Friedman Says Ralph Kruger has a Legit Shot at Sabres HC Position

Tarosays

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

If this is the person, then I guess he is the person. But, I don’t know how you can justify hiring Krueger while not even bothering to interview Grönborg. Really, how can you do that?

Frankly we don't know what contact they may or may not have had with him.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Second place with an inferior team that over achieved by all accounts. From what I've read he gets the most with the talent he has had. Also apparently has turned down other offers in the past. Friedman said this morning he would take this job because he wants to not that he needs it. 

To be completely honest I don't put stock in that tournament. It's just a few games with All Star players; granted they weren't the most talented team it's not like he had our AHL 3/4th lines to deal with

It's also hard to judge tournaments like that because you don't know how much effort the players are really putting in, how much of it is them vs coaching staff, and there's only a handful of games so you don't know how the coach would adjust or even if he can. Ted Nolan had success in the Olympics, for what honestly sounds like somewhat similar reasons Kruger has, but he was a garbage NHL head coach

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

Second place with an inferior team that over achieved by all accounts. From what I've read he gets the most with the talent he has had. Also apparently has turned down other offers in the past. Friedman said this morning he would take this job because he wants to not that he needs it. 

Yup, he turned down two NHL jobs when we hired Housley. Was Buffalo 1 of the 2?

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

Yup, he turned down two NHL jobs when we hired Housley. Was Buffalo 1 of the 2?

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reported Tuesday that new Buffalo Sabres general manager Jason Botterill wants to talk to Krueger, who's still keeping tabs on hockey despite his soccer commitments. - From 2017

https://www.thescore.com/epl/news/1302745

Edited by WildCard

From everything I have read, Buffalo seems to be the PERFECT project for him. Turn around the biggest loser in the league, who just so happens to have some legit superstar youth. It's not like he is taking over during the 1st year of the tank, he would be putting on the finishing touches and get all the credit. Sounds like a perfect for both sides....

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Experience always has been and always will be overrated. Ability is what matters. People with ability will always be quick learners.

I think ability matters more sure but in life experience is not overrated, it means a lot

20 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm not sure it was "inferior" by that much...he had some very good players on it...

Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek,  Leon Draisatl, Anze Kopitar, Mark Streit, Roman Jossi, etc...

The most challenging part was he was taking guys who never played or really practiced together as a team and had to have them ready against teams that had been practicing and playing together for much longer periods of time.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think ability matters more sure but in life experience is not overrated, it means a lot

The more ability you have, the less experience matters. Experience teaches you how to do something "right" or how to handle situations that arise.  People with high levels of ability already mostly know how to handle these things because they have exceptional instincts at doing it. Yes they make mistakes, but their mistakes are usually less frequent and less severe than other people with the saem experience they have. They also rarely make the same mistake twice and learn very quickly.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The more ability you have, the less experience matters. Experience teaches you how to do something "right" or how to handle situations that arise.  People with high levels of ability already mostly know how to handle these things because they have exceptional instincts at doing it. Yes they make mistakes, but their mistakes are usually less frequent and less severe than other people with the saem experience they have. They also rarely make the same mistake twice and learn very quickly.

I see what you're saying and I'm inclined to agree in most situations, but there are a lot of times in life where experience is invaluable when handling a situation, no matter your ability

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not sure it was "inferior" by that much...he had some very good players on it...

Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek,  Leon Draisatl, Anze Kopitar, Mark Streit, Roman Jossi, etc...

The most challenging part was he was taking guys who never played or really practiced together as a team and had to have them ready against teams that had been practicing and playing together for much longer periods of time.

True. Should say he took them further than expected.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Why is Grönborg is deemed more attractive by some than Krueger?

Resumes relatively similar with Krueger having the NHL experience Grönborg lacks.

Gronberg has more head coaching experience, and is solely a hockey guy whereas Kruger has a variety of interests, even if hockey is his main one

• Thanks (+1) 1

So McLellan and Tippett are retreads that get us rolling our eyes and shouting “look outside the box!” And Krueger is nobody and a reach that is proof we are dragging the bottom of the barrel.

This despite all these men having a lot of successes in hockey and life.

It’s indicative of something, not sure what.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Gronberg has more head coaching experience, and is solely a hockey guy whereas Kruger has a variety of interests, even if hockey is his main one

Krueger coached the Swiss national team for 12 years. His head coaching experiences are pretty similar to Gronberg’s.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So McLellan and Tippett are retreads that get us rolling our eyes and shouting “look outside the box!” And Krueger is nobody and a reach that is proof we are dragging the bottom of the barrel.

Krueger coached the Swiss national team for 12 years. His head coaching experiences are pretty similar to Gronberg’s.

National teams are not the same as coaching a team through a grinding season. Granted I'm not sure which is harder, but it's just not the same

Just now, dudacek said:

It's indicative of a sports forum. We kick tires. Frankly I'm not for or against any of the names mentioned other than a couple who have reportedly been out of the running. If Krueger is the guy I'm okay with it. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

National teams are not the same as coaching a team through a grinding season. Granted I'm not sure which is harder, but it's just not the same

But that’s the exact same knock against Grönborg, isn’t it?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

OK, but he also has coached club teams in Europe, and hasn’t Grönborg been a full-time national team guy for some time as well?

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

OK, but he also has coached club teams in Europe, and hasn’t Grönborg been a full-time national team guy for some time as well?

I thought he had some Swedish league HC experience as well but it appears I was wrong

39 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

From everything I have read, Buffalo seems to be the PERFECT project for him. Turn around the biggest loser in the league, who just so happens to have some legit superstar youth. It's not like he is taking over during the 1st year of the tank, he would be putting on the finishing touches and get all the credit. Sounds like a perfect for both sides....

IF he can pull it off.

Edited by Doohickie

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The more ability you have, the less experience matters.

Disagree.  Jack Eichel is a good example of that.  All kinds of ability, but he's definitely benefiting from experience.

32 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

People with high levels of ability already mostly know how to handle these things because they have exceptional instincts at doing it.

Hogwash.

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Thought he coached teams in the Swedish league, no?

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I thought he had some Swedish league HC experience as well but it appears I was wrong

Krueger has 3 seasons of NHL coaching experience (2 Associate HC), 1 HC, 1 season HC in Austria, 1 season HC in German 2nd league.  

Grönborg has 2 seasons AC in NCHA (college), 4 seasons HC in AWHL, 1 season AC in WHL.

Neither has a lot of HC experience in a league environment, but Krueger’s NHL experience weighs heavily when comparing the two.

Edited by Curtisp5286