Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

36 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

His background sounds 180 degrees different from Housley's "duh" persona, so I'll take this ride.  Also, having a coach with a European background should be a plus with all the European players we have now and in the pipeline.

I think this about where I'm at.  I was against the hire before it was announced; this guys sounds like someone on a late-night cable channel self-help motivational infomercial. 

However, my general impression of FHCPH was that he was too reserved, so reserved that the players almost fell asleep on the bench.  Maybe an infomercial motivator is what we need.  Plus yeah, he should understand the Eurotrash better than XHCPH.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

@IKnowPhysics posted about timelines: Krueger’s abrupt resignation and how it dovetailed with McLellan being out.

I watched a Southampton talker where a couple of Brits were puzzled by the timing of the resignation and how their best explanation was that a new opportunity had suddenly opened up for him.

Couple with the fact that Botterill had clear interest in Krueger before and it becomes clearer that this was not a late choice, but someone very much on the radar from the get-go.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Gives me a whole new impression of Botterill.

Nothing safe or boring here.

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I would rather make this gamble then a retread.

This JBott...  he's a card player, gambler, scum. You'd like him.

As long as he puts together a staff that makes sense, reinvigorates the power play, oh --- and the team wins....  We're good.

image.png

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

@IKnowPhysics posted about timelines: Krueger’s abrupt resignation and how it dovetailed with McLellan being out.

From the other (now locked) thread:

Also, the timing suggests Botterill has been high on Krueger.

• 2017: Botterill "wanted to talk to" Ralph Krueger.  Unknown if he ever did before hiring Phil Housley.
  • April 1: LeBrun publishes an article in the Athletic sugggesting Ralph Krueger may be interested in an NHL job.
  • April 9th: Todd McLellan arrives in Buffalo to watch NCAA Frozen Four and interview with Jason Botterill.
  • April 12th 2:00am: Southampton announces Ralph Krueger stepping down, deliberately and earlier than his contract end date in June.
  • April 12th 11:27am: Bob McKenzie reports Botterill did not offer McLellan a contract.
  • April 16th: LA Kings announce Todd McLellan hiring.

As soon as McLellan is decided to be out, Krueger leaves his job?  But Krueger leaves before McLellan is announced out- and one day before a Southampton match.

Conspiracy speculation:

I think Steve Smith or Jason Botterill informed Krueger they wanted to talk as soon as McLellan was out of the picture, and this happened before Bob McKenzie learns McLellan is out.

So if Housley was Pegula's call, then the failure of the last couple years actually gives JBot more incentive to go off in a totally different direction.  If there was any contact previously and Krueger knew he was on the Sabres, or for that matter, any NHL radar, he might have wanted out of Southampton ASAP so it was clear he was available for an NHL gig.  McLellan may well have been JBot's top prospect going into the interview the weekend of the Frozen Four, but when Krueger was suddenly available, all bets were off. 

I don't buy into @IKnowPhysics's conspiracy theory; I think it was the other way around- that McLellan was still the leading candidate, but when JBot found out Krueger was available he went balls deep for him.

Edited by Doohickie

I hate to say this but he sounds like Ted Nolan.  Motivator but not an X and O guy.  This teams real structure and real coach'em up coaching.  Motivation is not enough.  Who is going to provide the structure?  Who is going to make sure that Risto isn't overplayed and who is going to teach him how to pass to facilitate the breakout?  Not Krueger.

On second thought, my initial reaction of Meh! was wrong. This is a bad hire.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to say this but he sounds like Ted Nolan.  Motivator but not an X and O guy.  This means we need to find a Paul Maurice to run the x and o's. Meh!

We have one.  His name is Steve Smith.  They coached together in Edmonton.  Maybe the plan is to change the culture with Krueger who then moves to a high front office position, giving Smith the reins eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

We have one.  His name is Steve Smith.  They coached together in Edmonton.  Maybe the plan is to change the culture with Krueger who then moves to a high front office position, giving Smith the reins eventually.

I've edited my previous post.  This is a lousy hire.  Smith is supposed to be a D guy.  RIsto was a bad under him as he was prior.  The D, especially in the second half got worse as the season progressed.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I hope you're wrong.  But I can't say you are.

I'd love to be wrong.  We needed to find someone who could impact the roster like Trotz did in Washington and now w the NYI.  Instead we got Ted Nolan two.  I'm very disappointed.  If we were going to make a non-retread hire why not interview Sheldon Keefe, what more does this guy have to prove in the AHL to get a shot?  

• Like (+1) 2

I cannot decide if this is a bad hire designed to further pamper undeserved spoiled brats because JBot is afraid a tough demanding coach would make this bunch quit or a really good hire totally in step with the current generation so I suppose wait and see. 

Kind of hope we also hire some new assistants, including a Roger Nielson type for those X's and O's. 

otherwise I dunno, German engineering time. 

• Like (+1) 2

Team Canada used him to scout and game plan against the European teams on its way to gold in Sochi, he transformed the Oilers PP from one of the league’s worst to one of the league’s best, and his Swiss teams were a constant thorn against much more talented hockey powers. He’s not bereft of tactical knowledge.

That said, it’s not his forte and he will need to hire a staff that compensates. Fortunately in my reading tonight he referenced his most important role is creating situations where each individual can maximize his own strengths while at the same time complementing the strengths of others.

Him not hiring a balanced staff is not a big worry for me.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to say this but he sounds like Ted Nolan.  Motivator but not an X and O guy.  This teams real structure and real coach'em up coaching.  Motivation is not enough.  Who is going to provide the structure?  Who is going to make sure that Risto isn't overplayed and who is going to teach him how to pass to facilitate the breakout?  Not Krueger.

On second thought, my initial reaction of Meh! was wrong. This is a bad hire.

He's akin to Ted Nolan but seems far more sophisticated in his approach.

He'll need an Xs and Os guy but he certainly strikes me as someone who can at very least reverse this ever somber franchise. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.