Marchand'sNose

(OT) Buffalo Bandits 2019 Playoff Thread!

So the Bandits just completed a pretty good regular season, finishing with the best record in the league, scoring the most goals, and giving up the fewest goals. First-year co-head coaches, John Tavares and Rich Kilgour, have done an excellent job coaching up a team that was the second-worst in the league last year. Matt Vinc is simply the greatest lax goalie of all time and probably is the biggest reason for the huge turnaround. Dhane Smith and Shawn Evans are maintaining their typical elite level of forward play. I think adding rookie first-rounders, Gilray and MacKay, to the defense has helped a lot as well.

The division semi-final is this Saturday night, 7:30pm, KeyBank Center, versus the New England Black Wolves. I believe everyone is healthy except Hoggarth. Anyone here following the Bandits? Who's planning on going?!

Oh yeah...I should probably mention: the Bandits are Buffalo's third (and lesser known) professional sports team. They are part of the National Lacrosse League, the highest level of lacrosse played in the world (maybe fans of the less popular outdoor lax league, Major League Lacrosse, will challenge that statement).

• Like (+1) 2

I took my kids to the first Bandits game ever tonight and I have to tell you, they had more fun at that playoff win than any Sabres game they've been to in over 5 years. Great and pathetic at the same time for sure.

Advanced to the conference final this Saturday at KBC. Let's go BAN-DITS!

The Bandits move on to the NLL East Division Final next week, facing the winner of the Georgia Swarm and Toronto Rock matchup taking place on Monday at 7:30pm ET. 

Edited by Samson's Flow

Let’s go Bandits. I love watching the NLL and remember being their when they won it in 93 and 96 I was young so the years might be off and had season tickets when they first left the Aud. It’s a great game and really exciting so I can see why younger fans would enjoy it. Living out here in CT I’m happy they have a team bc it allows me to see the game I grew up watching and playing. And us Bandits fans were lucky to watch the best lacrosse player of all time in John Tavares, his nephew has nothing on him. 

32 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

Let’s go Bandits. I love watching the NLL and remember being their when they won it in 93 and 96 I was young so the years might be off and had season tickets when they first left the Aud. It’s a great game and really exciting so I can see why younger fans would enjoy it. Living out here in CT I’m happy they have a team bc it allows me to see the game I grew up watching and playing. And us Bandits fans were lucky to watch the best lacrosse player of all time in John Tavares, his nephew has nothing on him. 

I don't know, I'd say the young Tavares had about 15.9 million somethings on his uncle this year.

Just now, shrader said:

I don't know, I'd say the young Tavares had about 15.9 million somethings on his uncle this year.

I’ll give you that he’s got the money. 

Let's go, BAN-Dits!!!

On 5/5/2019 at 12:03 AM, CallawaySabres said:

I took my kids to the first Bandits game ever tonight and I have to tell you, they had more fun at that playoff win than any Sabres game they've been to in over 5 years. Great and pathetic at the same time for sure.

Glad to hear they had fun! Bandits games are always a good time and like a giant party, partly because a non-trivial percentage of the fanbase are just naturally INSANE about lacrosse. However, it does help that the Bandits are almost always fielding a competitive team (4 league titles at the moment, 9 championship game appearances at the moment, 22 playoff appearances in 28 seasons of existence, only 5 seasons of missing playoffs by a game or less, and only 1 season of missing playoffs by 2 games). The Bandits are always in "win now" mode, which makes going to their games meaningful. It helps that Terry Pegula doesn't even know that he owns a pro lacrosse team; otherwise, he probably would have turned the Bandits into the Sabres of the past decade.

The division final begins this Saturday night, 7:30pm, at KeyBank Center!!! The good guys are playing Toronto, so I'm guessing the place will be packed with a fair number of their fans. Possibly a sell-out crowd? This will be a very difficult opponent for the Bandits because they don't seem to match up well with Toronto (1-2 against them this season). However, we do have "playoff mode Vinc" on our side this year! I also think the Bandits are the most talented remaining playoff team on paper by a decent margin, now that Georgia and Saskatchewan were knocked out in the first round. And they have momentum on their side, as they've now won 3 blowout games in a row after the OT loss to Toronto a month ago. It's been 11 full years since the Bandits last won a championship title, but this year feels like our best chance since that 2008 title.

Los Banditos win again!!!

Here's the schedule for the finals:

Game 1: this coming Sat, May 18, 7:30pm, KeyBank Center

Game 2: Sat, May 25, 9pm, at Calgary

Game 3, if necessary: Fri, May 31, 8pm, KeyBank Center

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Los Banditos win again!!!

Here's the schedule for the finals:

Game 1: this coming Sat, May 18, 7:30pm, KeyBank Center

Game 2: Sat, May 25, 9pm, at Calgary

Game 3, if necessary: Fri, May 31, 8pm, KeyBank Center

Cool.  Never a sad day when a Buffalo based team beats one from TO.  

Let's go BAN-Dits!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Cool.  Never a sad day when a Buffalo based team beats one from TO.  

Let's go BAN-Dits!

Especially in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Will these games be on TV? I'd like to watch, even though it will ensure defeat.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Will these games be on TV? I'd like to watch, even though it will ensure defeat.

I know the regular season was streamed on BR Live subscription