World Cup 2019

That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, josie said:

I've been feeling better and finding time to paint for myself lately. Been trying to keep it loose, take all the rules off, and I had a go at Megan Rapinoe 

D-CVIlbXsAAkehG.jpg

Nice work. I think it captures something essential about the subject. 

I admire Rapinoe very much, for a lot of reasons. I also get the sense that, inter-personally, she might be a difficult person to get along with -- at least insofar as ordinary, normal people are concerned. She just seems so intense, so exacting, so unyielding. Like I said, that leads to admiration on my part. But I wonder if she's able to turn that off in other areas of her life.

Anyway. She's a true American badass.

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nice work. I think it captures something essential about the subject. 

I admire Rapinoe very much, for a lot of reasons. I also get the sense that, inter-personally, she might be a difficult person to get along with -- at least insofar as ordinary, normal people are concerned. She just seems so intense, so exacting, so unyielding. Like I said, that leads to admiration on my part. But I wonder if she's able to turn that off in other areas of her life.

Anyway. She's a true American badass.

I'm a little unsure of what the line of thought is here. The qualities you outline are ones typically praised in athletes, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone question whether an intense athlete is difficult to...be friends with or something?

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm a little unsure of what the line of thought is here. The qualities you outline are ones typically praised in athletes, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone question whether an intense athlete is difficult to...be friends with or something?

Yeah - I realize I'm treading on tricky ground there. For what it's worth, I've had/made similar observations about male athletes (and artists) as well. I don't think this is gender-specific, but I'll take that under consideration.

There's just a certain species of elite-level performer, etc. where I find myself simultaneously admiring and fearing them. Rapinoe's one of them. The other exemplar right off the top of my head (an easy one to pull out of thin air because of his notoriety): Michael Jordan.

Just now, josie said:

Well she slid into my DMs on twitter and I can confirm she's a really nice person hahaha

were not worthy waynes world GIF

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yeah - I realize I'm treading on tricky ground there. For what it's worth, I've had/made similar observations about male athletes (and artists) as well. I don't think this is gender-specific, but I'll take that under consideration.

There's just a certain species of elite-level performer, etc. where I find myself simultaneously admiring and fearing them. Rapinoe's one of them. The other exemplar right off the top of my head (an easy one to pull out of thin air because of his notoriety): Michael Jordan.

This is generally what I assumed you were getting at. Type A people are Type A people.

I think what sets Rapinoe apart is that she's a major icon in the LGBT community, a voice for Women's equality in sports (especially soccer where the women's team is arguably more popular than the men's), and civil rights in general. Male athletes don't tend to take their Type A to other areas outside of sports.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This is generally what I assumed you were getting at. Type A people are Type A people.

I think what sets Rapinoe apart is that she's a major icon in the LGBT community, a voice for Women's equality in sports (especially soccer where the women's team is arguably more popular than the men's), and civil rights in general. Male athletes don't tend to take their Type A to other areas outside of sports.

That's the gist of it - yeah.

And truedat to the balance.

32 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, she's intimidating as hell. She occupies a unique place- which is a big part of why I wanted to paint her. She's just so damn cool. 

• Like (+1) 1