I hate the Carolina Hurricanes because...

inkman

I hate the Carolina Hurricanes because...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I hate the Carolina Hurricanes because ..

• We lost to them in 2006, no specific reason
    • It was the way we lost. Injuries etc...
    • I hate all things Carolina
    • I admit, it's irrational and weird but I still hate them
    • Other

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The sport of hockey has grown immensely in North Carolina because of the Canes. I recently finished playing some college puck down there and everyone who was on the team and from NC was an avid Carolina fan, watching as many Canes games as I watch Sabres games. There are definitely fewer fans, less passion for hockey, and a lesser understanding of the game, but they do have devoted, knowledgeable, and passionate fans who have suffered through what was previously the longest playoff drought. I absolutely hate the Canes, but to say the Canes have had no impact in NC throughout their history is a boldface lie. 

With that said: Go B’s (???)

You may want to quote whomever or whatever you are talking about 

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

You may want to quote whomever or whatever you are talking about 

Specifically it was in response to Kruppstahl, but I felt like it could have been applied to others so I didn’t think to quote him. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The sport of hockey has grown immensely in North Carolina because of the Canes. I recently finished playing some college puck down there and everyone who was on the team and from NC was an avid Carolina fan, watching as many Canes games as I watch Sabres games. There are definitely fewer fans, less passion for hockey, and a lesser understanding of the game, but they do have devoted, knowledgeable, and passionate fans who have suffered through what was previously the longest playoff drought. I absolutely hate the Canes, but to say the Canes have had no impact in NC throughout their history is a boldface lie. 

With that said: Go B’s (???)

I pretty much agree with this assessment,  its just very difficult to find a true native around here!

My beef is with the team 1A/1B fans. My neighbor who I mentioned last night isnt an NC native, he is from Illinois and grew up following the Blackhawks but moved here in the late 90s and adopted the canes as his team. He never celebrated the Blackhawks winning their cups and he certainly never sits in his season ticket seats with a blackhawk jersey on when they come to town. In other words I have no beef with someone moving here and adopting the Canes as their team, just dont hedge your bets and be a team swapping *****.

I once saw someone at a Canes sabres game wearing a canes jersey and sabres hat. That was as mind boggling to me as seeing someone wearing a MAGA hat with a Hillary shirt.

5 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

I have no beef with someone moving here and adopting the Canes as their team, just dont hedge your bets and be a team swapping *****.

I once saw someone at a Canes sabres game wearing a canes jersey and sabres hat. That was as mind boggling to me as seeing someone wearing a MAGA hat with a Hillary shirt.

I'm in the opposite camp.  The Sabres will always be #1, but will root the local Dallas Stars, albeit casually.  I call them my friends-with-benefits team:  I'll spend an evening with them, but there's no emotional attachment.  I was far more nerved up about the Sabres losing streak and drop from playoff contention than I was about the Stars elimination last night.  I was pulling for them, but once it was over, it was over.  No wailing and gnashing of teeth, except for the thought that the Stars loss hurt the Sabres draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1

North Carolina resident since 1973 here.  Fun thread!

I went to Game 2 of the Hurricanes/Sabres series in 2006, and I swear it was like a modern day Twilight Zone episode.  I have never seen a more intense example of collective insanity before or since.  As Claude Verret mentioned earlier, there were pot shots on the scoreboard at Buffalo in literally every message that was displayed between whistles.  Virtually every vendor had similar signs, and all the signs brought in by the fans were the same way.  It was a North Korea-esque example of “drinking the koolaid”, a completely detached brainwashed alternate reality.  I’m thankful I did not wear Sabres stuff.  I have literally never been back and never will.

If there was ever a less deserving Stanley Cup Champ than the 2006 Canes, it was way before my time.  First of all they got a 3 seed just because they were a division winner in a totally ***** division, but they weren’t anything near the #3 team in the conference.  Round 1 they went down 2 games to the Habs and then virtually gouged out the eye of the captain and heartbeat of Montreal, Saku Koivu, and knocked him out of the series.  I remember there was no suspension.   I seem to remember there wasn’t even a penalty (needs to be fact-checked).  They beat the Devils next round largely because the Devils swept their first round and had something like 11 days off.  We know what happened in round 3.  In the finals, they needed all 7 games to beat the 8 seed in Edmonton who was playing their 3rd string goalie.  This is not the definition of a champion, far from it.

I’m with #freejame.  The Canes have been incredibly influential in growing hockey in NC.

