UPL Voted OHL Outstanding Player of the Year

Brawndo

I like his potential, but I'm not sold.

He's been playing U20 since 2015-16.    He should dominate in year 4 at that level, and he has... which is nice.

I'd leave him in Roch for at least 2-3 seasons, maybe give him a game or two in 2020-21, a few more in 2021-22.. and go from there.

13 minutes ago, #freejame said:

How often is it goalies win this award?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Tilson_Trophy

He's the 3rd dating back to the 50s.  It's not all that impressive of a list.  Oddly, the last goalie winner was Houser, who was with Rochester/Cincy this year.  The other, Raycroft, did win the Calder, but that career never amounted to much of anything.

It doesn't look like you can put too much stock into any of that.  It's too few goalies spread over too much time.  The award as a whole though, that's a rather impressive list of winners in recent years.

Edited by shrader
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I like his potential, but I'm not sold.

He's been playing U20 since 2015-16.    He should dominate in year 4 at that level, and he has... which is nice.

I'd leave him in Roch for at least 2-3 seasons, maybe give him a game or two in 2020-21, a few more in 2021-22.. and go from there.

I'm sure that would be the preferred plan. Especially with Seattles entrance into the league where they'd like to protect him, so that'd be another case to consider for him staying in Roch longer. But i think a lot of what happens in his development timeline will depend on what is happening here in Buffalo with our goaltending situation. If it takes a step back next year & we don't bring in any other free agent goalies, that time table may change & we might see him here a year sooner.

I have a couple friends who live in Finland & they say we got a great one in him so I'm excited about his future. He seems to be right where he should be in his development which is great news for sure!

On 5/9/2019 at 12:20 PM, MillerVaive said:

I'm sure that would be the preferred plan. Especially with Seattles entrance into the league where they'd like to protect him, so that'd be another case to consider for him staying in Roch longer. But i think a lot of what happens in his development timeline will depend on what is happening here in Buffalo with our goaltending situation. If it takes a step back next year & we don't bring in any other free agent goalies, that time table may change & we might see him here a year sooner.

I have a couple friends who live in Finland & they say we got a great one in him so I'm excited about his future. He seems to be right where he should be in his development which is great news for sure!

I don't think there is any way he would be eligible for the expansion draft.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:45 PM, klos1963 said:

I don't think there is any way he would be eligible for the expansion draft.

Why would it even be a concern?  Even if he was, it's not like there's another goalie in the organization they would have any interest in protecting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.