I hate the Carolina Hurricanes because...

inkman

I hate the Carolina Hurricanes because...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I hate the Carolina Hurricanes because ..

• We lost to them in 2006, no specific reason
    • It was the way we lost. Injuries etc...
    • I hate all things Carolina
    • I admit, it's irrational and weird but I still hate them
    • Other

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I went to the Canes-Sabres game on Dec. 23, 2017. What was I supposed to see? I saw a good-sized crowd, maybe a sellout, passionately supporting a team that was as crummy as the Sabres. Objectively speaking it was an atmosphere you rarely see in Buffalo. You'd probably have to take a Thanksgiving Eve drunkfest in Buffalo to match it. People stood when the Canes scored. It was... uncanny. And for such an unsophisticated bunch, I didn't hear whistles and catcalls when obvious offside and icing calls went against the Canes.

This thread is sad. I'm not going to hate a franchise and its fans because 1. Jay McKee's leg got infected 2. Carolina won that Game 7 and then the Cup 3. They got back to the playoffs before we did. 4. Hockey fans are hockey fans (and the worst fans of all are visiting male fans).

Absolutely nothing to see here. Except more evidence that we've bottomed out. Carolina? We hate Carolina? Meanwhile, do they even know we exist?

I get what you’re saying.  It could apply to Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Et al.  I think the topic looks for the unique and irrational feel that Carolina gives some of us, your rational response acknowledged.

I like the Leafs and Bruins.

For the record ...  you are reining in hot takes with the observation that things are often just as they appear and should not be turned into something greater.  Amen!

6 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

Of course youd never hate the canes when you're someone whose entire board schtick is predicated on being the enlightened contrarian.  

If I have to be unenlightened and a lemming to adopt your opinion, no thanks.

I wonder who fans of the New Jersey Nets hate? Isn't it sad?

If the Ssbres started taking pot shots on the scoreboard at visiting teams  fan bases would that be a case of those visiting fans being "sad" or yet another reason for Pegula bad?

If the Sabres started handing out fan behavior expectation cards to visiting fans would that be because those fans should expect to be judged by the actions of a few, or yet another reason for Pegula bad?

If the Sabres started not taking ticket orders from visiting zip codes would that be because Pegula bad?

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If I have to be unenlightened and a lemming to adopt your opinion, no thanks.

I wonder who fans of the New Jersey Nets hate? Isn't it sad?

The Knicks.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

I get what you’re saying.  It could apply to Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, Et al.  I think the topic looks for the unique and irrational feel that Carolina gives some of us, your rational response acknowledged.

I like the Leafs and Bruins.

For the record ...  you are reining in hot takes with the observation that things are often just as they appear and should not be turned into something greater.  Amen!

If there's hatred — and I don't think there really is, not like Boston would hate New York in baseball or something — and you want to get to the irrational, I'd look at how the population has drained out of the north and into places like Raleigh. A lot of people who are left can be bitter. I feel that way at times. I can't apply it to sports though.

Edited by PASabreFan

4 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

If the Ssbres started taking pot shots on the scoreboard at visiting teams  fan bases would that be a case of those visiting fans being "sad" or yet another reason for Pegula bad?

If the Sabres started handing out fan behavior expectation cards to visiting fans would that be because those fans should expect to be judged by the actions of a few, or yet another reason for Pegula bad?

If the Sabres started not taking ticket orders from visiting zip codes would that be because Pegula bad?

I don't like 1. or 2. but I wouldn't be mad at Terry. Maybe Kim a little, because that's her area. As for 3. I'd kiss Terry on the lips if he ever authorized that (or somehow fixed the arena being half full of opposition fans).

I’ll say it again. I hate the Hurricanes. I don’t need a reason and I certainly don’t need PA’s approval. I unapologetically ***** hate the Hurricanes, their fans, the city, the state, the region. I hope they get crushed in the ECFs.

And PA, Hurricanes fans absolutely know we exist. I actually think they hate us more than we hate them, which is even more inexplicable.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't like 1. or 2. but I wouldn't be mad at Terry. Maybe Kim a little, because that's her area. As for 3. I'd kiss Terry on the lips if he ever authorized that (or somehow fixed the arena being half full of opposition fans).

If you went in 2017 then I dont think they were doing the behavior cards / scoreboard thing anymore. To the best of my recollection they finally stopped this in the past five years or so. Were you wearing any Sabres gear when you went?

I couldn't have been the only one to write the canes about this ludicrous bush league practice. Here's a card outlining behavior violations that will get you ejected, meanwhile dont mind all the pot shots we are going to take at your team and city on the scoreboard.  Just let that go. It's not like that stuff isnt going to rile up both canes and sabres fans alike. Idiots.

Yeah I hate the friggin canes and their whole team swapping playoff bandwagon fan base. And I'm not a lemming, if anything I'm pretty darn close to patient zero in my burning hatred of the canes.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’ll say it again. I hate the Hurricanes. I don’t need a reason and I certainly don’t need PA’s approval. I unapologetically ***** hate the Hurricanes, their fans, the city, the state, the region. I hope they get crushed in the ECFs.

And PA, Hurricanes fans absolutely know we exist. I actually think they hate us more than we hate them, which is even more inexplicable.

See this is the kind of petty hatred in sports that I love 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Isn't this where the whole baby eating phenomenon came from?  They hate the Sabres / fans due to the raucous bahavior stemming from that series at their home games. It actually makes sense. They dislike abhorrent behavior. I'm certain Sabres fans in Carolina were doing things deserv-ed of their acrimony. 

Us hating them on the other hand.  You're not us. I hate you. But it's different than that. I specifically hate you because we were having fun and you guys ruined it and you didn't deserve it because you guys don't "get" hockey. Still seems weird to me. 

