Pilut Undergoes Shoulder Surgery -- Out 5-6 Months

Brawndo

Am I completely making things up or have I seen more of these long term surgeries around the league this offseason than normal?  It makes me wonder if teams/players are leaning a bit more towards procedures that might fall a bit closer to the "elective" label.

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

Am I completely making things up or have I seen more of these long term surgeries around the league this offseason than normal?  It makes me wonder if teams/players are leaning a bit more towards procedures that might fall a bit closer to the "elective" label.

Or it could be these guys are looking more long term health v recurring problems... not sure?

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think the Sabres have started going that route. Of course Bogo was injured for years and finally had corrective surgery to fix whatever it was and suddenly was a mildly useful defender. I think it is tempting to put a band-aid on a bullet hole with pro athletes. 

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

Not sure about league wide, but definitely seems that way w/ the Sabres which fits with the Pegulas stated philosophy for a tool to attract FA's to the Bills (so it seems appropo for the Sabres as well) namely, they state they want to do whatever they can to extend players' careers. 

With the Bills that includes an $18MM trying facility upgrade.  Perhaps w/ the Sabres it is fixing chronic type injuries that can be played through but with a deterioration in performance over time.  They take the hit in man games lost at the beginning of the season but theoretically get them back (and then some) via more total games played for the Sabres over a career & at a higher level longer when they do come back from surgery rehab.

I still expect that Pegulas will ultimately be good for this franchise, but they need to land on a quality FO to do so.  (Hopefully Botterill is that, though the jury is still out.). And they need to land on a consistent philosophy of what sort of team they will build.  Going from a Regier (skilled, W/ size but don't play large), to Murray (huge guys W/ a serious forehead Ala the LA Kings from ~7years ago), to Botterill (speed & possession) tends to cause assets to go out the door at a discount as they don't have the right guys to fit what they're trying to build.

Getting off track here, but really hope the next coach doesn't flame out like the last 2 or we'll be seeing the NEXT philosophical adjustment of the past 5 years & be back close to square 1.  (Not entirely at square 1 as Eichel & Dahlin can work in any system & there are a handful of others that can be built around as well.  The cupboard isn't full of only draft picks like Murray inherited.)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Plus 256 is about 10th the dose of a 64.  Can scan a whole body in just over a quarter of a second v mri can take an hour though you wouldnt want to do a whole body

I do a lot of whole body MRIs. They have limited clinical use, but do offer a nice overall view of bone/joint health. I don’t think a CT would be the appropriate test for a soft tissue injury, but I don’t have any knowledge of the specifics of Pilut’s injury. 

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Am I completely making things up or have I seen more of these long term surgeries around the league this offseason than normal?

I think it could be a combination of social media giving more exposure to players in the off-season combined with advances in medicine that make such surgeries more commonplace.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I do a lot of whole body MRIs. They have limited clinical use, but do offer a nice overall view of bone/joint health. I don’t think a CT would be the appropriate test for a soft tissue injury, but I don’t have any knowledge of the specifics of Pilut’s injury. 

For the newer CT units the imagery is amazing, almost MR level for soft tissue.  Older machines you are correct which is why I mentioned 256 slice

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Forget him, he's done. 

Shoulder injuries ruin d-men in hockey and an undersized guy like him with a bum shoulder, forget it. 

Hope for Borgen instead.

At this rate, they may need Will in the bigs. 

Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.