Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Marchand'sNose

(OT) Buffalo Bandits 2019 Playoff Thread!

Recommended Posts

So the Bandits just completed a pretty good regular season, finishing with the best record in the league, scoring the most goals, and giving up the fewest goals. First-year co-head coaches, John Tavares and Rich Kilgour, have done an excellent job coaching up a team that was the second-worst in the league last year. Matt Vinc is simply the greatest lax goalie of all time and probably is the biggest reason for the huge turnaround. Dhane Smith and Shawn Evans are maintaining their typical elite level of forward play. I think adding rookie first-rounders, Gilray and MacKay, to the defense has helped a lot as well.

The division semi-final is this Saturday night, 7:30pm, KeyBank Center, versus the New England Black Wolves. I believe everyone is healthy except Hoggarth. Anyone here following the Bandits? Who's planning on going?!

Oh yeah...I should probably mention: the Bandits are Buffalo's third (and lesser known) professional sports team. They are part of the National Lacrosse League, the highest level of lacrosse played in the world (maybe fans of the less popular outdoor lax league, Major League Lacrosse, will challenge that statement).

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my kids to the first Bandits game ever tonight and I have to tell you, they had more fun at that playoff win than any Sabres game they've been to in over 5 years. Great and pathetic at the same time for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advanced to the conference final this Saturday at KBC. Let's go BAN-DITS!

 

The Bandits move on to the NLL East Division Final next week, facing the winner of the Georgia Swarm and Toronto Rock matchup taking place on Monday at 7:30pm ET. 

Edited by Samson's Flow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s go Bandits. I love watching the NLL and remember being their when they won it in 93 and 96 I was young so the years might be off and had season tickets when they first left the Aud. It’s a great game and really exciting so I can see why younger fans would enjoy it. Living out here in CT I’m happy they have a team bc it allows me to see the game I grew up watching and playing. And us Bandits fans were lucky to watch the best lacrosse player of all time in John Tavares, his nephew has nothing on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

Let’s go Bandits. I love watching the NLL and remember being their when they won it in 93 and 96 I was young so the years might be off and had season tickets when they first left the Aud. It’s a great game and really exciting so I can see why younger fans would enjoy it. Living out here in CT I’m happy they have a team bc it allows me to see the game I grew up watching and playing. And us Bandits fans were lucky to watch the best lacrosse player of all time in John Tavares, his nephew has nothing on him. 

I don't know, I'd say the young Tavares had about 15.9 million somethings on his uncle this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shrader said:

I don't know, I'd say the young Tavares had about 15.9 million somethings on his uncle this year.

I’ll give you that he’s got the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's go, BAN-Dits!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 12:03 AM, CallawaySabres said:

I took my kids to the first Bandits game ever tonight and I have to tell you, they had more fun at that playoff win than any Sabres game they've been to in over 5 years. Great and pathetic at the same time for sure.

Glad to hear they had fun! Bandits games are always a good time and like a giant party, partly because a non-trivial percentage of the fanbase are just naturally INSANE about lacrosse. However, it does help that the Bandits are almost always fielding a competitive team (4 league titles at the moment, 9 championship game appearances at the moment, 22 playoff appearances in 28 seasons of existence, only 5 seasons of missing playoffs by a game or less, and only 1 season of missing playoffs by 2 games). The Bandits are always in "win now" mode, which makes going to their games meaningful. It helps that Terry Pegula doesn't even know that he owns a pro lacrosse team; otherwise, he probably would have turned the Bandits into the Sabres of the past decade.

The division final begins this Saturday night, 7:30pm, at KeyBank Center!!! The good guys are playing Toronto, so I'm guessing the place will be packed with a fair number of their fans. Possibly a sell-out crowd? This will be a very difficult opponent for the Bandits because they don't seem to match up well with Toronto (1-2 against them this season). However, we do have "playoff mode Vinc" on our side this year! I also think the Bandits are the most talented remaining playoff team on paper by a decent margin, now that Georgia and Saskatchewan were knocked out in the first round. And they have momentum on their side, as they've now won 3 blowout games in a row after the OT loss to Toronto a month ago. It's been 11 full years since the Bandits last won a championship title, but this year feels like our best chance since that 2008 title.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Los Banditos win again!!!

