Round Three:2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs The Conference Finals

Brawndo

I have said this before, but it was punctuated tonight. The Bruins "culture" is something to be admired and emulated.

If the Bruins win it all, the good news at least is there will be no prominent former Sabre talking about what a change his career took or how it was great to join a real team.

The league, however, seems to favor the Sharks.........or is it just luck? Who can say. 

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Nah. 

They be jobbed. 

Two interesting points from the comments:

1) What does the rule define as the "hand" in a hand pass?  If it went off of the cuff of his glove (basically, his wrist), is it still a hand pass?

2) If it had been ruled a hand pass, then the Sharks should have been going on the powerplay for a clear trip by Bouwmeester on Meier just prior to the alleged hand pass.  That being the case, what was basically a 50/50 game goes to, say, 60/40 Sharks win.  Obviously, the Blues would rather have a 40% chance than none, but there would still have been a (roughly) 60% chance that they would skating out with a loss.

The league admitted that the refs missed the call. And that crew is reportedly done doing playoff games for what remains of this season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-admits-it-missed-hand-pass-that-led-to-sharks-ot-winner-reportedly-removes-all-four-officials-from-playoffs/

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The league admitted that the refs missed the call. And that crew is reportedly done doing playoff games for what remains of this season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-admits-it-missed-hand-pass-that-led-to-sharks-ot-winner-reportedly-removes-all-four-officials-from-playoffs/

That was an awful miss.  Every bit as bad a No Goal.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That was an awful miss.  Every bit as bad a No Goal.

However, the rulebook doesn't currently allow for hand pass plays to go to video review unless the puck enters the net as a direct result of a hand pass (i.e. it is swatted directly into the net). As a result, the Blues had no way of challenging the goal on Wednesday night.

That ? needs to change.

6 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

However, the rulebook doesn't currently allow for hand pass plays to go to video review unless the puck enters the net as a direct result of a hand pass (i.e. it is swatted directly into the net). As a result, the Blues had no way of challenging the goal on Wednesday night.

That ? needs to change.

Why? You can hand pass on defense but not offense so it isn't a safety thing so why is it even a rule and why should be ***** up the game more with video reviews? We will start having all scoring plays reviewed for any inconsistency, did it go off his stick or his hand 32 seconds on this play? That's what we will start seeing. Just like the craziness of the offsides review. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? You can hand pass on defense but not offense so it isn't a safety thing so why is it even a rule and why should be ***** up the game more with video reviews? We will start having all scoring plays reviewed for any inconsistency, did it go off his stick or his hand 32 seconds on this play? That's what we will start seeing. Just like the craziness of the offsides review. 

I get your point.. but, we're talking about a way for officials to review and see what they didn't see.

Blatant

Playoffs

Game changing

Series changing

I don't think that play being reviewed and the goal overturned would mess up the game.

Even more so that Toronto would make the call within seconds, literally, and tell the officials it's not goal

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I get your point.. but, we're talking about a way for officials to review and see what they didn't see.

Blatant

Playoffs

Game changing

Series changing

I don't think that play being reviewed and the goal overturned would mess up the game.

Even more so that Toronto would make the call within seconds, literally, and tell the officials it's not goal

But it won't be blatant. It will be used for everything. That is exactly what happened with offsides. We now zoom in and examine if a guys skate is a millimeter off the ice. That will be  the reality on goals. Well let's rewind 42 seconds and see if there was any infraction. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But it won't be blatant. It will be used for everything. That is exactly what happened with offsides. We now zoom in and examine if a guys skate is a millimeter off the ice. That will be  the reality on goals. Well let's rewind 42 seconds and see if there was any infraction. 

I understand how you are concerned about the growth and use of the replay.  You're fear is that it will continue to be used more and more and the line that is drawn on "how far back do we go" will continue to creep.

It could happen right?  It could be seen that an interference call in the D zone leads to a breakaway that results in a goal.  Is that reviewable? 

This has always been the case with any video review.  They set a standard and then when a fluke play occurs and everyone can examine it from a multitude of camera angles people look and say, "There's no reason this can't be reviewed."  They opened the door when the instituted review.  We know they don't even always get that right (helloooo goaltender interference).

Truthfully, I would not want them to review this.  It's a missed call, that is egregious enough that it should not be a missed call.  I'm fine with the refs being held out of future series just in case there was some level of intentional non-call.  It eliminates their input into the future games (just in case, for example, a ref was betting on the game).  

I also see why people would argue for the review.  It's obvious and it directly (within seconds) leads to a goal.

When I coach kids, my advice to them is to never put themselves in a spot where an official can make a mistake and ruin your day.  They are people and they make mistakes, just as we all do. 

I'm torn when it comes to review.  I suppose if 1999 never happened I might be fully in favor of no reviews.  Not that the review system worked then either.  Perhaps if there had been no review process we'd have gotten over it sooner, who knows.

So limit it to 10 seconds back and 60 seconds of review. If you can't find it in that time, move on. 

The problem is you don't get that. You get "we better get it right" which leads to millimeter off the ice skate blades which has almost no measurable impact on the game and aren't even in the spirit of the rule. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Just now, LGR4GM said:

So limit it to 10 seconds and 60 seconds of review. If you can't find it in that time, move on. 

The problem is you don't get that. You get "we better get it right" which leads to millimeter off the ice skate blades which has almost no measurable impact on the game and aren't even in the spirit of the rule. 

And you'll still get that mentality because despite the rule on review, media and people will have 15 camera angles showing things at 120fps with image optimization so they can prove the official made the wrong call. The post-game (during game even) media circus and social media frenzy will be worse than starved sharks at a chum bucket (I said CHUM).

8 minutes ago, LTS said:

And you'll still get that mentality because despite the rule on review, media and people will have 15 camera angles showing things at 120fps with image optimization so they can prove the official made the wrong call. The post-game (during game even) media circus and social media frenzy will be worse than starved sharks at a chum bucket (I said CHUM).

So what you are saying is we are screwed either way? 

Boston played its type of game to perfection last night and my man Patrice Bergeron put on a freaking master class.  We can only hope Eichel some day gets to his level; he's nowhere near it now on the defensive side of things.

This has been a quirky playoffs with some unusual results that I wouldn't read too much into.  Carolina finally reached a level where they were exposed; not sure how they got as far as they did.

Now back to SJ and St. Louis.  May the best team win; I just want the series to stay even and go to 7.

The sharks are a good team. 

The sharks have been a good team that gets knocked off in the playoffs. That hasn't changed. 

Vegas beat them (sure they collapsed) but cmon. 

They now have gotten 4 referees and 4 linesman kicked outta the playoffs. 

It's sad because I like SJ, besides thr sabres, it was my first NHL jersey as a kiddo. 

If they're gonna get help, please just push them through and continue giving them help against Boston. 

• Like (+1) 1

Blues off to a good start. 

I will  add that not one player complained or blamed the officials after game 3.  At least not from I’ve seen. 

I’m pulling fir the Blues.   This fan base is one of the best in the US.  They deserve it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.