Predictions

Taro T

I just got my copy of Hockey News' Yearbook yesterday (only 2 days after my fantasy draft) (Boo) and in it they predict the Sabres to finish in 13th in the conference. I don't see them being that bad. As I have posted before, I think the team will finish somewhere between 6th and 10th with 7th the most likely finish.

Seeing as how we are down to the final 15 days before the 04-05 (er, 05-06) season starts, I figured I'd post my very shaky picks.

Following are Hockey News' east conference predictions and mine. (I didn't post the west conference predictions because I have even less of a feel for who went where in the west.)

-------THN----------------------Dave

1.--Philadelphia--------------Philadelphia

2.--Tampa Bay---------------Ottawa

3.--Ottawa--------------------Tampa Bay

4.--Boston--------------------New Jersey

5.--New Jersey---------------Boston

6.--Pittsburgh----------------Atlanta

7.--Atlanta--------------------Buffalo

8.--Toronto-------------------Pittsburgh

9.--Florida--------------------Montreal

10.-Montreal------------------Isles

11.-Isles----------------------Florida

12.-Rangers------------------Toronto

13.-Buffalo--------------------Rangers

14.-Carolina------------------Washington

15.-Washington---------------Carolina

My pick of NJ in 2nd in their division is predicated on them not losing anyone key in the purge down to 39MM. If they have to give up a lot, I could see Boston and Atlanta passing them. (And MAYBE even the Sabres.)

Toronto could rise higher if their two broken pick ups Allison and Lindros play like they did before they got hurt and ol' "Bats in His" Belfour doesn't play like a 40 year old man. If not, they may be even worse than the Rangers.

I think it will be a good race for the last 3 playoff spots, as I think anyone I have ranked from 6-12 could make it into the last 3 places. It will depend upon how serious the league is in cracking down on obstruction.

If Hasek stays healthy, I think Ottawa will make it to the finals; if not, I'd expect to see TB make it back.

Sabres pick is based upon goaltending NOT costing them games perpetually during the 1st 3 months. I expect Biron to come out on top, but whoever does; I think he'll be ready for the season this year and NOT go into a 2-3 month long funk.

Just my thoughts. I'd be interested to see what others think.

Dave.

I just got my copy of Hockey News' Yearbook yesterday (only 2 days after my fantasy draft) (Boo) and in it they predict the Sabres to finish in 13th in the conference. I don't see them being that bad. As I have posted before, I think the team will finish somewhere between 6th and 10th with 7th the most likely finish.

Seeing as how we are down to the final 15 days before the 04-05 (er, 05-06) season starts, I figured I'd post my very shaky picks.

Following are Hockey News' east conference predictions and mine. (I didn't post the west conference predictions because I have even less of a feel for who went where in the west.)

My pick of NJ in 2nd in their division is predicated on them not losing anyone key in the purge down to 39MM. If they have to give up a lot, I could see Boston and Atlanta passing them. (And MAYBE even the Sabres.)

Toronto could rise higher if their two broken pick ups Allison and Lindros play like they did before they got hurt and ol' "Bats in His" Belfour doesn't play like a 40 year old man. If not, they may be even worse than the Rangers.

I think it will be a good race for the last 3 playoff spots, as I think anyone I have ranked from 6-12 could make it into the last 3 places. It will depend upon how serious the league is in cracking down on obstruction.

If Hasek stays healthy, I think Ottawa will make it to the finals; if not, I'd expect to see TB make it back.

Sabres pick is based upon goaltending NOT costing them games perpetually during the 1st 3 months. I expect Biron to come out on top, but whoever does; I think he'll be ready for the season this year and NOT go into a 2-3 month long funk.

Dave.

IMO they got Buffalo pegged just right. Look for Regier and Ruff to continue to mess up the goalies to a point were none of them are usefull. Their defense just plain sucks. It would have been nice to have some offense to help out Vanek. The kid will feel the pressure of being the Sabres only offensive option.

As far as #1. Heatley in Ottawa makes them #1.

I think Tampa will fall out without the goaltending.

I don't think the Pens will make it this year despite the moves.