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

Isn't this where the whole baby eating phenomenon came from?  They hate the Sabres / fans due to the raucous bahavior stemming from that series at their home games. It actually makes sense. They dislike abhorrent behavior. I'm certain Sabres fans in Carolina were doing things deserv-ed of their acrimony. 

Us hating them on the other hand.  You're not us. I hate you. But it's different than that. I specifically hate you because we were having fun and you guys ruined it and you didn't deserve it because you guys don't "get" hockey. Still seems weird to me. 

Is it really that weird? You hold those feelings for those other teams for the same reason. It’s been a really long time since the Sabres have been good. For a lot of fans, the Hurricanes are the only team that they have experienced pissing in our Cheerios.

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yes, the baby eating thing came from a very small minority of Sabres fans acting like jackasses (some might question the wisdom of handing out pint glasses when they knew 6000 opposing fans would be in attendance) and their fan base in turn completely demonizing everything Buffalo.  Luke DeCock et al. wrote articles that only served to make things worse.  So we met their hyperbole with some of our own. 

Again, like Swamp says why is this so hard to imagine that we would hate a team with a ***** and largely fake fan base that also hates us?  As a Sabres fan would you welcome the Leafs, Bruins and Habs fans that come to games all year in their teams jerseys only to swap it for a Sabres sweater if (big if) the Sabres were ever to make the playoffs again?  I'd tell those fans to go pound sand.  I personally know about a dozen people here who do exactly that whenever the Canes make the playoffs.  Fake fans are the worst kind.

1 hour ago, Claude_Verret said:

Yes, the baby eating thing came from a very small minority of Sabres fans acting like jackasses (some might question the wisdom of handing out pint glasses when they knew 6000 opposing fans would be in attendance) and their fan base in turn completely demonizing everything Buffalo.  Luke DeCock et al. wrote articles that only served to make things worse.  So we met their hyperbole with some of our own. 

Again, like Swamp says why is this so hard to imagine that we would hate a team with a ***** and largely fake fan base that also hates us?  As a Sabres fan would you welcome the Leafs, Bruins and Habs fans that come to games all year in their teams jerseys only to swap it for a Sabres sweater if (big if) the Sabres were ever to make the playoffs again?  I'd tell those fans to go pound sand.  I personally know about a dozen people here who do exactly that whenever the Canes make the playoffs.  Fake fans are the worst kind.

My hatred of other teams, minus the Yankees, stems from on ice actions. Not how fans root for their teams. Bruins, crippled Thomas Vanek, I hate them. Leafs more dirty plays and cheap shots than I can remember. I hate them.  Same goes for the flyers. It's not because their fans suck. Largely, most over the top fans suck. For any team including Buffalo fans. I just can't hate the Canes as i don't think of that series with anything other than disappointment. Maybe fans are redirecting their anger. Maybe they should be angry with Jay McKee or Darcy Regeir. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Is it really that weird? You hold those feelings for those other teams for the same reason. It’s been a really long time since the Sabres have been good. For a lot of fans, the Hurricanes are the only team that they have experienced pissing in our Cheerios.

I guess if you are under 30, then this is all you have. You'd think having 10,000 ***** Leafs fans invade the city every game would be more inciteful but the heart wants what the heart wants. 

41 minutes ago, inkman said:

My hatred of other teams, minus the Yankees, stems from on ice actions. Not how fans root for their teams. Bruins, crippled Thomas Vanek, I hate them. Leafs more dirty plays and cheap shots than I can remember. I hate them.  Same goes for the flyers. It's not because their fans suck. Largely, most over the top fans suck. For any team including Buffalo fans. I just can't hate the Canes as i don't think of that series with anything other than disappointment. Maybe fans are redirecting their anger. Maybe they should be angry with Jay McKee or Darcy Regeir. 

I guess if you are under 30, then this is all you have. You'd think having 10,000 ***** Leafs fans invade the city every game would be more inciteful but the heart wants what the heart wants. 

That's a perfectly fine reason to get your hate on, but it's no more or less valid than anyone else's reasons on here. Either way I'd argue theres plenty to hate about guys like Brind'amour, Weight, Laviolette and others from that 2006 team. That series way back when was only a spark, the canes organization has done plenty since to give us reasons to hate them. 

Edit to add: I hate the Bruins because of guys like Brad Park and Terry O'Reilly.  If there are rules for hating and it's to be limited to on ice factors am I still allowed to hate them 30+ years after they have retired?

Edited by Claude_Verret

Anyone rooting against the Canes has to be rooting against the Stars, right?  I mean, Dallas cheated their way to a Cup at our expense.   At least Carolina earned it fair and square, even if they didn’t get our best.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Anyone rooting against the Canes has to be rooting against the Stars, right?  I mean, Dallas cheated their way to a Cup at our expense.   At least Carolina earned it fair and square, even if they didn’t get our best.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Why? The stars didnt screw us, Bettman did. We should hate Bettman. 

Hate who you want for whatever reasons you have. 

When you get right down to it I pretty much hate every other team on a sliding scale depending on circumstances.  Do I have today a deep burning hatred for the Columbus Blue Jackets? Absolutely not. But if they are ever standing in the way of the Sabres in their quest for a Cup then they will be enemy #1. I will hate them. Sports are meant to stoke our tribal instincts, you hate who you hate because you hate them. In no way is it supposed to be a rational process with rules and regulations guiding your decisions. It comes from the gut.

I hate the Bruins and I hate the Canes, but if the play each other in the ECF then the enemy of my larger enemy becomes my friend. Go Bruins.