Friedman Says Ralph Kruger has a Legit Shot at Sabres HC Position

Tarosays

57 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Disagree.  Jack Eichel is a good example of that.  All kinds of ability, but he's definitely benefiting from experience.

Hogwash.

Sean McVay thinks otherwise.

You sound like the guy who has been at a place for 30 years and still is an assistant and is mad because the "new guy" who is 25 years younger and has only been there 2 years but has new ideas and new methods of doing things that actually work gets the job instead.

Edited by matter2003

Per my own research, Dr. Cal Botterill (Jason's father) graduated University of Winnipeg (with a bachelors) and was a teacher at St John's-Ravenscourt prep school in Winnipeg from 1970-1974 while he persued an MA, DipEd, and PhD ('77) before becoming a longtime professor at University of Alberta.  While at SJR, he taught Geography and Phys Ed in the Upper School (high school), and he was the only teacher listed for those subjects in the Upper School, and was coach of the senior hockey team.  Botterill was the teacher of Richardon House in the lower school in 1970-71 and was the coach of Playground B.

Ralph Krueger, son of German immigrants (his father was Dr. Karl H Krueger, a surgeon on the faculty of University of Manitoba)), grew up in Winnipeg and attended St Johns-Ravenscourt, where he played for the school hockey team as a center.  Ralph played Bantam Minor in '72-'73; that team was 15-0-0.  Her played Pee Wee A in '71-'72, and was the top scorer on the team.  Ralph was a student of Richardson House in 1970-71 and played Playground C.

Because of the small class sizes, and shared coaches among teams, it is likely that Cal Botterill (Jason Botterill's dad) was among Ralph Krueger's hockey coaches and was his school teacher.

Yearbook photos:

fOwjOwz.jpg

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Wild Gronberg has not been behind a bench for a full season in 14 years.

Kruger would be more likely to be willing to move into a President Of Hockey Ops or as President of the Sabres when Kim Pegula becomes Commissioner of the WNHL if another coaching candidate he deems as his successor becomes available.

He is also much more likely to revamp the Analytics Department and improve it to the level of Toronto. 

Friedman mentioned that his players all know what the exact responsibilities are on the ice, he also mentioned how he is a master at motivating players with positivity. Imagine Nolan with a much higher Hockey IQ. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Per my own research, Dr. Cal Botterill (Jason's father) graduated University of Winnipeg (with a bachelors) and was a teacher at St John's-Ravenscourt prep school in Winnipeg from 1970-1974 while he persued an MA, DipEd, and PhD ('77) before becoming a longtime professor at University of Alberta.  While at SJR, he taught Geography and Phys Ed in the Upper School (high school), and he was the only teacher listed for those subjects in the Upper School, and was coach of the senior hockey team.  Botterill was the teacher of Richardon House in the lower school in 1970-71 and was the coach of Playground B.

Ralph Krueger, son of German immigrants (his father was Dr. Karl H Krueger, a surgeon on the faculty of University of Manitoba)), grew up in Winnipeg and attended St Johns-Ravenscourt, where he played for the school hockey team as a center.  Ralph played Bantam Minor in '72-'73; that team was 15-0-0.  Her played Pee Wee A in '71-'72, and was the top scorer on the team.  Ralph was a student of Richardson House in 1970-71 and played Playground C.

Because of the small class sizes, and shared coaches among teams, it is likely that Cal Botterill (Jason Botterill's dad) was among Ralph Krueger's hockey coaches and was his school teacher.

Yearbook photos:

fOwjOwz.jpg

Impressive research

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I still think Keefe is our main target.

No way would he leave the Toronto system to come to Buffalo.

He's the heir apparent in TO for when Babcock doesn't get it done and gets canned, which could be coming as soon as next year.  

27 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

No way would he leave the Toronto system to come to Buffalo.

He's the heir apparent in TO for when Babcock doesn't get it done and gets canned, which could be coming as soon as next year.  

There’s also the possibility that Babcock doesn’t get canned...for a long time. They’re still a developing team and could pull it together. 

21 minutes ago, kas23 said:

There’s also the possibility that Babcock doesn’t get canned...for a long time. They’re still a developing team and could pull it together. 

And probably another dozen jobs or more will open up over the next couple years of Babcock sticks around, most of whom would probably be interested in him. He has no reason to be desperate and jump at the first job available. He’s not going to Buffalo. I’m shocked people are still mentioning him. 

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

And probably another dozen jobs or more will open up over the next couple years of Babcock sticks around, most of whom would probably be interested in him. He has no reason to be desperate and jump at the first job available. He’s not going to Buffalo. I’m shocked people are still mentioning him. 

I'm more in line with school of thought that Keefe is the heir apparent in Toronto.   But it would be interesting to see him take a meeting.   To force the hand of Dubas if you will.   There are also rumors that he is in no hurry and would wait for the right position....and Buffalo does not meet that criteria.    And if that's the case,  he can pi$$ off. 

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/04/27/is-sheldon-keefe-about-to-be-buffalos-new-head-coach/

7 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Yearbook photos:

fOwjOwz.jpg

Wow that is awesome!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Why is Grönborg is deemed more attractive by some than Krueger?

Resumes relatively similar with Krueger having the NHL experience Grönborg lacks.