The Islanders and Thrashers will be solid playoff teams. It's up to the goalies to determine how high they finish and how far they go.

With injuries it's hard to say at this point. It's all mostly a guessing game.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

IMO they got Buffalo pegged just right. Look for Regier and Ruff to continue to mess up the goalies to a point were none of them are usefull. Their defense just plain sucks. It would have been nice to have some offense to help out Vanek. The kid will feel the pressure of being the Sabres only offensive option.

As far as #1. Heatley in Ottawa makes them #1. 

I think Tampa will fall out without the goaltending.

I don't think the Pens will make it this year despite the moves.

The Islanders and Thrashers will be solid playoff teams. It's up to the goalies to determine how high they finish and how far they go.

With injuries it's hard to say at this point. It's all mostly a guessing game. 

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

As I mentioned, I think Ottawa goes to the Finals this year. I just expect Philly to have a better regular season than Ottawa. (I hope you're right about Heatley, he's on my fantasy team.)

TB may not go to the Finals this year (as in previous post, they are my pick if Ottawa doesn't get there), but I can't see any of Florida, Carolina, Washington, or Atlanta winning the division. Grahame was a good goalie in '03-'04. So good in fact that there were rumors TB was shopping Khabibulin at the trade deadline. They have a decent backup in Burke. They have a young, quick team that should excel if the league is serious about the obstruction crackdown.

I agree that Atlanta will make the playoffs this year, but don't expect them to catch TB. The Isles could squeeze Pittsburgh out but I think the acquisition of Thibault will squeeze Pittsburgh in. Without Thibault, I'd have had Pittsburgh below TO and above the Rangers. It'll definitely be an interesting last 2 weeks of the regular season this year.

Dave.

The only playoff locks seem to be:

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Ottawa

Boston

New Jersey

we'll be battling everyone else except the Rangers, Canes and Caps for the last 3 spots.

I agree that we're somewhere between 6-10 in the conference...Atlanta is weak in net and on the blueline, Pittsburgh is suspect on D and in net (plus, their FA acquisitions are all injury prone), Islanders are going to be "led" by Yashin & Satan (Peca must have laughed all the way to Edmonton), Toronto is banking on an ancient goalie and concussion/injury-prone forwards, and Florida is lacking firepower up front, plus who knows if Jacque Martin's system will work in the "new" NHL. Montreal seems to be the most balanced of our competitors for the final playoff spot(s).

Per usual, I expect us to be in the hunt right up to the last week of play - and a few lucky bounces of the puck will determine if we play on in April. Maybe we'll get a favorable draw and win a few first round games, which will give some the kids some much needed playoff experience.

The only playoff locks seem to be:

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Ottawa

Boston

New Jersey

we'll be battling everyone else except the Rangers, Canes and Caps for the last 3 spots.

I agree that we're somewhere between 6-10 in the conference...Atlanta is weak in net and on the blueline, Pittsburgh is suspect on D and in net (plus, their FA acquisitions are all injury prone), Islanders are going to be "led" by Yashin & Satan (Peca must have laughed all the way to Edmonton), Toronto is banking on an ancient goalie and concussion/injury-prone forwards, and Florida is lacking firepower up front, plus who knows if Jacque Martin's system will work in the "new" NHL. Montreal seems to be the most balanced of our competitors for the final playoff spot(s).

Per usual, I expect us to be in the hunt right up to the last week of play - and a few lucky bounces of the puck will determine if we play on in April. Maybe we'll get a favorable draw and win a few first round games, which will give some the kids some much needed playoff experience.

The Sabres can't touch the Thrashers up front. They have way more talent then the Sabres do. Until one Sabre goalie is given the job then they wil always have a ? in goal.

The Thrashers have the team that many Sabre fans try and pretend they have. Take a closer look at the teams and you will see they are not as close as you think they are.

Take a closer look.

The Sabres can't touch the Thrashers up front. They have way more talent then the Sabres do. Until one Sabre goalie is given the job then they wil always have a ? in goal.

The Thrashers have the team that many Sabre fans try and pretend they have. Take a closer look at the teams and you will see they are not as close as you think they are.

Take a closer look.

