Friedman Says Ralph Kruger has a Legit Shot at Sabres HC Position

Tarosays

49 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think we want a cutting edge visionary leader of men with NHL experience, personality, tactical savvy, no closet skeletons and a tough but nurturing demeanour who has won everywhere he’s coached.

Why hasn’t Botterill hired that guy yet? ?

Semi-related, I just listened to Friedman’s bit from WGR yesterday. Sure sounds like if it’s not Krueger, Botterill has done a masterful job of hiding his intentions. Keefe likely staying in Toronto, Tippett a good bet to be going to Edmonton, Richards and Martin out, Boughner not seemingly in the picture...and people telling Elliotte after his 31 thoughts piece that talks with Krueger are a lot further along than he imagines.

And if it is, maybe he hasn't.

The first bit of the post is bit of a straw man. I don't need all of that, I just don't want the soccer guy who hasn't even been involved in hockey, never mind the NHL specifically, in a significant way in 7 years. 

Team Europe in a one off pony-show tournament is irrelevant to me. 

Combined with the "it's only a bridge coach for now" thinking popping up, it feels like "Ted Nolan 2.0, but this time we're not TRYING to lose!"

I think adding him in a front office capacity makes a lot of sense, that seems to be where he excels. 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And if it is, maybe he hasn't.

The first bit of the post is bit of a straw man. I don't need all of that, I just don't want the soccer guy. 

I think I do.

• Like (+1) 1

If it's Krueger, I'm ok with it, but I really want to know that Tippett was never possible.

And if I'm the Buffalo beat reporters, I'm grilling the ***** out of Botterill about selection criteria and why Krueger is a better fit than other candidates (Tippett).

Edited by IKnowPhysics

13 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

Apparently Friedman is on Sportsnet right now saying Krueger may sign as early as tomorrow. 

Yup, he says he thinks it gets done tomorrow, saw it on tv just now. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

They actually makes sense in terms of what we know about Krueger: he is coach in terms of setting the tone and being the buck stops here guy, while grooming a young associate coach to take over in a year or two when he moves upstairs into Kim Pegulas role, which he is immensely qualified for.

With Krueger, you are hiring him for his organizational leadership skills.

He actually talks about wanting to be in the centre of an organization where he hires people to do the jobs they are better at than he is.

You lost me at "Kim Pegula's role." She's not a hockey president. Are you suggesting that Krueger would be best suited to run the business side of things? I think you have your Pegulas mixed up.

I am suggesting Krueger appears qualified to run the business side of the Sabres.

Moot though, because it appears those that matter think he is eminently qualified to be our coach.

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

Apparently he worked with Steve Smith in Edmonton and perhaps Carolina. Smith would add a more recent NHL pedigree.

I would hope he hires a modern tactical wizard to be his third leg in the tripod. As much as I have pointed to his qualifications as a leader (my personal bias in this search) I was not advocating for him (or anyone) and have reservations about his tactical acumen.

Just now, darksabre said:

I will be stunned if Friedman actually has a scoop here 

I won’t be.

This is sure outside of the box.  This guy was involved in soccer for a number of years now?  His resume reads like the most interesting man on earth.  But can he coach in the NHL?  Sounds like a guy I would love to have a beer with.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Apparently he worked with Steve Smith in Edmonton and perhaps Carolina. Smith would add a more recent NHL pedigree.

I would hope he hires a modern tactical wizard to be his third leg in the tripod. As much as I have pointed to his qualifications as a leader (my personal bias in this search) I was not advocating for him (or anyone) and have reservations about his tactical acumen.

I won’t be.

Gotta get this in writing for when @SDS references all our original thoughts on the matter in two years.. ?

?

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

This is sure outside of the box.  This guy was involved in soccer for a number of years now?  His resume reads like the most interesting man on earth.  But can he coach in the NHL?  Sounds like a guy I would love to have a beer with.

He probably knows his beer as well, having spent many years near Oktoberfest HQ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Pierre Lebrun was on the Instigators and spoke very highly of Krueger and seemed to believe he would make a good choice. Sounds like he's very highly respected. If indeed he's the guy I'm okay with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Steve Smith was in Edmonton as an assistant coach 2010-14, through Ralph Krueger's tenure as assistant coach 2010-12 and head coach 2012-13.  Botterill wouldn't hire Krueger without a stellar recommendation from the only assistant coach he retained after firing Phil Housley.  I like where this is going.

• Like (+1) 2

Also, the timing suggests Botterill has been high on Krueger.

• 2017: Botterill "wanted to talk to" Ralph Krueger.  Unknown if he ever did before hiring Phil Housley.
  • April 1: LeBrun publishes an article in the Athletic sugggesting Ralph Krueger may be interested in an NHL job.
  • April 9th: Todd McLellan arrives in Buffalo to watch NCAA Frozen Four and interview with Jason Botterill.
  • April 12th 2:00am: Southampton announces Ralph Krueger stepping down, deliberately and earlier than his contract end date in June.
  • April 12th 11:27am: Bob McKenzie reports Botterill did not offer McLellan a contract.
  • April 16th: LA Kings announce Todd McLellan hiring.

As soon as McLellan is decided to be out, Krueger leaves his job?  But Krueger leaves before McLellan is announced out- and one day before a Southampton match.

Conspiracy speculation:

I think Steve Smith or Jason Botterill informed Krueger they wanted to talk as soon as McLellan was out of the picture, and this happened before Bob McKenzie learns McLellan is out.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

• SDS locked this topic