I’m with Claude Verret and SwampD.  This is sports.  It’s tribal.  We can hate whoever we want, as much as we want, even for irrational reasons, providing it doesn’t manifest its way into antisocial behavior.

I’m with NS.  The Flyers are my absolute most hated team in the NHL (since before 1975) and that will always be the case.  For you Twin Peaks fans out there, the city of Philadelphia is the real “Black Lodge”.  The fact that that city is named “the City of Brotherly Love” is the most ironic use of the English language imaginable.  In 1985 the mayor and the Police Department decided it would be a good idea to firebomb a neighborhood with incendiary bombs dropped from Police helicopters due to unrest.  Google “1985 MOVE bombing” for details.  Then google Frank Rizzo while you’re at it.  He was a brutal mayor and Police Chief back in the 60’s and 70’s, and a truly violent fascist by any definition of the word.

I understand the Boston hatred 110%.  I do.  I even enjoy it myself (how about those Celtics!).  But I’m not rooting for the Canes.  I was glad the Bruins beat the Leafs, and I will be content, for lack of a better word, if they beat the Canes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BagBoy said:

North Carolina resident since 1973 here.  Fun thread!

I went to Game 2 of the Hurricanes/Sabres series in 2006, and I swear it was like a modern day Twilight Zone episode.  I have never seen a more intense example of collective insanity before or since.  As Claude Verret mentioned earlier, there were pot shots on the scoreboard at Buffalo in literally every message that was displayed between whistles.  Virtually every vendor had similar signs, and all the signs brought in by the fans were the same way.  It was a North Korea-esque example of “drinking the koolaid”, a completely detached brainwashed alternate reality.  I’m thankful I did not wear Sabres stuff.  I have literally never been back and never will.

If there was ever a less deserving Stanley Cup Champ than the 2006 Canes, it was way before my time.  First of all they got a 3 seed just because they were a division winner in a totally ***** division, but they weren’t anything near the #3 team in the conference.  Round 1 they went down 2 games to the Habs and then virtually gouged out the eye of the captain and heartbeat of Montreal, Saku Koivu, and knocked him out of the series.  I remember there was no suspension.   I seem to remember there wasn’t even a penalty (needs to be fact-checked).  They beat the Devils next round largely because the Devils swept their first round and had something like 11 days off.  We know what happened in round 3.  In the finals, they needed all 7 games to beat the 8 seed in Edmonton who was playing their 3rd string goalie.  This is not the definition of a champion, far from it.

I’m with #freejame.  The Canes have been incredibly influential in growing hockey in NC.

I’m with Claude Verret and SwampD.  This is sports.  It’s tribal.  We can hate whoever we want, as much as we want, even for irrational reasons, providing it doesn’t manifest its way into antisocial behavior.

I’m with NS.  The Flyers are my absolute most hated team in the NHL (since before 1975) and that will always be the case.  For you Twin Peaks fans out there, the city of Philadelphia is the real “Black Lodge”.  The fact that that city is named “the City of Brotherly Love” is the most ironic use of the English language imaginable.  In 1985 the mayor and the Police Department decided it would be a good idea to firebomb a neighborhood with incendiary bombs dropped from Police helicopters due to unrest.  Google “1985 MOVE bombing” for details.  Then google Frank Rizzo while you’re at it.  He was a brutal mayor and Police Chief back in the 60’s and 70’s, and a truly violent fascist by any definition of the word.

I understand the Boston hatred 110%.  I do.  I even enjoy it myself (how about those Celtics!).  But I’m not rooting for the Canes.  I was glad the Bruins beat the Leafs, and I will be content, for lack of a better word, if they beat the Canes.

If you have a problem with the Canes franchise hating on Buffalo, I'm wondering why the MOVE disaster is fair game when hating on Philly.

And booooo, Canes, for taking seven games to win that Cup! @SDS

Edited by PASabreFan

I dont blame Canes fans for hating Buffalo at all.  It's just out of proportion. We came in for game one in droves, won the game and had some Sabres fans acting like major league jackasses. We still take over their arena now. It's not at all unlike to complaints we see on here with Leaf fans and some of the boorish behavior that goes on at FNC. Stuff like that stokes the tribal passions and really is what sports is all about, again minus the few true jackasses.

Theres two unique problems with Carolina that I contend are different than Buffalo/Toronto or likely almost anywhere else. 

1.) The over the top hyperbole around sabres fans here. I'll admit some of this has died down in recent years, but it does persist.

2.) The fact that the canes organization itself participated in furthering this hyperbole and exacerbated it with their actions. Bush league nonsense.

