Friedman Says Ralph Kruger has a Legit Shot at Sabres HC Position

Tarosays

Kruger seems like one of those people who you could literally give him a job doing anything and he would figure out a way to be very successful at it, even if he has never done it before.  Those type of people exist and it shouldn't be discounted. Some people just understand how to succeed in general in any situation and understand how to achieve a desired result.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Kruger seems like one of those people who you could literally give him a job doing anything and he would figure out a way to be very successful at it, even if he has never done it before.  

What success has he had in doing anything?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

What success has he had in doing anything?

He was so well respected in hockey that the day he was fired in Edmonton, he was asked to be a consultant for Team Canada and their Olympic Hockey Team.

He oversaw Southampton's return to the Premier League and their best ever finishes in the league.

He coached Team Europe, a collection of players from "other countries"  to 2nd place in 2016 in the World Championships, losing to Team Canada in the Finals.

He was named to the World Economic Forum New Models of Leadership Council.

Here is an article talking about how he brings success pretty everywhere he goes...prior to his foray at the World Championships in 2016 and management in Southampton,which happened to be the most successful finishes the team has ever had in The Premier League(6th, 7th, and 8th twice, before 17th this year).

http://www.themanitoban.com/2014/03/international-man-of-sports/19821/

People like him "just figure it out" in regards to how to be successful because it is what drives them.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He was so well respected in hockey that the day he was fired in Edmonton, he was asked to be a consultant for Team Canada and their Olympic Hockey Team.

He oversaw Southampton's return to the Premier League and their best ever finishes in the league.

He coached Team Europe, a collection of players from "other countries"  to 2nd place in 2016 in the World Championships, losing to Team Canada in the Finals.

He was named to the World Economic Forum New Models of Leadership Council.

Here is an article talking about how he brings success pretty everywhere he goes...prior to his foray in Southampton, which happened to be the most successful finishes the team has ever had in The Premier League(6th, 7th, and 8th twice, before 17th this year).

http://www.themanitoban.com/2014/03/international-man-of-sports/19821/

People like him "just figure it out" in regards to how to be successful because it is what drives them.

Southampton isn't exactly a great place to be the chairman, either.  It's one of the poorer clubs in the Premier League.  This guy might fit my "does more with less" criterion.  I'm starting to come around on him.  But he's got to be focused on the job here; his head needs to be in Buffalo, not Davos.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I don't know, I want a hockey guy being my coach, not guy who's just generally good at running any organization

He is a hockey guy first and foremost, he just happens to be really successful at lots of other things as well.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

This is from September of 2016. I am really starting to warm up to this guy....like a lot 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2016/09/28/ralph-krueger-world-cup-southampton-football-club/91240876/

NHL players basically praising him effusively and saying how brilliant he is when it comes to hockey...yeah I'm good with him. I think the Sabres could win a Cup within 3 or 4 years with him here...this would be an absolute awesome hire.

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

You know what?  Screw it.  Let's do something bold, Botterill.  Go for it.  I won't even blame you if it doesn't work.  It's better than hiring a retread.  Go all-in.

Bold would've been Groenberg, or at least interviewing the freaking guy

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Bold would've been Groenberg, or at least interviewing the freaking guy

There are some similarities between Groenberg and Kreuger actually. Coaching experience wise. Krueger has the administration experience but his coaching experience isn't novice by any means. Plus  he's not a "retread" as so many posters seem to not want.

Edited by Radar

I just like this guy.  I think he is extremely smart and a little eccentric, but in a good way.  He is a hockey guy first and foremost, but he has spent time doing some other incredible things.  I think it could be beneficial to get him into this organization.  

if Tippett or Keefe is not going to happen, I’m cool with this guy.

2 hours ago, Patty16 said:

Gotta love some of these HNIC guys,  "further along"   but he hasn't interviewed.   How much is there between talking and the actual interview such that one can be further along.  Where did he think they were before?  

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

Don't worry.  They'll report a different front runner on Tuesday, then they'll have another new one on Wednesday.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Radar said:

There are some similarities between Groenberg and Kreuger actually. Coaching experience wise. Krueger has the administration experience but his coaching experience isn't novice by any means. Plus assisted said he's not a "retread" as so many posters seem to not want.

He coached half an NHL season going sub .500 and then 2nd place in a World Cup tournament, yes? 

He coached half an NHL season going sub .500 and then 2nd place in a World Cup tournament, yes? 

Let's put it in perspective...it was Edmonton's best finish in 11 years and everyone was surprised when he got fired.

Then he took a bunch of guys who never played together from 8 different countries and shocked everyone by making it to the finals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I just like this guy.  I think he is extremely smart and a little eccentric, but in a good way.  He is a hockey guy first and foremost, but he has spent time doing some other incredible things.  I think it could be beneficial to get him into this organization.  

if Tippett or Keefe is not going to happen, I’m cool with this guy.

If this is the person, then I guess he is the person. But, I don’t know how you can justify hiring Krueger while not even bothering to interview Grönborg. Really, how can you do that?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

Let's put it in perspective...it was Edmonton's best finish in 11 years and everyone was surprised when he got fired.

Then he took a bunch of guys who never played together from 8 different countries and shocked everyone by making it to the finals.

Right but that's still not a lot of coaching experience

Just now, kas23 said:

If this is the person, then I guess he is the person. But, I don’t know how you can justify hiring Krueger while not even bothering to interview Grönborg. Really, how can you do that?

Exactly 

Second place with an inferior team that over achieved by all accounts. From what I've read he gets the most with the talent he has had. Also apparently has turned down other offers in the past. Friedman said this morning he would take this job because he wants to not that he needs it. 

Just now, kas23 said:

I get that viewpoint and I’m not arguing against it.  I don’t know these guys.  They are more than just their resumes on a piece of paper.

It’s possible that Botterill just thinks Krueger is super smart, a good coach, and the right man for the job.  He may not feel the same way about Grönborg.  Botterill may have already met these guys before or at least knows people who are familiar with them.