World Cup 2019

That Aud Smell

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone would kick off (ha) a thread for this awesome tournament.

Women's football is often more exciting and physical than the men's.  Yup.

I will be fully committed to CS12 and Canada.

MUST WIN!!

GO CS12!!

GO CANADA!!

MAKE US PROUD!!

AT LEAST BEAT THOSE DASTARDLY YANKS!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

China out here shithousing Germany, ref keeping cards in her pocket.  This has been fun to watch, but I'd be upset were I German.  

That having been said, it'll only take one chance, Germany are clearly the better team. 

22 hours ago, Eleven said:

They obviously expanded the field too far.  Thailand has no business being in.  I feel horrible for these women.

For sure. Other sports with similar competitions do a better job, I think (rugby, cricket -- even hockey, I suppose). Of course, FIFA can't resist the almighty dollar (or legal tender), so expand away they will.

Something similar may happen at the next (?) men's World Cup (which is expanding).

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

For sure. Other sports with similar competitions do a better job, I think (rugby, cricket -- even hockey, I suppose). Of course, FIFA can't resist the almighty dollar (or legal tender), so expand away they will.

Something similar may happen at the next (?) men's World Cup (which is expanding).

Expansion to 48 teams is set for 2026, which is really only in place to find a way to have the 3 hosts auto qualify without taking away too many slots.  I did agree with good ol' Sepp when he said the current allotment of qualifiers is not fair, reasonable or global.  The whole 1/2 bid nonsense from someplace is a joke.  Europe and South America have too many slots, IMO, but I don't think expansion is the answer.  A better way is to redistribute the 32 slots in a fairer manner.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Expansion to 48 teams is set for 2026, which is really only in place to find a way to have the 3 hosts auto qualify without taking away too many slots.  I did agree with good ol' Sepp when he said the current allotment of qualifiers is not fair, reasonable or global.  The whole 1/2 bid nonsense from someplace is a joke.  Europe and South America have too many slots, IMO, but I don't think expansion is the answer.  A better way is to redistribute the 32 slots in a fairer manner.

Agreed.  Too many places for Europe.  As much fun as it was to watch the Iceland-Argentina draw in the city square in Reykjavik, they didn't really belong.

22 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The hardest part to watch were the over-the-top goal celebrations.  

Score goals.  As many as you can, but don't be dinks about it.

Agreed again.

10 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Watched the game out of the corner of my eye from the pool whilst guzzling exotic drinks, but from what I can tell Chile’s goalie put on a Hasek-like performance.   

Indeed she did.

I dunno about anybody else, but this tournament has just about been reduced to a farce by VAR.  Cameroon is rightly about to lose their collective mind right now after a goal is disallowed by a razor thin margin, which is what we were told was not going to be what it was used for to begin with.  

Just scrap it, already.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I dunno about anybody else, but this tournament has just about been reduced to a farce by VAR.  Cameroon is rightly about to lose their collective mind right now after a goal is disallowed by a razor thin margin, which is what we were told was not going to be what it was used for to begin with.  

Just scrap it, already.

I just hate VAR.  Worst experiment ever.  I agree, they better scrap it.

@josie, I gave two cups (not cusps ... hay, oh @PASabreFan) for the above.

Since this is my club and it's not on the main board I will gleefully add that I think that Megan is awesome.  Not only as a footballer, but as a human being.  She stands up for what she believes, although she did conform to certain degree she is still in full on protest mode.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

@josie, I gave two cups (not cusps ... hay, oh @PASabreFan) for the above.

Since this is my club and it's not on the main board I will gleefully add that I think that Megan is awesome.  Not only as a footballer, but as a human being.  She stands up for what she believes, although she did conform to certain degree she is still in full on protest mode.

I posted it on twitter and already had one dude yelling at me for it. I actually didn't even see it until one of my followers spat back at him... It only takes one... I'm expecting more to come in and call me un-American and such. Hooray. Whatever. Way of the times, I guess. I just hope it doesn't get me doxxed or something.