Friedman Says Ralph Kruger has a Legit Shot at Sabres HC Position

Tarosays

Re: analytics. Don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But in Kruger's time at Southampton they have been trending downwards. Resulting in a 5th from bottom finish this season. I'm not sure how much influence he had as a chairman. And if he did, it didn't end well.

Edited by steveoath

So Gronberg wasn't a viable option but a guy who hasn't coached hockey in a few years and has minimal coaching experience at the NHL level is? I mean, sounds better than Martin but man this seems somewhat illogical. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

This whole process is great.  The only thing I've learned is that the Sabres run a very tight ship and absolutely nothing leaks out.  The media reports can be summarized as "everyone's a candidate".

Amazing how quiet it has been with Russ gone.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good effin' call.

Memory does not serve: Who was/were his (or his designees') chosen media for leaking those tidbits?

All I recall is it was never the local guys.

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good effin' call.

Memory does not serve: Who was/were his (or his designees') chosen media for leaking those tidbits?

18 minutes ago, Derrico said:

All I recall is it was never the local guys.

There were some rumors that he was one of Wawrow’s Sources. Given that JW still has information from time to time, he’s obviously not his only source 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I do have concerns about whether the Sabres will receive 100% of his attention.  Aside from his obvious love for soccer, he's involved with the World Economic Forum, he's an author, etc.  

I know nothing about the guy other than what's in this thread. But, man -- how is this guy a HC candidate? Sounds very much more like a Prez of Hockey Ops as others have noted.

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

While many here will not be happy he does fill the bill in many ways. He's not another young guy with a young team and really has a lot of experience with young players. The team needs that structure and his organization experience may be as valuable as his coaching. While not a lot of NHL coaching experience his other experience with coaching  young players could be important. After Housley, which at the time I liked, I am in favor of not going new and young again for this team. I didn't want Martin but I'm okay with Tippett or this guy. Don't think Keefe was ever in the picture. Now the real thing is can Botterill put a decent team together because that's more important than who the coach is in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Gotta love some of these HNIC guys,  "further along"   but he hasn't interviewed.   How much is there between talking and the actual interview such that one can be further along.  Where did he think they were before?  

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

1 minute ago, Patty16 said:

Gotta love some of these HNIC guys,  "further along"   but he hasn't interviewed.   How much is there between talking and the actual interview such that one can be further along.  Where did he think they were before?  

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.

Umm, it says that he was interviewed and that it went well.

Edited by Eleven