Right, they are both terrible options. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Wild Gronberg has not been behind a bench for a full season in 14 years.

Kruger would be more likely to be willing to move into a President Of Hockey Ops or as President of the Sabres when Kim Pegula becomes Commissioner of the WNHL if another coaching candidate he deems as his successor becomes available.

He is also much more likely to revamp the Analytics Department and improve it to the level of Toronto. 

Friedman mentioned that his players all know what the exact responsibilities are on the ice, he also mentioned how he is a master at motivating players with positivity. Imagine Nolan with a much higher Hockey IQ. 

So is Botterill hiring a coach or his future boss? 

The whole thing seems back-asswards. 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Right, they are both terrible options. 

How could they be terrible options? not like NHL experianced coaches in the past has been successful with Sabres.

Gronborgs mindset is on a way higher level than these terrible coaches weve been having last years and yet you call Gronborg a terrible option, built on what?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

How could they be terrible options? not like NHL experianced coaches in the past has been successful with Sabres.

Gronborgs mindset is on a way higher level than these terrible coaches weve been having last years and yet you call Gronborg a terrible option, built on what?

In my view it's too much of a risk to hire a first time NHL coach, especially for this team. 

If some of the risk is mitigated because Botterill is under no pressure to turn this thing around any time soon, and next year is another "building" year, then whatever, we'd be screwed anyways. Hire Gronborg. 

Furthermore, we were told McLellan turned down the job, and Jeremy White's secret source (who he vouches strongly for) said recently that it was "Tippett's job if he wants it". The perception that Botterill is moving-on-down his list of choices isn't all-together comforting.

Maybe Kreuger was his first choice all along, or nobody rejected them and he decided on Kreuger, and he'll be amazing and turn this team around. Doesn't smell like that though. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

I really dont follow, i really dont.
Obviously the NHL experiance means dogsh-t looking at where we are and been for years.

Saying that experience doesn't mean anything full stop because Nolan and Bylsma didn't work out is a pretty huge jump.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Saying that experience doesn't mean anything full stop because Nolan and Bylsma didn't work out is a pretty huge jump.

No its not, it just explains how little effect it has on todays hockey that is beeing played. 
To me its about mindset, understanding of the game and how you use your skillset together with your weapons (players)

Look at Bylsma, with such great experince speaking of wins and above all winning stanley cup. Still it went to, yea Dogsh-t.
He is a perfect example of how little effect the actuall NHL experiance have if you cant get your system straight and handle your players or for that matter use your skillset as a coach.

20 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

No its not, it just explains how little effect it has on todays hockey that is beeing played. 
To me its about mindset, understanding of the game and how you use your skillset together with your weapons (players)

Look at Bylsma, with such great experince speaking of wins and above all winning stanley cup. Still it went to, yea Dogsh-t.
He is a perfect example of how little effect the actuall NHL experiance have if you cant get your system straight and handle your players or for that matter use your skillset as a coach.

Hey, maybe you're right, honestly. But Botterill didn't even interview Gronborg, so you'll have to take it up with him, I suppose. 

Like I said, I'd be less weary of whoever the choice is if it didn't seem so much to me like it was several notches down Botterill's list.

I know we don't know that, but 90% of this is speculation anyways. I'm still hoping for Tippett, and if it's someone like Kreuger I'm not getting excited at all until we see sustained success next season. 

And as a side note, the idea/thought/speculation that Botterill is somehow hiring the guy who's going to take over as President of Hockey Ops or something is a weird one, to me.

Edited by Thorny

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hey, maybe you're right, honestly. But Botterill didn't even interview Gronborg, so you'll have to take it up with him, I suppose. 

Like I said, I'd be less weary of whoever the choice is if it didn't seem so much to me like it was several notches down Botterill's list.

I know we don't know that, but 90% of this is speculation anyways. I'm still hoping for Tippett, and if it's someone like Kreuger I'm not getting excited at all until we see sustained success next season. 

And as a side note, the idea/thought/speculation that Botterill is somehow hiring the guy who's going to take over as President of Hockey Ops or something is a weird one, to me.

Yea, maybe Botts have the same mindset as you, not saying its the wrong mindset and never have, all im saying is that everything envolves, so does hockey and coaching. 
I get it, the risk is big for a NHL organisation to hire someone that doesnt have experiance coaching within NHL, but come on.. its gonna happen eventually and when it does and it succeeds, this era of "You need NHL experiance to coach in NHL" is over. 

What does make Tippet better on paper than Bylsma ? ive read the stats for Tippet, they are not bad at all. 
Lets say Sabres hire Tippet, we end up last next season. 

What would your opionion be then? look for a coach with NHL experiance? honest question, not trying to be rude.

Regarding Krueger i cant say other than he hasnt won anything in his whole career, he doesnt know how to win.
This is a coach that doesnt know how to win on elite level, all he won was some championships in austria, a league that is twice as bad as ECHL, a real crap league. 

Gronborg on the other hand is a completly different story, but he is not material for Sabres any longer obviously since he has signed for lions, shame on Botts imo.
So i guess i have to vote for Tippet aswell, he has made great success with less skilled players than what sabres have.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

You have Botterill's list?  Why are you holding out on us?  Post that thing!

bugs bunny omg GIF by Looney Tunes

Edited by ...
The Ghost of Dwight Drane
  • Haha (+1) 2