Pretty sure my biggest issue w/ Canes "fans" was their following their beloved (former Phlyer) captain whining about Lindy Ruff IMMEDIATELY AFTER WINNING THE STANLEY CUP by still literally whining about the Sabres & their fans & coach right after their team had won when they SHOULD be celebrating having just won the championship.

Talk about idiots.  Right up there with Cowboy fans chanting "three beat" on the way out of the Rosebowl.  Yes, your d-bag Pokes have lost 3 Superbowls as well, why are you pointing out your failures rather than celebrating your victory?  Huh?  Exactly, d-bag.

Edited by Taro T

10 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

It feels so good to watch a team you hate get swept and shutout in the last game on home ice. That was the most fun I've had watching hockey since the mirage that was the 10 game winning streak.

Now F Boston.

Have you found any of those brands new car flags abandoned on the side of the road yet?

31 minutes ago, shrader said:

Have you found any of those brands new car flags abandoned on the side of the road yet?

Not yet, but I didnt see nary a one on a car on my drive into the office this morning...beautiful. 

I do feel bad for my neighbor who is one of the true diehards. I'll just keep my distance for awhile.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, Claude_Verret said:

I dont blame Canes fans for hating Buffalo at all.  It's just out of proportion. We came in for game one in droves, won the game and had some Sabres fans acting like major league jackasses. We still take over their arena now. It's not at all unlike to complaints we see on here with Leaf fans and some of the boorish behavior that goes on at FNC. Stuff like that stokes the tribal passions and really is what sports is all about, again minus the few true jackasses.

Theres two unique problems with Carolina that I contend are different than Buffalo/Toronto or likely almost anywhere else. 

1.) The over the top hyperbole around sabres fans here. I'll admit some of this has died down in recent years, but it does persist.

2.) The fact that the canes organization itself participated in furthering this hyperbole and exacerbated it with their actions. Bush league nonsense.

This, more than anything, is what draws my ire. They straight up tried to ban Sabres fans from their games.

I will hate the Canes for that BS for as long as there is breath in my lungs and blood in my veins.

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Add 'They got swept in the ECF by Boston' to the list of reasons I hate the Hurricanes

I think this was the best scenario for Boston hopefully losing in the next round. They are playing like a well oiled beast of a hockey team right now. Maybe the extra time off will allow some rust to develop.

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

I think this was the best scenario for Boston hopefully losing in the next round. They are playing like a well oiled beast of a hockey team right now. Maybe the extra time off will allow some rust to develop.

Pittsburgh swept by Islanders swept by Carolina swept by Boston swept by...

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

I will never root for Boston but the silver lining to them winning is the fact that they swept them. Every team that swept their opponent this playoffs has lost in the next round. I hope the Blues/Sharks series goes the full 7 games just to give them that much extra down time so they hopefully come out flat in the finals. The battle of Rust vs Rest definitely seems to be favoring Rust.

2 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I will never root for Boston but the silver lining to them winning is the fact that they swept them. Every team that swept their opponent this playoffs has lost in the next round. I hope the Blues/Sharks series goes the full 7 games just to give them that much extra down time so they hopefully come out flat in the finals. The battle of Rust vs Rest definitely seems to be favoring Rust.

The Bruins will potentially be rusty in game 1. But they won't forget how to play hockey in 11 days. The East is so much better, the West team is going to be so much more beat up, the Bruins are going to roll regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The Bruins will potentially be rusty in game 1. But they won't forget how to play hockey in 11 days. The East is so much better, the West team is going to be so much more beat up, the Bruins are going to roll regardless. 

It's not that they forget how to play, but something is causing the teams who sweep to get overwhelmed the next round.

Round 1

Columbus and the Islanders both swept their opponents and both lost in round 2, with the Islanders getting swept themselves 

Round 2

Carolina swept the Islanders, then got swept in round 3

I just hope the pattern holds.

1 minute ago, Drunkard said:

It's not that they forget how to play, but something is causing the teams who sweep to get overwhelmed the next round.

Round 1

Columbus and the Islanders both swept their opponents and both lost in round 2, with the Islanders getting swept themselves 

Round 2

Carolina swept the Islanders, then got swept in round 3

I just hope the pattern holds.

I just think the addition of a Western Conference variable to the equation is going to change all that. 

There's a stark difference in how the Bruins look vs how the Sharks look right now. If the officials continue buoying the Sharks, all bets are off, though. 

• inkman locked this topic