Here's the schedule for the finals:

Game 1: this coming Sat, May 18, 7:30pm, KeyBank Center

Game 2: Sat, May 25, 9pm, at Calgary

Game 3, if necessary: Fri, May 31, 8pm, KeyBank Center

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Los Banditos win again!!!

Here's the schedule for the finals:

Game 1: this coming Sat, May 18, 7:30pm, KeyBank Center

Game 2: Sat, May 25, 9pm, at Calgary

Game 3, if necessary: Fri, May 31, 8pm, KeyBank Center

Cool.  Never a sad day when a Buffalo based team beats one from TO.  

Let's go BAN-Dits!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Cool.  Never a sad day when a Buffalo based team beats one from TO.  

Let's go BAN-Dits!

Especially in the playoffs.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will these games be on TV? I'd like to watch, even though it will ensure defeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Will these games be on TV? I'd like to watch, even though it will ensure defeat.

I know the regular season was streamed on BR Live subscription 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was watching. What a joke. Buffalo lost in OT and was swept in the championship series despite being the consensus favorites. I'm really getting fatigued with Buffalo pro sports and the Terry Pegula sports empire. I will enjoy the long summer off from anything related to the Sabres/Bills/Bandits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone watching/listening to the game now? 13-13 in OT. Bandits score with :23 to go.

 

9 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Yeah I was watching. What a joke. Buffalo lost in OT and was swept in the championship series despite being the consensus favorites. I'm really getting fatigued with Buffalo pro sports and the Terry Pegula sports empire. I will enjoy the long summer off from anything related to the Sabres/Bills/Bandits.

Bummer.  Didn't know the game was being shown.  Would rather have watched that than the background noise that we did watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Yeah I was watching. What a joke. Buffalo lost in OT and was swept in the championship series despite being the consensus favorites. I'm really getting fatigued with Buffalo pro sports and the Terry Pegula sports empire. I will enjoy the long summer off from anything related to the Sabres/Bills/Bandits.

I'm sure Terry's ownership is why they lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure Terry's ownership is why they lost.

 

That's not what I meant. Terry has absolutely ruined the Sabres franchise, screwed up with the Rex Ryan hire with the Bills, and doesn't even know he owns the Bandits. If he did, the Bandits probably never would have even made it to the playoffs.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

 

That's not what I meant. Terry has absolutely ruined the Sabres franchise, screwed up with the Rex Ryan hire with the Bills, and doesn't even know he owns the Bandits. If he did, the Bandits probably never would have even made it to the playoffs.

Fairly certain he got sold a bill of goods on Ryan and HOPE he got sold a bill of goods on the tank.

The Bills seem to be getting their heads out of the oriface they'd been in most of this century.  And the Sabres MIGHT not stink next year.

Not sure what any of that has to do with the Bandits though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in the two irrelevant sports, the Beauts and Bandits both made the championship round. But in true Buffalo fashion they both lost.  The Bandits if I’m not mistaken were the favorites to win it all.  The Beauts had like the top-5 players in that defunct league and still couldn’t win it. That’s all. Thanks Pegula for trying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uggh...no excuse to lose to a team twice in a row that barely had a winning record during the season...Bandits were the leaders in both goals for and goals against during the year...basically they were the Tampa Bay Lightning of NLL..except they got to the final...

54 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Well, in the two irrelevant sports, the Beauts and Bandits both made the championship round. But in true Buffalo fashion they both lost.  The Bandits if I’m not mistaken were the favorites to win it all.  The Beauts had like the top-5 players in that defunct league and still couldn’t win it. That’s all. Thanks Pegula for trying 

Bandits were the best team in the NLL this year with a 14-4 record and led in both goals for, goals against and obviously net differential...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...