I wish we had players the caliber of Kovalchuk, Hossa and Holik -- but that's one great line -- Thrashers have little defense and very questionable goaltending (an injured rookie and Mike Dunham?!?).

Sabres, Penguins, Panthers and Thrashers will be the surprises of the east. Two of those teams will make the play-offs, the other two just miss.

Flyers, Senators, Bruins and Lightning make it for sure. Canadiens and Devils make it too.

Who's out? Leafs, Rangers, Islanders, Hurricanes.

In the west?

In: Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Sharks, Coyotes, Red Wings, Predators, Blue Jackets

Out: Wild, Blues(finally), Avalanche, Mighty Ducks, Stars, Black Hawks

Sabres, Penguins, Panthers and Thrashers will be the surprises of the east. Two of those teams will make the play-offs, the other two just miss.

Flyers, Senators, Bruins and Lightning make it for sure. Canadiens and Devils make it too.

In the west?

In: Flames, Oilers, Canucks, Sharks, Coyotes, Red Wings, Predators, Blue Jackets

Out west, I think the Kings and Ducks get in, I'd bump Phoenix and Columbus out. Had Datsyuk not signed, I think the Red Wings were on thin ice. With him, I see them being fairly solid.

Dave.

In the west?

I'm interested in why you would puy the Sabres in with the Panthers and Thrashers? The Thrashers have a ton of talent upfront and the Panthers have the stud goalie. How do they compare?

Other then the home town bonus points, I would like know. :huh:

-- Thrashers have little defense and very questionable goaltending (an injured rookie and Mike Dunham?!?).

You could replace Thrashers with Sabres in the second part of your post.

The Sabre D is nothing to write home about and they have just as big a ? in goal. The Sabres do have the bigger upside potential in goal if Regier&Ruff don't continue to mess it up.

I'm not actually from Buffalo, I'm closer to Calgary actually. But, I am a Sabres fan so perhaps there is some home-town bias.

I'm not sure what to expect from the Sabres, I think in the new NHL, speed will kill and I think the Sabres are going to be quick. My biggest question is whether they will be able to score, is this Vanek a true sniper? I don't think the Sabres will make the play-offs but I think it comes right down to the wire. Are'nt the thrashers even worse off in net than Buffalo?

Florida should be good, especially with Luongo, I think they make the play-offs, but has Jokinen signed yet?

The Leafs, who I love to hate have zippo after their big-name guys, they could make it if their 3rd and 4th lines don't get scored on every 3rd shift.

hmm the leafs look worse off then i thought but after reading your posts... i gotta say they are in bad shape and are gonna be hard pressed to make the playoffs... i will enjoy watching that organization crumble if they do... i live just outside the toronto area and the fan base here is huge for them...... i can't wait.

I'm not actually from Buffalo, I'm closer to Calgary actually. But, I am a Sabres fan so perhaps there is some home-town bias.

I'm not sure what to expect from the Sabres, I think in the new NHL, speed will kill and I think the Sabres are going to be quick. My biggest question is whether they will be able to score, is this Vanek a true sniper? I don't think the Sabres will make the play-offs but I think it comes right down to the wire. Are'nt the thrashers even worse off in net than Buffalo?

Florida should be good, especially with Luongo, I think they make the play-offs, but has Jokinen signed yet?

The Leafs, who I love to hate have zippo after their big-name guys, they could make it if their 3rd and 4th lines don't get scored on every 3rd shift.

Until the Sabres sort the mess in goal it's hard to give them the edge over anyone in goaltending.

The Thrashers have the edge at the top of roster. The Sabres have may have more balance on forwards 4-12.

I don't like the Sabres Defense at all. Kalinin is OK. I don't know were McKee's head will be. As far the rest? It's a toss up 3 through 8 on the blueline. You would hope the Sabres could put togeter a couple more blueliners likely through trades.

I'm not sure why. I think Stefan would be great in a Sabre uniform. He just seems liek one of those guys who will explode with a change of scenery. Maybe make a Deal involving Mikka? Mikka does nothing for you in the press box.

Dave.

I think they got it right and agree with their rankings for the most part.

Archived