Round Three:2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs The Conference Finals

Brawndo

17 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Boston played its type of game to perfection last night and my man Patrice Bergeron put on a freaking master class.  We can only hope Eichel some day gets to his level; he's nowhere near it now on the defensive side of things.

This has been a quirky playoffs with some unusual results that I wouldn't read too much into.  Carolina finally reached a level where they were exposed; not sure how they got as far as they did.

Now back to SJ and St. Louis.  May the best team win; I just want the series to stay even and go to 7.

They got as far as they did because the playoff format is broken. And good goaltending. Carolina is exactly what you can do without an Eichel or Dahlin. 

6 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

SJ actually deserved to win that one, after a nice first, they went full Alamo, they can't do that again or it'll cost em. 

No doubt SJ had the better of the 2nd and 3rd periods. As for “deserving to win”, the series being even at this point seems right to me.  I like the way the Blues handled the bad call in game three.  No blaming them refs and no getting down.  Then come out hard in the next game   

Bad calls and goaltenders stealing games- that’s not unique to this series.  Binington was the difference last night.  Impressive rookie.  

The two teams are at war.  The hitting is intense but so far controlled. Kane went knee to knee with Peitroangelo.   I doubt that will go unanswered. Looking forward to the remaining best of 3. 

Boston will play a team that is war torn. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

They got as far as they did because the playoff format is broken. And good goaltending. Carolina is exactly what you can do without an Eichel or Dahlin. 

Why do you think the format broken? Do you want reseeding after every round? Just curious.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why do you think the format broken? Do you want reseeding after every round? Just curious.

I'd like 1-8 seeding and reseeding each round. If you finish the regular season in first, it should actually mean something. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not much to celebrate.  We have what about 5 runs in 50 years?  Only 2 finals appearances with 0 cups and 4 playoff appearances in the past 20 years.  Pitiful.  I’m thankful to have a team but honestly and looking realistically we are one of the NHL’s bottom feeders.  

I thought Kane was made for playoff hockey but his 2G 8Pts in 18 games is pretty underwhelming.

His hockey IQ is not as high as a lot of guys who are doing well and I believe he plays hard all season long so he doesn't have that "extra gear" for the playoffs. 

He still takes low percentage shots and tries zone entries alone along the boards.

His high point was fighting Reaves in round 1 and holding his own.

I am still pulling for the Sharks all the way, for Thornton, Burns, Couture and Karlsson to win one.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, French Collection said:

I thought Kane was made for playoff hockey but his 2G 8Pts in 18 games is pretty underwhelming.

His hockey IQ is not as high as a lot of guys who are doing well and I believe he plays hard all season long so he doesn't have that "extra gear" for the playoffs. 

He still takes low percentage shots and tries zone entries alone along the boards.

His high point was fighting Reaves in round 1 and holding his own.

I am still pulling for the Sharks all the way, for Thornton, Burns, Couture and Karlsson to win one.

Kane hit iron to start the game.  He was looking to mix it up in the 3rd and I expect he could be a problem in game 6.  I am counting on Kane to either take  a few bad penalties next game or just be invisible.  Of course he could play well but my bet is he is just what have seen to date.    

The Blues dominated the play from there.  They have showed great composure and mental toughness against a very talented Sharks team.  

Pulling for Blues since I live in St Louis and have for quite awhile.   

On 5/18/2019 at 7:07 AM, LGR4GM said:

They beat the defending Cup champs in round 1. They got where they were because they deserved to. 

And they had an Eichel, his name is Aho. 

The format is broken, but the Leafs drawing the Bruins (and the Bruins drawing the Leafs) round 1 is a better example of that. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They beat the defending Cup champs in round 1. They got where they were because they deserved to. 

And they had an Eichel, his name is Aho. 

The format is broken, but the Leafs drawing the Bruins (and the Bruins drawing the Leafs) round 1 is a better example of that. 

Not to mention the depth of their defense. Five of their top six could be on our top pair. 

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Not to mention the depth of their defense. Five of their top six could be on our top pair. 

Montour may want a word on that 5th guy. But 4 of them, ya. 

Of course, Dahlin would still be there now. As a side note, it's a little crazy that he had 5 more points as a rookie than any Canes defender last year. 

I don’t know why the typical Sabre fan would have any issue with the Blues in the final, unless they have a severe sense of schadenfreude tied to O’Reilly, or the fact they have one of the few longer cup droughts.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Aside from a St. Louis vs. Toronto finals scenario, is St. Louis vs. Boston pretty much the worst case for a typical Sabres fan?

I've never had an issue with the Blues, always liked them for some reason. Would be happy if they won the cup.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t know why the typical Sabre fan would have any issue with the Blues in the final, unless they have a severe sense of schadenfreude tied to O’Reilly, or the fact they have one of the few longer cup droughts.

Tony Twist 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That's exactly what I was referring to. Of all 15 teams in the Western Conference, the Blues would be the most galling to your average Sabres fan because we gave them the #2C we desperately needed this season in exchange for a bunch of trash (Berglund, Sobotka, draft bust Thompson) and a couple irrelevant draft picks in the scheme of things. The Sabres don't really have any rivals in the West.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.