The Official Sabrespace Optimist Thread

#freejame

8 hours ago, #freejame said:

Are you an ice cream or fudge person?

Yes.  They opened a Kilwins here and we go every time we can.  Love the ice cream, but the candy is really excellent as well.  

However, every time we are in NC, be it Asheville or Blowing Rock or Linville or Spruce Pine we always find time for the Mast General Store and Kilwins.

I posted in a couple of other threads why a good FA might sign here for reasonable money as well as why a good coach may come here.  But let me go on a few that I think are the most important.

I liked a bunch of your posts, but a couple I will emphasise are the recent drafts look WAY better than I expected, especially the later picks, and that a lot of the youngsters a looking like potentially solid NHLers.

Believe it or not, I actually liked the play of the team overall before the trade deadline better than I liked it during Bylsma's reign.

Unlike JBot, I think that the winning streak and the good play for a while afterwards was not a mirage.  I firmly believe if he had replaced Thompson, Sobotka, Elie with Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo level players, then this team -- with all its other flaws up and down the line-up -- would have made the playoffs.

They are my team, come Hell or high water.  I had season tix during the bankruptcy.  Nothing felt worse than wondering if I was never going to see them again.  As bad as it feels now, at least we aren't there.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:13 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Tired of the negativity? lol. I tried really hard to be optimistic all year long, but by the end of it there simply wasn't/isn't enough to get optimistic about, and when the playoffs started and I saw and remembered how good hockey can be, then it hit home how bad we were, and I think that is what has made myself and others more pessimistic. 

Not only do we have a long way to go to get to the playoffs, we have an even further wait to be the kind of team that can win in the playoffs.

So signs to warrant optimism aside from Dahlin? The Finnish kid as our goalie? Sure, maybe, but not yet, not for a while. Mits? Outside of one brilliant shoot out goal what flashes of brilliance made you think he will be a star? Not ready. Not even close. I could go on and on but it's the optimism thread so I won't. I'd just say compare what we have to other teams and if you are still optimistic, pass me a little of whatever it is, it must be really really good. 

This is an optimist thread but you just had to infiltrate it with your negative comments. You've several other threads go there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:10 AM, Pimlach said:

I tried to be optimistic during the slide.  Watching those team pass us in the standings was painful but we were playing meaningful hockey late into the season for the first time in a long time. ...

Coaching will determine much about next season.  That and goaltending which right now is mediocre. 

I’m looking forward and am optimistic about a new coach with a new system turning this team in the right direction over the course of the first 35-40 games. ??

I’m also looking forward to certain posters thinking it all had to do with several players magically developing at the same time, and little to do with better coaching and system and effective in-game adjustments. ?

And even though it won’t happen on a consistent basis thru the first half of the season, i think the team overall, will improve. Baring a few key injuries to key players, the team ends the season 15-25 points better than this season.

19 hours ago, nfreeman said:

RK is the prince who was promised.

Was he anointed by GMJB's Daddy or something? I didn't realize we were blessed with royalty. Can he declare war or just annex a #2 center from some other team? I'm sure there's a provision for that listed in the Constitution, the Magna Carta, or the Bible or something.

Edited by Drunkard

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat random thought:

At the time of the Eichel signing, it was more than a lot of people wanted/expected, myself included.  However we have seen the top RFA guys really get paid since then so it looks pretty good by comparison.  I’m taking the optimistic view on the deal.

One good thing about the team captain and #1C have that nice even $10M AAV, is that I think it sets the ceiling for the team.  Especially if they can win some games.  Dahlin’s contract may approach Eichel’s but will not surpass it.  I’m doubtful that any Sabre will surpass it for the next 7 years.  There is a certain value to that.

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Hey man I haven’t seen you in a while. Welcome back!

Thanks.

During Ramadan I also fast from non-essential Internet use, which means no SabreSpace during the Holy month.  I have taken this break every year since I signed up.  If I recall correctly when I signed up in 2011 Ramadan had just ended.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Somewhat random thought:

At the time of the Eichel signing, it was more than a lot of people wanted/expected, myself included.  However we have seen the top RFA guys really get paid since then so it looks pretty good by comparison.  I’m taking the optimistic view on the deal.

One good thing about the team captain and #1C have that nice even $10M AAV, is that I think it sets the ceiling for the team.  Especially if they can win some games.  Dahlin’s contract may approach Eichel’s but will not surpass it.  I’m doubtful that any Sabre will surpass it for the next 7 years.  There is a certain value to that.

Nobody was amazed by the Bergeron/Pastrnak/Marchand deals when they signed.

It really depends on what the cap does and how the players play.

Edited by dudacek

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thanks.

During Ramadan I also fast from non-essential Internet use, which means no SabreSpace during the Holy month.  I have taken this break every year since I signed up.  If I recall correctly when I signed up in 2011 Ramadan had just ended.

If I remember correctly following Ramadan is Eid.  I remember hearing it referred to as the Feast of Eid. Apologies if I am mistaken.

Again, good to have you back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.