Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

RK this team is not in a rebuild, we are ready to take the next step in competitiveness.

He watched playoff games in Buffalo Bars and talked with patrons about the Sabres were he got a feel for the passion of the fans. 

I'll have to watch the interview after work, but I LOVE THIS.  Love that he came here to stalk us.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eman said:

Exactly, and if so, why hasn't some other club noticed this and snatched him up way before the Sabres?

Because Cal Botterill (Jason's father) was his 5th grade teacher, so JBot has been aware of Krueger for a long, long time.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

On the other, you leave an awful lot of good candidates (whether it be coaches or draftees or whatever) on the outside when they don't come through the preferred vetting process/ channel.

From all accounts, he did his due diligence (7 interviews I believe?).  The question is:  Did each interviewee receive full consideration or was JBot simply going through the motions assuming Krueger was his guy?  Did he actually consider them as them as potentially knocking off his first preference?

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Botterill said that despite the dad/teacher thing he did not have a relationship with Krueger.

His first real conversations came at the suggestion of Jim Rutherford as Jason was searching for his first coach shortly after taking over the Sabres.

But not having a "relationship" with him doesn't mean he hadn't been high on his radar for a long time.  When one only has a single degree of separation from someone else, especially when that someone else ends up successful, there are a couple of things that cause them to know more about them:

1. Though they won't have a "scrap book" on that person, they'll follow how they're doing/progressing more than they would somebody with no natural ties; and

2. That 1st person will have people they trust that do know the other personally and they'll have a better feel (or believe they have a better feel) for that person than they would not having that direct source.

It very well could've been Rutherford that 1st suggested Krueger to Botterill, but you can't convince me he didn't talk to his dad and others that he knew that grew up with him to have more "insight" into him.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

From all accounts, he did his due diligence (7 interviews I believe?).  The question is:  Did each interviewee receive full consideration or was JBot simply going through the motions assuming Krueger was his guy?  Did he actually consider them as them as potentially knocking off his first preference?

No data.

But knowing there was at least 1 guy that Botterill WANTED makes canning Housley far less scapegoat-ish.

Don't know how this'll pan out, but by simply not being Housley's team, they should be at least 10 points better.  If Krueger is actually good at this still, they should be at worst on the bubble.  Let's hope he's very good.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, WildCard said:

First tweet:  So apparently JBot can be very persuasive.  Hard to imagine based on his pressers.

Second tweet:  So when he gets a real management role, he's gone.  (Possibly to the Sabres front office.)

1 minute ago, Patty16 said:

Freddy

I'll allow it.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Second tweet:  So when he gets a real management role, he's gone.  (Possibly to the Sabres front office.)

This could very well be the long-term plan.  As others here have suggested, he could "right the ship" for two or three years, then move into a POHO role, forming the triangle with JBott and whomever the new coach would be.  That would mean they're going to be scouting coaches together throughout the season. I think what could help verify this plan would be whether JBott travels with the team more frequently next season.

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.