Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

1 hour ago, sabills said:

Of all the stuff about Krueger that's interesting, this quote from Vanek in this Athletic piece has me the most excited:

To me, thats a hallmark of what I want out of a headcoach, in almost any sport. Your job, really, is management. You should have an idea of the type of team you want to run, then go out and find experts in running that team and hire them. You have influence and make the final decisions, but you shouldn't be out there calling lines or calling plays. Hire the smartest people, listen to them, and be able to 1)interpret and use the information they give you correctly and 2) communicate efficiently and effectively what you want to the coaches and players.

This is the stuff Bill Belichick does...coach your people up, let them know exactly what you expect out of them and then let them do their job, support them fully in any way you can but hold them accountable.  This is what people want in a boss...even if they don't get the job done and end up getting fired they will hold their boss in high regard because they will know it was their fault they got fired, nobody else's and he did everything he could to help them succeed.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'd have preferred Keefe, but I'm pretty excited. He's just a super interesting hire and infinitely preferable to any normal retread. Dare I say it's an inspired hire. That doesn't mean it'll work, of course, and he could end up being a jack of all trades master of none type person (or worse). But it's easy to get excited about a guy who has had some success in pretty dramatically different positions. 

Hopefully we can hire him next year when Botterill gets fired and the new GM wants his own coach.

I might have some faith in Krueger if I had even the slightest bit of faith in Botterill, but I don't.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we should be optimistic about the RK hire.  The problem is Botteril has put together a horrendous roster and I don't expect substantial talent acquisition any time soon.  It will be hard to judge  RK with this poor roster but I expect an improvement from last year.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SDS said:

Given that your gut thinks he was coaching soccer, your gut is woefully uninformed. 

Not coaching it, but he was Chairman of the Southampton Football Club in England was he not? I was just reading the British soccer page and its there. WGR was not joking.

21 minutes ago, ... said:

"Positive" is a relative term. He did not say they were all staring at a long off-season.  He didn't say they were all slackers that get paid a lot to perform better.  He pointed out that they had a goal and that to meet that goal and take control of their destiny was dependent on choice - and eliminated the losing choice as an option.  

But did they win that game?

10 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

A soccer coach...great. ?

I guess Bill Parcells and Phil Jackson were busy.

For about 25 of the past 30 years he has earned his living coaching hockey.

He is also a best-selling author, a motivational speaker, a World Economic Forum expert on organizational leadership and the former chairman of English Premier League soccer club.

To the best of my knowledge he has never coached soccer.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eman said:

Not coaching it, but he was Chairman of the Southampton Football Club in England was he not? I was just reading the British soccer page and its there. WGR was not joking.

Correct! He was chairman there. Which is sort of like a President of Hockey Operations or something similar.

• Like (+1) 1

Botteril has put his entire career on the line with this hire so he obviously must have faith in him. Personally, the only guy (Coach and GM) between the Bills and the Sabres that I think is a rock-star is Beane. McDermott is growing on me but we will see. Past Sabres coaches and GMs have been a mess and if this team does not compete for 8th spot all year round, Botteril is as good as gone.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, sabills said:

Correct! He was chairman there. Which is sort of like a President of Hockey Operations or something similar.

Well, here's hoping he is one successful "renaissance man"! We need this more than ever! I'm not hoping for the World, just make us competitive and improved in year one, that is all I want to see. I want to see us seriously headed in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eman said:

Well, here's hoping he is one successful "renaissance man"! We need this more than ever! I'm not hoping for the World, just make us competitive and improved in year one, that is all I want to see. I want to see us seriously headed in the right direction.

This is a gamble, no doubt. But its a damn interesting one at least.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.