's worth of unsigned players.  But there isn't any reasonable scenario where they can't pick up at least 40 (or better yet/realistically 50 points) down the stretch.  How far below 48 points though 40 games they sit will let us know whether bubble or solid playoffs is the goal.

I don't think Botterill should be allowed or deserves the luxury of that being an acceptable outcome. 

So I think the second bolded is a must for him. 

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Depending on what he does with the roster, of course.

But if things remain status quo. I ask because a GM generally gets 2 coaching hires. If JB revamps the roster and we crash and burn under Krueger much the same way as Housley, does Botterill get a third swing at the coaching can in your view because he was so bold on this one. Just curious what you meant by not blaming Botterill for it, if it fails. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't think Botterill should be allowed or deserves the luxury of that being an acceptable outcome. 

So I think the second bolded is a must for him. 

Both of these are fair.

I'm curious though how much say Botterill had in picking Housley.  Because Housley sure as #### seemed to be a Russ Brandon special.  IF this is Borrerill's 1st true kick at the can, he gets a smidge more leeway IMHO.

But Botterill doesn't get points for trying if he doesn't bring in a 2nd line.  (And that's w/ throwing him a bone which assumes Skinner is 1 of those 3.  So he only needs a C & RW as he already would have Skinner/Olofsson.)

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Both of these are fair.

I'm curious though how much say Botterill had in picking Housley.  Because Housley sure as #### seemed to be a Russ Brandon special.  IF this is Borrerill's 1st true kick at the can, he gets a smidge more leeway IMHO.

But Botterill doesn't get points for trying if he doesn't bring in a 2nd line.  (And that's w/ throwing him a bone which assumes Skinner is 1 of those 3.  So he only needs a C & RW as he already would have Skinner/Olofsson.)

A "smidge" only because roster construction is paramount, I'm guessing.

I agree though, and it's why I think "playoff bubble" is what Botterill needs to achieve rather than playoffs - full stop. 

I still think it's wonky that their stated expectation is not playoffs. To me that needs to be the goal at this juncture. Over half the league makes the playoffs, "in the discussion" is like, what, top 20-22 teams? Big deal. Way to demand a high standard, JB.

Is the consensus around here still that playoffs should be the goal next season? (Not talking Botterill's job being in the balance on that). That's what it seemed to be at season's end.

Edited by Thorny

This sounds like RaKru was playing a Kim role, as @dudacek suggested.

His remit was to balance the books and turn the club into a profitable company which is something that he was able to achieve over a five-year period.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17641024.former-southampton-chairman-ralph-krueger-returns-to-the-nhl/

8 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

The XM NHL guys stated this AM that JBot's Dad and Krueger are buddies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Botterill  I didn't know Jbot's family includes PHD + Harvard, impressive.

The brainy side of the old boys club perhaps.

Yep.  See my post wherever that thread is.  Cal Botterill was a hockey coach and teacher of Ralph Krueger.

3 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

Another interesting quotation: "I don't wear tuques to the rink because I like to channel my inner Jean-Luc Picard".

Ich trage keine Hüte zur Eisbahn, weil ich meinen inneren Jean-Luc Picard gerne kanalisieren möchte.

Nice.  Star Trek builds character.

That "we ***** up" article from the Edmonton Journal was eye opening.  They buried Krueger at the time, only to realize in the next years with Eakins how bad the roster was at the time, and now go just short of offering an apology to Krueger.  Good read.  Paints an entirely different picture of the one-and-done season and really thrashes MacT.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

He literally went to Buffalo bars and chatted up random fans about the team. That's... something. 

That's... something that Rex Ryan would have done.  This guy might be a coaching genius but so far all I see is a guy who talks a good game.  Here's hoping he can back it up.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Given the context & who Nail Yakupov is, i imagine it had to do with how Krueger was able to help Yakupov improve as a player & get the most out of him. I believe Yakupov was a .6 ppg player under RK & around .3ppg everywhere else.

Maybe he can make nylander a serviceable player?

• Like (+1) 2

Haven't read through the whole thread.  Forgive if this has been stated ad nauseum.

I guess we got the Chinese menu coach.  A little from A and a little from B.  Been a head coach, not long enough to be a retread.  And is an outside of the box pick.  So everyone is happy, right?

My one and only take, King Jack has needed a strong leader in this organization cuz he's a big personality and he needs an even bigger one to keep his ass motivated for more than the first 40 games.  Maybe Chris Farley the motivational speaker coach is what Jack needs to keep him focused for 96 games (see what I did there?). 

I sure hope it works.  I hate being apathetic every damned season.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Haven't read through the whole thread.  Forgive if this has been stated ad nauseum.

I guess we got the Chinese menu coach.  A little from A and a little from B.  Been a head coach, not long enough to be a retread.  And is an outside of the box pick.  So everyone is happy, right?

My one and only take, King Jack has needed a strong leader in this organization cuz he's a big personality and he needs an even bigger one to keep his ass motivated for more than the first 40 games.  Maybe Chris Farley the motivational speaker coach is what Jack needs to keep him focused for 96 games (see what I did there?). 

I sure hope it works.  I hate being apathetic every damned season.

So with the Sabres up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals, what do you want to have happen for the rest of the series?

New merged post:

If we assume for a moment that Ralph is not a feather in the wind and that he has some staying power here, I think the question should be asked if Jason is actually smart enough for him?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That's... something that Rex Ryan would have done.  This guy might be a coaching genius but so far all I see is a guy who talks a good game.  Here's hoping he can back it up.

Rex Ryan would have gotten ***** faced and plowed through 50 chicken wings. Rex is a mental midget compared to RKru.  Rex was a good ol boy who used favoritism and gimmicky defensive schemes to blunder his was to success. 

I don't think Ralph resembles Rex in any way whatsoever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

So with the Sabres up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals, what do you want to have happen for the rest of the series?

New merged post:

If we assume for a moment that Ralph is not a feather in the wind and that he has some staying power here, I think the question should be asked if Jason is actually smart enough for him?

I’m pretty sure that Jason with his MBA, sports psychologist academic dad and Harvard sister is used to being around smarter people than 90 per cent of those who make up the hockey world.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m pretty sure that Jason with his MBA, sports psychologist academic dad and Harvard sister is used to being around smarter people than 90 per cent of those who make up the hockey world.

Well, I’m talking about Ralph specifically and the situation from his perspective, not Jason’s. 

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

Well, I’m talking about Ralph specifically and the situation from his perspective, not Jason’s. 

All I know is he says Jason stoked his fire.

And not even Mrs. Botterill says that much any more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.